• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Danger Danger!!!! Do Not believe all Youtube TECHS

OP is not talking about Snake in AZ he most be talking about truck stop hack

Snake does good work if the work he did suck then people would not send him 3+ radios or wait 3 to 4 months to get there radio back

Try Google search…

CB Radio Hacker's Guide
no_cover_thumb.gif

Kevin Ross
CRB Research Books, 1992 - Citizens band radio - 156 pages
0 Reviews

no_cover_thumb.gif

tallman, are you saying that you have service info for the 980?

if so, where did you come by it?

I called Uniden directly and they are stingy with any information pertaining to any of their radios. I wish I did have the information though. You would have know a technician that works in the repair center and offer a handsome bribe to get it.

I called Uniden directly and they are stingy with any information pertaining to any of their radios. I wish I did have the information though. You would have know a technician that works in the repair center and offer a handsome bribe to get it.

similar to what i ran into when this chassis first came out.
Uniden said that they were not going to release a schematic or a factory service manual, and that their reason was protection of their design secrets.

yes, that's what they said.
as if there are any state of the art designs in that radio. LOL

people who buy one should know that there is ZERO service information out there for this radio, and anyone who is doing tune ups on them has come up with their own way to do it.
that's not to say that no one should trust a tech that works on these, just be sure that they know what they are doing, because otherwise they are just guessing.

if i ever get my hands on one, i will do my best to come up with an alignment procedure like i did with the TRC-485, and then post it here.

i believe that the real truth of the situation is that Uniden has viewed CB radios as disposable for years now, and does not want to repair any of them.
they want to send someone a new radio as that is cheaper than paying a tech.
I also think that they don't want any techs working on them because people will have to buy another radio when theirs breaks.
LC

Reactions: Steve_Buckeye
I'm not talking about snake specifically but most truck drivers wouldn't know good work if it slapped them in the face. There's a huge group of truck drivers that like to see lots of wattage on a meter and they don't care how many harmonics are involved because that just goes over their head and it's beyond their understanding. there are plenty of radio butchers from coast to coast that have guys lined up out the door waiting to get their radios hacked up because they like how the radios sound up close. unfortunately most of those guys disappear out of my receiver within 5 or 10 miles what the guy in the truck right next to them with a stock Cobra 29 I can still hear that person 30 miles down the road.
OP is not talking about Snake in AZ he most be talking about truck stop hack

Snake does good work if the work he did suck then people would not send him 3+ radios or wait 3 to 4 months to get there radio back

I'm not talking about snake specifically but most truck drivers wouldn't know good work if it slapped them in the face. There's a huge group of truck drivers that like to see lots of wattage on a meter and they don't care how many harmonics are involved because that just goes over their head and it's beyond their understanding. there are plenty of radio butchers from coast to coast that have guys lined up out the door waiting to get their radios hacked up because they like how the radios sound up close. unfortunately most of those guys disappear out of my receiver within 5 or 10 miles what the guy in the truck right next to them with a stock Cobra 29 I can still hear that person 30 miles down the road.
You pretty much called it the way it is.

Now try to convince this fellow driver who posted this earlier today...

http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/dominator-mod.196313/

Heck, the other day with my Uniden 980 cut back to 8 watts pep on SSB, I spoke from mobile
to for almost 50 miles. 35 miles he was just modulation, no signal left, but we were able to still communicate. This was using a sirio performer 5000, Breedlove 3" one hole mount, mounted center of roof on a Ford E350 work van.
And this was with a de-tuned radio LOL!! I agree LC, these radios are made so cheaply as in the cost of selling them, that to pay someone to fix them would be close to or more expensive in the end. At less than $100 supplied to dealers I would think, how can you justify sending s radio back and having it worked on as it will cost you about $40-50 dollars to ship it and have it just looked at. It a shameful truth that Unidnen just won't say, yes that is why we build them like we do. These radios have the bare minimum amount of parts needed to make them work. No more, no less, and without them providing documentation for them, like you said, it's up to the consumer or technician working on one to figure out how to work on them.
Good thing about these radios is they are dead on frequency out of the box and only need minor adjustments to make them a very nice affordable radio!! And the minor adjust meds don't truly have to be made if you aren't rag chewin with the radio, but rather just casually using it. Now if it's going to be an all day every day talker, then yes it definilty needs some work done to keep it from popping the stock final from what I have heard. I turned my SSB power back and don't run AM much, so I can't say how hot radio gets on AM, but on SSB @ 8w pep it gets warm when I have a good ragchew with someone for a few minutes. And when I say warm, not much above ambient temp.
Like I said long ago, if you are looking for a big powerhouse radio don't look here. If you want a clean, clear radio that is on freq out of the box and really doesn't need anything per say to get you on air properly, even on SSB. Just my take on this radio. Had the pleasure to use it the other day and like I said with 8w of power I was able to hold a conversation for 30+ miles no problem. Antenna and conditions played a Big part here, but it just shows that the radio is capable of good distance communication with a good antenna setup. And I live in FL, so it's pretty flat where I was traveling. Used the Uniden Bluetooth mic as well. Great NC mic with no cord!! Just modded the mic hole and drilled it out to about 1/4" and it works well!!
Again, just my experience and take on this little radio. Great CB/SSB starter radio and I don't think it can be beat for the price. No one offers a CB/SSB radio for as cheap as this one. Maybe cobra will step up and come out with a newer 148!? We can dream can't we LOL!!!

And yes fourstringburn, some are like talking to a wall!!
But heck at least the wall don't argue back LOL!!
I told him what it was in the 3rd post I think, and he just won't accept it! Switched power or not, it is a swing mod, or an attempt at an NPC mod of some sort. Like someone said, kind of like the top gun modulator deal. Anyway, he darn should wouldn't want a radio like this one. Not enough power and harmonics being spread about!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.