• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE 8900 SSB - don't know if anyone had posted this yet

I was thinking the version number was on the board, couldn't remember.

I also thought the software displayed the version info, but could be wrong as well. I guess you could call Dave or PM dd18, he probably knows how to tell. I can't remember, but either the CRE, Anytone or the Stryker showed the version numer and build date. Maybe the CRE doesn't.

Sorry.

Last edited:
Here's another thing I noticed. The SO-239 radio antenna jack is too short long PL-259 screw collars. It doesn't extend out the back of the radio far enough hence the connection isn't tight. You can wiggle the PL-259 connector. I have a 25 year old Radio Shack 2 ft. Jumper that would fit as the R/S radios and jumpers had short barrels on their PL-259's. maybe a right angle PL-259 to SO-239 connector may work if the screw barrel is short. Also,I've adjusted the am dead key to 4 watts on the front panel knob pot. This is good for short range communications. It swings over 21 watts with a 4 watt dead key.

The mic easily picks up breath noise if you're talking into it too close. Some kind of wind sock would be good or turn up the mic gain and talk from a 2 to 3 inch distance. It does pick up wind noise. Maybe a good quality noise cancelliing mic would be good. Everyone I've talked to using the stock mic said that I sound real bassy. I do have a low tone voice though but can talk like an athlete on steroids.

I'm not a bassy sounding person but I do talk monotone generally. I'm not a fan of a mic you have to eat but NC mic may be the best solution... I just don't know... But that has been the most common complaint with those so far...too much road noise.

I haven't tried it turned off. DTB checked it and said it worked fine. I keep the talkback at a 3. I can hear myself when I talk to forcefully into the mic. That's why I'm thinking about either wiring my 2018 or getting a road devil. Something noise cancelliing. I ordered a mini Bearcat external speaker which I plan on mounting behind the seat like Triple 7 does. I also order a right angle So-230 to Pl-259 connector to see if that will work on the too short SO-239 on the radio. The guy I use to perform tests isn't too keen on hearing but I'm watching what I do when he makes his observations. When I blow into the mic he thinks that I am muffled.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.