• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE 8900 SSB - don't know if anyone had posted this yet

Can you turn it off and see if you can still hear it? Curious if they are still doing it.

With the TX monitor/talkback off I can hear myself talk but very muted. Maybe it's a mute instead off. I'm guessing that a higher value resistor needs to be put in if that's how it works. I got the mic gain set at 45 and have the echo on. It's not loud enough in my opinion to bug me.

Last edited:
I noticed the slight talkback even with it off on one of my models but it is so quiet I only noticed it when i had it hooked up on the base.

Microphone - road devil all the way for in the mobile. On the base I use the stock microphone without any problems but in the mobile I found the noise cancelling road devil gave great audio and solved all the problems with road noise that the stock mic was picking up.

The stock microphone on these radios is very sensitive, no joke, it sounds like a powerful desk microphone. I have people asking me all the time what kind of base microphone I've using.

Definitely wire direct to the battery. Didn't notice any problems with the depth of the so-239 with any of my connectors. After months of use I still agree the display could be brighter for mobile use but no worse than my older 2950dx in bright sunlight. :) I'm sure future versions will have it licked.

Still my favorite radio - I did notice for the first time it was a bit off frequency one morning after a week of cold temps and no use in the vehicle. After about 30 mins of driving it finally got back to normal but I'd expect that with any radio. Other than that I haven't noticed any drift issues and I continue to great reports every time I use the radio.

I'm excited to see this Anytone 6666, but for now I continue to favor the cre 8900 for an export model.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the comments. I'll have to check the way the SO-239 is bolted on. Maybe I can adjust it. I've noticed that with my K40 antenna PL-259 coax connector that I run out of room to tighten it fully and I can wiggle it slightly. I'm talking on it as of this moment to a local base and am talking to bases 25 miles away. Almost zero background noise tonight.

I noticed the slight talkback even with it off on one of my models but it is so quiet I only noticed it when i had it hooked up on the base.

Microphone - road devil all the way for in the mobile. On the base I use the stock microphone without any problems but in the mobile I found the noise cancelling road devil gave great audio and solved all the problems with road noise that the stock mic was picking up.

The stock microphone on these radios is very sensitive, no joke, it sounds like a powerful desk microphone. I have people asking me all the time what kind of base microphone I've using.

Definitely wire direct to the battery. Didn't notice any problems with the depth of the so-239 with any of my connectors. After months of use I still agree the display could be brighter for mobile use but no worse than my older 2950dx in bright sunlight. :) I'm sure future versions will have it licked.

Still my favorite radio - I did notice for the first time it was a bit off frequency one morning after a week of cold temps and no use in the vehicle. After about 30 mins of driving it finally got back to normal but I'd expect that with any radio. Other than that I haven't noticed any drift issues and I continue to great reports every time I use the radio.

I'm excited to see this Anytone 6666, but for now I continue to favor the cre 8900 for an export model.

I have a RF Limited 2018 Xtreme that I'm thinking about wiring to it. It has a noise reduction switch on it but cuts the audio output by 50 percent. How would you wire a Road Devil to the 8900?

Last edited:
CREMICWiring_zps60250d13.jpg

I'm deliberating on whether to use the 8900 for my base station or not. Just received my Pyramid PS14KX 12/14 surge power supply today. Maybe a desk mic in the D104 spectrum.

I didn't try a D104 desk mic on it but based on 3-4 power microphones I tested I found that most of them overdrove the audio and didn't make me sound any louder or clearer, the exception was the road devil NC but again that was for the mobile use to prevent the background road noise. Of course I'd be interested to hear your results if you do try the D104 combo.

I do prefer the ease of use of my turner +3 in a base setting (hand mics annoy me a bit at home when I want to be lazy) but the cre 8900 is one of the first radios where I've had someone tell me it didn't sound that great compared to the stock microphone. Go figure.

Additionally with all of my microphone wiring to try out different mics at one point I must of had a stray mic wire and blew a trace right off the board. Had to repair it with a by-pass.

Still not exactly sure how I managed it so definitely be careful in your wiring as with these radios it's definitely possible to cause problems if the wiring is incorrect.

Maybe a better audio amplifier section as a separate circuit installed and tapped in bypassing the radio's. just a thought. Trying to get around the SMT

Last edited:
I'm having to push in the mic key fairly hard to keep the radio on transmit mode. It's wanting to unkey and shift a channel down. Oh well! I guess it's time to get a road devil. I was going to get a spare mic from The Mobile Radio Store but if that's a fault of these mics then I don't want one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.