• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

D&A PDX-400

Will I have to do anything special to the D&A to be able to use it on SSB?

I had someone on this site explain the "tune up", before use procedure, but was wondering if the amp is good to go on AM and SSB.

I guess I could just give it a go and see what happens.

capt205 said:
Will I have to do anything special to the D&A to be able to use it on SSB?

I had someone on this site explain the "tune up", before use procedure, but was wondering if the amp is good to go on AM and SSB.

I guess I could just give it a go and see what happens.

If it has ssb delay, then you can use it, but keep in mind what Nomad said... It's all true, and the simple mod he posted would ensure your SSB enjoyment would go long time.

Engrish excepted :)

--Toll_Free

Wow, this thread's still going?

The Siltronix 1011 is likewise too big for the D&A box.

Found the pic and moved it to a new host. This is what the driver choke looks like after one set of driver tubes cherries up and blows.

z14pdxeq0.jpg

Used to be the same color orange all over.

This one is strung between the inboard relay and the wire that leads upstairs to the driver tubes' plate caps.

Either using SSB on a linear with the 'stock' wiring on the driver sockets, OR using too much drive gets you this result.

Seen it over and over.

OK....I put it inline with the Cobra 2000. Radio dk is 3 watts, swinging to 15. On high I'm seeing 325 watts, and on low I'm seeing 150 watts.

The amp seems to work fine on SSB with good reports from locals that I talk to on a regular basis

Does this sound OK to those participating in this thread?

Um, much more than any wattmeter's reading, I would be concered that it passes the "Twin Peaks" test.

The final-stage Plate Tune, the right-hand knob of the top pair, has no physical end-of-travel. The Load control on the left will turn only 180 degrees, then CLANG!, it runs into an end-stop. The Tune control on the right has no such mechanicl end stop on it.

Likewise the lower-left Driver Tune knob is this way, too.

BOTH of these knobs should show TWO peaks on the meter in ONE FULL TURN of the knob.

Those two separate peaks may be on opposite sides, 180 apart, or they may be right next to one another.

What matters is that the upper-right Final Plate Tune. AND the lower-left Driver Tune should EACH show TWO peaks in one full turn of the knob.

It's late. I'm gonna skip explaining why this matters. But if you see only ONE peak in that full turn, it isn't really a peak. It's the control reaching the end of its travel, before reaching a peak. Looks like one on the meter, but it isn't, really.

If either knob flunks the Twin Peaks test, you'll next need to know at which extreme the knob that flunked came to rest.

A Tune control with only one peak will be at one of two positions.

1) Plates all the way apart. This is the control's minimum setting.

2) Plates meshed together as close as they will go. This is "Max" capacitance.

Gotta know which it is, to correct the outptut coil on that control.

Any time tubes are changed, there's the risk the Tune control for that set of tubes won't peak like it did with the OLD set of tubes. Running the tubes unintentionally out of tune causes the same stress on the tubes as if you did it on purpose. They last longer if both Plate Tune knobs are "peaked" to a real resonant peak.

Reactions: NZ8N, Sonar and 146
nomadradio said:
Um, much more than any wattmeter's reading, I would be concered that it passes the "Twin Peaks" test.

The final-stage Plate Tune, the right-hand knob of the top pair, has no physical end-of-travel. The Load control on the left will turn only 180 degrees, then CLANG!, it runs into an end-stop. The Tune control on the right has no such mechanicl end stop on it.

BOTH of these knobs should show TWO peaks on the meter in ONE FULL TURN of the knob.

Those two separate peaks may be on opposite sides, 180 apart, or they may be right next to one another.

What matters is that the upper-right Final Plate Tune. AND the lower-left Driver Tune should EACH show TWO peaks in one full turn of the knob.

It's late. I'm gonna skip explaining why this matters. But if you see only ONE peak in that full turn, it isn't really a peak. It's the control reaching the end of its travel, before reaching a peak. Looks like one on the meter, but it isn't, really.

If either knob flunks the Twin Peaks test, you'll next need to know at which extreme the knob that flunked came to rest.

Any time tubes are changed, there's the risk the Tune control for that set of tubes won't peak like it did with the OLD set of tubes. Running the tubes unintentionally out of tune causes the same stress on the tubes as if you did it on purpose. They last longer if both Plate Tune knobs are "peaked" to a real resonant peak.

I, uh....., wow. Someone actually taking the time to show someone how to load their amplifier correctly.

My hats off to you, Nomad..

And yes, he's correct... About damn near ANYTHING D & A. Or anything else using the funky receiver cap's that left the stops in them.

Seriously, though, good post. Should make a FAQ..... Correct tuning and loading of your ancient amp :)

--Toll_Free

Reactions: NZ8N
Nomad is the man, that's for sure. He knows his tube amps! You should see his upgrades for the Pride DX-300!

What Nomad sucks at is WEB DESIGN! :p

We have been beating him up for YEARS to put a FAQ on his website. Almost as bad as he has been beating himself up!

Tried out the instructions reguarding two peaks. There are 2 distinct peaks on the knobs as told. Following this lead.....I tuned up using the higher of the 2 peaks on each dial. This gained me an additional 175 watt to 500 on high.

Please tell me about the twin peaks.
My amp has 1 peak on TUNE and I don't wanna ruin it.

Should I stretch\compress the coil, or cut it to lenth?

Also what is the objective, does the coil need a certain lenth or number of turns, coil size?

Thanks

pheniiwin7097.gif

I have just acquired a pdx 400.The z-14 is fried.I replaced it and all the tubes.The unit will key but have no power output.Does anyone have a schematic for this beast.It has a 6kv6 driving 3 driving 6.There is a choke off the 6kv6 but it dosent tie to anything but a terminal strip with no other wires connected to it.

I am looking to buy one of thees d&a pdx 400 10 tub amps and wanted to know how much it should go for it is in good condition and all 10 tubs check out so would like to know if $700 is to much for it ?

I am looking to buy one of thees d&a pdx 400 10 tub amps and wanted to know how much it should go for it is in good condition and all 10 tubs check out so would like to know if $700 is to much for it ?

That amount of $$ will get you an SB220 which has a pair of 3-500Z transmitting tubes.

I would run not walk away from any sweep tube amplifier. Tubes no longer in production for many years. Expensive to replace if they can be found.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Love seeing an old thread resurrected.

There is a tremendous amount of hate out there for these old sweep tubers. So much so that whenever one pops up on ebay it is often quickly removed. Hams hate them because they are poorly designed, non filtered overdriven splatter boxes designed for low drive radios. In other words, pretty much everything one could want in a CB amplifier.

If one were to obtain an old sweep tuber I would highly recommend having it professionally rebuilt to use a more available and subsequently less expensive tube, as well as a full recap and replacement of old components.

Properly set up, tuned and driven they can and do sound great. The trick is not to run them balls out all the time.

Reactions: 146
I'm reviewing the days of my youth when I ran a D&A Maverick into a D&A Phantom feeding an Avanti PDL on a 80' rotor/tower all at 10 meters. The power was interesting while it lasted. Scatter quickly brought it all to an end. The FCC dropped a letter and it was all removed over a weekend. I always wanted to build a real station but it never happened. Now that I'm retired I'm thinking again.

Thanks for allowing me to read your interesting discussions.

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.