• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

D&A PDX-400

capt205

Jun 15, 2005
Florida
1 keying tube into 3-6LQ6's into 6-6LQ6's. How do I properly tune this amp? What kind of drive is recommended into it? How much swing will it take? What can I realistically expect this amp to put out?

Knobs it has are: Final Tune, Driver Tune, Antenna Load, and a Driver Load.

This thing is real clean and in real nice shape.

I'm not familiar with that model, can you post a picture of it?

All vintage tube amplifiers were designed for 4 watts input AM and 12-16 watts SSB if there is a single driver tube.

Probably 500 watts or so would be reasonable output (I have not seen this amp or any schematic).

Capt 205,
A PDX-400 is very similar to a old D&A Phantom 500.
Tuning for the first time (assuming the knobs have been moved) is a some what tricky operation.

1. Keep your key up time very short at first, < 10 sec.

2. Tune the final PLATE and LOAD for max dead key, then release the key.

3. Tune the driver PLATE and LOAD for max dead key, then release the key.

4. Repeat step #2.

5. Repeat step #3.

6. Key up your radio (these amps like a low drive) and adjust the grid input tune on the rear of the amp for max output on your watt meter. This matches the radios input (SWR) into the driver tubes of the amp.

7. Now, using a AAAHHHH tone or a long FIIIIVE, adjust the final LOAD knob for max output on your watt meter.

8. Repeat step #7 for the driver LOAD knob.

9. Repeat step #7 for the grid input tune on the rear.

10. Repeat step #7 again for the final LOAD.

The amplifier should now have good dead key with clean, loud audio and good foward swing. Failure to follow the above steps may result in a distorted signal and excessive over heating.

BE CAREFUL!!! The voltage inside this unit WILL kill you. Do not attempt with the case off.

Retune as necessary using ONLY a good quality watt meter, do not rely on the ones on the front of the PDX-400.

They like low drive about 2 watts dead key with lots of audio. Keep the swing down to about a max of 25 watts. Key 2 watts, swing to about 15 watts or so works the best.

As for output, depending on the meter, it should swing to about 850+ if the tubes are good.

Good luck! :)

I had a PDX 400 Its a great unit!!!
As said before...just a tuned out radio 2-4w dk in 25-35w peak
Even justins 50w pep radios wont hurt that amp if the amp is tuned correctly ...
850-1000 pep watts depending on how good the tubes are..
Its a swing amp not a high deadkey amp...
Let us know when u get it all set up ?:)

AM POWER

The PDX-400 is a late version of the "Phantom" model. It has a transistorized keying circuit in place of the tiny 6AQ5 tube older versions used to key the relay. It will not chatter the relay when the radio's carrier is turned down, the way the tube-keyed models did.

Umm, you might want to keep an eyeball on the four (three?) driver tubes. Those models had no fixed bias voltage on them. The radio's AM carrier is what regulates the current on those tubes. As a result it takes more AM carrier than you really want, to keep them from getting too hot. ONLY the VERY earliest PDX had four tubes in the driver stage. All later versions had three drivers and one tube in its own socket nearer the chassis center. That fourth tube MUST be in place, even if it has no connection to the "linear" hookup. Since this model splits 12.6 Volts AC across pairs of 6.3-Volt heaters, that one, single tube has to be plugged in. Or, one of the three drivers will have a dark heater. That's all it does, to make one of the driver heaters light up. Trying to eliminate this tube, putting a resistor in to drop 6.3 Volts will probably not work right. IF that 50-50 voltage split isn't nearly perfect, the "odd" driver tube may try to pull more power than the other two. When that happens, it will "cherry" and fail. Using another tube in that single socket as the "dropping resistor" just works better.

But back to the lack of fixed bias on the driver tubes. As a side effect, using it on SSB tends to cherry the drivers, since there is NO carrier on that mode.

Until some fixed bias (like what's already wired to pins 2 aqnd 6 on each final socket) is added to the driver tubes, you risk overheating (and popping) driver tubes.

The most popular fix is to unsolder pins 2 and 6 from each of the (three or four) driver-tube sockets. A bypass disc capacitor gets added to ground on each, and a wire is run to join all (3) or 4 sockets on those two pins. A 1k 5 Watt resistor goes to ground, with a rectifier and filter like the one on the final tubes' grid pins. This will put a negative 8 Volts DC more or less onto the driver tubes' control grids, and reduce the heat on those tubes when the drive level is low.

An even easier and cheaper method will accomplish the same thing, but with some loss of overall power. The driver tubes have their own circuit on the high-voltage relay. It is fed from the high-low switch, which feeds either from the "high" B+, around 950 Volts, or from the "low" side, around 475. If the driver's ' B+ input' wire to the driver's circuit of the HV relay gets moved over to the 'low' B+, the high-low switch will only change the final tubes from high to low. The drivers will always be on low. Most of all, they will not draw the high current when drive power is low. Drawback is, they won't drive the finals as hard on "High" side. Simpler, cheaper, not too popular with "wattmeter watchers".

The "PDX" model evolved radically as the FCC tightened the noose around D&A Manufacturing the last year or two. It started out as a straight 10-tube "update" of the Phantom models. Had four tubes driving six, with a band switch so they could pretend it was a ham linear. The FCC tightened the rules against "CB" amplifiers, eliminating the "multi-band" loophole they had been using for years.

Then it morphed into a "15-meter CW transmitter", with a morse-code-key and crystal socket on the front panel. The coils inside were tuned for 21 MHz (NOT 27) and one of the driver tubes got moved towards the center. That one had the crystal socket and morse key hooked to it. It was meant to drive the three driver tubes. With a carrier ONLY, mind you.

Sure. Yeah. We all believed that. In the mail a day or two after the PDX had arrived, were instructions to change it back to a 27 MHz linear, like the buyer had wanted all along. Your "standby" switch went in place of the "Key" jack, and a SSB-delay switch into the hole where the crystal socket had been.

The familiar "Grid Tune" control that was on the rear panel of the Phantom was moved inside, and hooked to the "CW" tube. I've seen plenty of PDX specimens where this circuit was not hooked up. They would run a wire directly from the 'radio' side of the antenna relay to the cathode (input) pins on the three driver tubes. This made the input match around 3 to 1, and limited the power you could get. Copying the input circuit from the Phantom model wasn't all that tricky, and made a big improvement in performance.

The enourmous bulky coils they installed for 21 MHz (and on some of them 14 MHz) would get "jumped" down to the the few turns needed to tune 27 MHz. Performance can often be improved by simply cutting these coils down to size, removing the exess turns. Again, copying what was alread built into the older (pre-bandswitch) Phantom would tend to work pretty well.

Some maniacs would hook up the single "crystal" tube as a "PRE"- driver, but that's a silly idea. Unless your radio only has a half Watt AM carrier, and no more than 3 Watts PEP, this "One driving Three driving Six" setup will be grief. Just too much of a good thing, as they say. Driving the three driver tubes right from the radio-side of the antenna relay is fine for a "normal" CB-type radio with only one final transistor. Bigger "two-final" radios may very well overdrive the three-tube stage.

Seems to me I have a pic here somewhere of a burned, exploded driver-tube plate choke from a PDX. When one of the drivers gets hot enough to break down, that Z-14 choke takes it on the chin, serving as a high-voltage "fuse" for the drivers. Seen it lots of times.

The shenanigans that D&A had to pull, trying to ship the PDX throught the loopholes in FCC regs was a running cat-and-mouse game, until it finally caught up with them. Their tube manufacturing closed down for good, some time around 1980 or so.

Just which "version" of the PDX you have covers a fair bit of ground. And if you see the plates of the driver tubes starting to glow dull red, then orange, you're standing at the edge of the cliff with ten toes over the edge.

Reactions: NZ8N and Slowmover
Thanks Nomad. I have the 15 meter cw version I think, as that is what is on the front label. 1 tube nearer the middle then 3 then 6, with a crystal plug on the front. No hole in the base for a forth driver tube as I have seen in others.

I was planning to run this with my Magnum S9. Do You see any reason why not? Right now, the radio dead keys 1.5 watts and swings to 52. I can turn up the dead key if needed, or adjust the swing with the mic gain. I would assume this amp should not be driven with another amp......correct?

Have not had a chance to play with it yet......but was told I should see 1000 watts or better with this radio. What do you think?

AMPower, Farm Boy, and everyone else, Thanks for the info.

capt205 said:
Thanks Nomad. I have the 15 meter cw version I think, as that is what is on the front label. 1 tube nearer the middle then 3 then 6, with a crystal plug on the front. No hole in the base for a forth driver tube as I have seen in others.

I was planning to run this with my Magnum S9. Do You see any reason why not? Right now, the radio dead keys 1.5 watts and swings to 52. I can turn up the dead key if needed, or adjust the swing with the mic gain. I would assume this amp should not be driven with another amp......correct?

Have not had a chance to play with it yet......but was told I should see 1000 watts or better with this radio. What do you think?

AMPower, Farm Boy, and everyone else, Thanks for the info.

Having owned one (just like your's, with the first tube wired as a broadband driver, and the Z14 choke on the "drivers" toasted, so it was given to me), I can say this.

Expect an honest 600 watts out of it, reliably. Yes, you can get more, but those tubes are only rated at 33 watts of dissipation. That means you can get roughly 3 to 4 times that PEP out of it. Keep the carrier around 20 (up to 30) watts per tube. This is general guidelines for ANY sweep tube amp.

Yeah, you can get more than that out of it.

I also had a D & A Maverick I was given in 1990. It was a pre-73 amp. It still had the original tubes in it (marked D & A). The person that gave it to me ran his amp at 100 watts carrier and 425 to 450 pep output.

To each his own.

--TollHolio

Reactions: NZ8N
Gonna drive it with an S9, eh?

Lordy, talk about ten pounds of copper in a five-pound sack.

In the old days, guys would use a Black Cat JB-12 to pump 30 or 40 Watts PEP into the four driver tubes on those. But it was like nitrous oxide on your daily driver. Goes faster, but watch how long you hold that button down. Blow a hole in a piston, and you're hitching a ride to work monday morning.

Your S9 is bigger than that, still. Has between twice and three times the drive power most early 70's base radios could pump going down a steep hill, shot out of a gun, and with a tailwind all three.

The more drive, the sooner you have let off of the key, pure and simple. That radio won't "pop" it the first or second key, the way a 150 or 200 Watt radio would. More like a deep-fry. So long as you pull it out of the fat before it's burned.

An attenuator to lose half or two-thirds of the radio's drive power is a possibility, but not posted on the web in convenient, ready-to-use form anywhere I know.

Radios keep getting bigger, year by year. That amplifier hasn't gotten any bigger in 30 or 35 years. It's meant to scream with a dinky Teaberry base with no more than 16 Watt peaks, and maybe 3.5 to 4.5 Watts average power.

An S9, huh? Nitrous, pure and simple.

Reactions: NZ8N and Slowmover
nomadradio said:
Gonna drive it with an S9, eh?

Lordy, talk about ten pounds of ****** in a five-pound sack.

In the old days, guys would use a Black Cat JB-12 to pump 30 or 40 Watts PEP into the four driver tubes on those. But it was like nitrous oxide on your daily driver. Goes faster, but watch how long you hold that button down. Blow a hole in a piston, and you're hitching a ride to work monday morning.

Your S9 is bigger than that, still. Has between twice and three times the drive power most early 70's base radios could pump going down a steep hill, shot out of a gun, and with a tailwind all three.

The more drive, the sooner you have let off of the key, pure and simple. That radio won't "pop" it the first or second key, the way a 150 or 200 Watt radio would. More like a deep-fry. So long as you pull it out of the fat before it's burned.

An attenuator to lose half or two-thirds of the radio's drive power is a possibility, but not posted on the web in convenient, ready-to-use form anywhere I know.

Radios keep getting bigger, year by year. That amplifier hasn't gotten any bigger in 30 or 35 years. It's meant to scream with a dinky Teaberry base with no more than 16 Watt peaks, and maybe 3.5 to 4.5 Watts average power.

An S9, huh? Nitrous, pure and simple.

I was thinking something along the lines of a new Cobra Mustang, or Subaru WRX STi.... They both come blown or turbo'ed stock... The aftermarket is now adding "chemical intercooling" with nitrous or methanol or even water!

Gains of hundreds of horsepower are had in the biggest systems..... It cools the intake charge, allowing more boost, the nitrous fizzles off in the chamber, giving an extra O2 atom.... Lots of good stuff.

But, as you said, too much of a good thing.

We didn't use JB-12s, we used Messenger AM30s, or Texas Star modulators (this is when they started, and use the 455 as a final in them).

Woooot.... And the one thing you forgot to mention is: When we where doing that to these 10 and 12 tube beasts, you could afford to go to Thrifty's every two weeks, hit up the tube tester and pick up two or three blown tubes... They only cost 3 or 4 dollars a piece!

--Toll_Free

The S9 thing was just a thought. I have never owned/used one of these tube amps, and figured, here is the place to ask!

I also have a very nice Cobra 2000 on the desk. How about that one with the D&A? I have a Kris Mach 3B, but don't know much about that one either, except that it works.

I also have a Siltronix 1011D that work real nice, but usually use it barefoot.

capt205 said:
The S9 thing was just a thought. I have never owned/used one of these tube amps, and figured, here is the place to ask!

I also have a very nice Cobra 2000 on the desk. How about that one with the D&A? I have a Kris Mach 3B, but don't know much about that one either, except that it works.

I also have a Siltronix 1011D that work real nice, but usually use it barefoot.

The 2000 will work great as an exciter for that amp.

--Toll_Free

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.