• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE-8900 And Beyond:Ongoing Discussions

when you got the cre did you have to set up the frqu. range or did DTB do all that
for ya. just curious ive been looking into who sells these and if there already set up
or not.

What's the frequency range after expansion?

With just doing the expansion procedure on the front of the radio,it's 25.615-28.315 w/10khz selected. The CRE-8900 PDF says more. I think you would have to hook it up to your PC,connector,downloaded program.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 14
With just doing the expansion procedure on the front of the radio,it's 25.615-28.315 w/10khz selected. The CRE-8900 PDF says more. I think you would have to hook it up to your PC,connector,downloaded program.

Programming a total of 60 channels on band F will give you that 'programmable 60 Channel range up to 29.700 MHz. I'm speculating because I don't have a home Internet connection to download the program for this radio.

Last edited:
I finally got around to doing modulation tests on my CRE-8900 w/ stock mic. I'm using my Redman RM 1001-M modulation meter. The radio has to be set at a 4 watt dead key for this test on account of that the instructions that came with the RM 1001-M says that the meter has a limit of 4 watts that can be run through it. The stock mic has a wide dynamic range to it. Since I don't have a tone generator,I just use my voice. When reciting the alphabet,I noticed that different letters produce different audio volume levels with the stock mic. I fixing to wire my Astatic Road Devil mic for this radio. That will insure consistent audio volume levels. I'm thinking that some kind of audio compression circuit could benefit this radio. Note: I'll use my meter to set the modulation level going into this radio.

Yes it does. I'm testing the RD on it right now. Radio mic gain at 45,RD mic gain at full gain. I'm getting better modulation figures. The peaks at 95% and the lows better than 70%. I wired the adapter but it sucks. I'm going for the mic plug itself.
Note: The redman is a slow reacting meter which isn't so peaky

Last edited:
Dang I'm running my radio mic gain at 31 and road devil under 1/4. Otherwise it squeals

I keep my talkback turned off but like M42Duster's pre-fixed 8900, I can faintly hear myself through my external speaker. I keep mine at 31 with the RD gain between 1/2&4/4. If I talk at full volume I can make the stock mic do pretty well. The RD just fills in the valleys in my speech and pumps up the modulation. Good for extreme local distances of 20 to 30 miles during quiet conditions.

I'm wondering if putting a certain value resistor somewhere in the audio chain that that would fix the talkback issue. Also,when I turn the volume all the way down I still hear the receive. Hmmmm

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?