• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE 8900 SSB - don't know if anyone had posted this yet

The talkback issue must be radio specific. The repair shop agreed that mine was very annoying and loud, especially on SSB.

They removed the capacitor that's supposed to fix the sidetone delay. They report an improved rise time, but not sure if it will suit me or not.

They are still waiting on the factory to send them a fix on disabling the talkback.

Does anyone know if the 6 pin RCI mic plug work on the CRE-8900? I've ordered a mic plug from Redman's CB. I'm planning on wiring my 2018 Xtreme mic to it.

id gp with the 2018 before a road devil
also redman has another mic i like its a wilson n/c power mic black w/ gold trim
either of those work great for me

If you're getting feedback you might have wired something incorrectly with the microphone. I can turn the mic gain on the radio to max and the microphone to max without problems.

It's also possible your talkback issue and the feedback are related. Don't know what to tell you. You might try adding a small resistor on the Road Devil, I know I had a key up/audio delay issue with the cre 8900/rd combo on mine and adding a resistor cured that.

I agree with what vetdan said, the audio on the stock microphone is good and I also like the buttons on the mic for changing frequencies, but I also have a vehicle where the RD is a MUST due to the road noise and it does very well.

Got a Road Devil on the way from H&Y. My CRE-8900 stock mic was messing up last night. It wouldn't stay keyed down and it would flip one channel. Haven't had the opportunity to get some contact cleaner yet. I finally get to experience the Road Devil first hand but I'll use my Redman's modulation meter to set the mic gain. Crank the RD all the way up and control it through the radio.
P.S. when pushing the ASQ to turn it off,it won't disengage until I blip the PPT switch.

Last edited:
Got a Road Devil on the way from H&Y. My CRE-8900 stock mic was messing up last night. It wouldn't stay keyed down and it would flip one channel. Haven't had the opportunity to get some contact cleaner yet. I finally get to experience the Road Devil first hand but I'll use my Redman's modulation meter to set the mic gain. Crank the RD all the way up and control it through the radio.

I'm sure you'll like it. Before you wire the mic, push out the 6 pin. That way you never have to worry about it causing any problems. I just went ahead and removed the evens...

The talkback issue must be radio specific. The repair shop agreed that mine was very annoying and loud, especially on SSB.

Yeah...after reading some of your comments about it, I tried it out and it is there for sure. The only time I really notice it though is when it's on the bench mounted at ear level...very faint.

Yeah...after reading some of your comments about it, I tried it out and it is there for sure. The only time I really notice it though is when it's on the bench mounted at ear level...very faint.

Mine was totally unacceptable. The tech at Key CB didn't like it either.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.