• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

D-104

I can't give enough compliments on the AM fidelity a good D-104 crystal element can provide when properly loaded above 4 mega ohms. Out of almost 20, I only have two that can still produce the full bass response. I've also spent a lot of time trying to disassemble them and re-glue the element crystal in place. Unfortunately, I've never been able to get the full response back and an 80% restoration is simply not worth the time or effort if it doesn't perform like new when done.

It is worth mentioning that the ceramic element they still use in the D-104 M6B is very similar sounding once the pre amp is converted to a high impedance FET. Use a 10 meg pot as the gate loading for bass control.

Last edited:
One thing I found to be critical when reinstalling the diaphragm was that it cannot even touch the center pin prior to adding the drop of wax. Any mechanical pressure against this pin will destroy the response of the element.

One thing I found to be critical when reinstalling the diaphragm was that it cannot even touch the center pin prior to adding the drop of wax. Any mechanical pressure against this pin will destroy the response of the element.
That is an interesting point, I wonder if some elements would benefit from just heating the wax to allow the components to "rezero" themselves?

Reactions: Rwb
While it's probably a waste of time, someone with interest may want to contact Astatic and inquire about the parts they used to make these elements. By now they may have been trashed since they ceased production. On the other hand, the dies and foil may still be taking up space and avaiable for purchase...

While it's probably a waste of time, someone with interest may want to contact Astatic and inquire about the parts they used to make these elements.

Pretty sure the last owner of the Astatic name that had anything to do with D104 tooling was Conneaut Technologies Inc, better known as "CTI Audio". They were in the commercial sound/recording studio/roadshow mixing-board business when we visited in 1994. The personnel manager who spoke to us pointed to a table in the lobby, made up to look like a trade-show booth. Said the only thing anyone at those shows seemed to recognize was the "lollipop" D-104 included among the product samples. "We should change our name to the D104 company" she cheerfully offered.

They were located in single-story steel buildings on property adjacent to the WW2-era 3-story brick factory building where Astatic made hydrophones and sonar transducers for the war effort, and after. And mikes. And phono pickups.

That building was derelict and falling down in '94. Followed a Google trail a few years back, found CTI got foreclosed over the cost of tearing down the old 3-story brick factory building. Seems the city of Conneaut got tired of waiting, tore it down and foreclosed over the demolition bill. They sold the brand name for CB mikes some time back, and the product lines for commercial and PA mikes to another outfit elsewhere in Ohio.

Seems CTI Audio is now located somewhere called "Brooklyn Ohio".

I'll guess that they do not have a file cabinet filled with secret D104 manufacturing lore.

They were located in single-story steel buildings on property adjacent to the WW2-era 3-story brick factory building where Astatic made hydrophones and sonar transducers for the war effort, and after. And mikes. And phono pickups.

That building was derelict and falling down in '94.
I'll guess that they do not have a file cabinet filled with secret D104 manufacturing lore.

History 'bout older microphone manufacturers is always a good "read". I like the stuff on the West-Tech Services website too.
astatic_factory2.jpg

Attachments

• West-Tech Services - History of Astatic.pdf
    308.4 KB · Views: 336

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated