• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

D-104

I would start with identifying the alloy and thickness of the aluminum-foil diaphragm. Had this notion of visiting the local metal recycling with a mangled MC320 diaphragm. No way I can see to remove one without ruining it for any hope of reuse.

Those guys use a handheld tool that zaps a metal sample. Sorting metals by type is a big deal for a recycler. Pretty sure it creates a brief pulse of X-ray that gets is spectrum analyzed. Position and size of spectral peaks would indicate the identity of each ingredient of an alloy and the percent concentration of each.

From what I remember seeing, it would read out an aluminum alloy by type number.

Just ain't quite got a "round tuit" and sweet-talked one of those guys to zap a MC320 diaphragm and let me copy what it reads out.

Using a different alloy to make a new diaphragm would likely change the sound of the result.

Identifying the alloy is just the start. Where you would buy foil of a desired thickness and formulation is a whole 'nother can of worms to sort out.

I suspect strongly that rebuilding a cartridge with the original piezo element is the way to go. Manufacturing the Rochelle-salt crystal will be very inefficient at first. Until the exact, right 'recipe' is achieved, there will be a lot of reject crystals. You'll also have to set up a saw to cut the crystals into slabs so you can put them at right angles. The MC320 crystal element is a two-layer element with the axis of response for each layer perpendicular to the other. This increases output, and is mentioned in one or more of the patents I saw when I first got curious about this years ago. I had this notion that 1932 high-tech would be 21st-century garage tech.

Maybe, but the statistical nature of manufacturing will still rule the day. The more you make of any one thing, the fewer duds you produce.

And small batches will yield a lot of duds, percentage-wise.

The piezo element that went inside the cartridge came from a company called "Channel Industries". Seems to me they got bought and have a new name. Went looking to see if that piezo crystal could be bought from them, back before I figured out it's not the part that goes bad. This piece was not listed in any of their literature 10 or so years back when I last tracked them down.

Best of luck and 73

Finally have a close approximation of the original diaphragm dimensions.
Like Nomad I think an accurate reproduction would have to take original alloy and work hardening into account.

So which "Alloy" do we drink a toast to?

upload_2020-6-2_12-43-43.png

No news as of yet?
I have little to share since my last post, aside from finding an unmolested 1946 example that had a diaphragm about twice the thickness that we accept as normal. I also rebuilt an element from the late thirties maybe? It had the same very thick element with some foam within the element between the diaphragm and the “puck”. I redid that one as a ceramic. It works very well, but resides in my display case currently. It nearly replicates what I know to be good crystal response as is rebuilt by me. I only revive this thread as I found the great difference in the element thickness. I only wish we had a go to that knew what was up wayyyy back in the day. They are all likely passed on, sadly…

So here is the 1937 sales brochure for Astatic's crystal mikes.

Note the company's location is Youngstown Ohio. They didn't move to Conneaut until 1943.

This was genuine hi-tech 82 years ago.

View attachment 29097 View attachment 29098

Hopefully I didn't shrink these too small to make out the text.

wonder if the dude smoking screwed it up with tar?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.