• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dayton Hara Arena closes - Hamvention will Move

Well not a total surprise by any means...Let's hope they had a plan!...I have enjoyed Dayton Hamfest ...However the venue was SHOT and the interior space was no longer adequate...and the outside Flea market space was a total disaster...
Looking forward to the new location!!!
All the Best
Gary

It was a pit

Not too bad mouth the DARA folks, they did a lot of work over the years, but,... they also received a lot of $$$ too.
Its past the time to move on to another site.

perhaps a little south and over a state line

From DARA themselves:

The Dayton Amateur Radio Association (DARA) regrets to inform our many vendors, visitors and stakeholders that, unfortunately, HARA has announced the closing of their facility. We have begun execution of our contingency plan to move Hamvention® 2017 to a new home.

DARA and Hamvention® have enjoyed many successful years working together with HARA Arena and we wish the Wampler family the best.

DARA and Hamvention® have been working on a contingency plan in the event HARA would become unavailable. We have spent many hours over the last few years evaluating possible locations and have found one in the area we believe will be a great new home! Due to logistics and timing issues, we will make a formal announcement introducing our new partner. This information will be coming soon. We all believe this new venue will be a spectacular place to hold our beloved event. Please rest assured we will have the event on the same weekend and, since it will be in the region, the current accommodations and outside events already planned for Hamvention® 2017 should not be affected.

We look forward to your continued support as we move to a new future with The Dayton Hamvention®.

Ron Cramer
General Chairman
Dayton Hamvention 2017​

Looks like that have been anticipating this day for a while and have preliminary arrangements in place. It also looks like it will remain in the Dayton area. I'm actually considering going once again, just to help warm the new venue.

This was coming for a while.... I have attended 11 times in a row and every year I have enjoyed this more each time. The last few years the rumours have been building and it has finally happened!
The venue was getting tired and not much money went into repairs, ie: in 2011 the sewage line broke and flooded the North side flea market area! Bathrooms were a mess, confusing to navigate the rooms.... including the many inside vendor spots. I still think I missed a room or two The Fire Marshall would delay opening the doors, if it were not for ADA, parking for our group would be a nightmare!
I will miss the Saturday lunch at the Pub, the food was really good! I hope the people who worked so hard will be doing the new location.... And it will have to be big as the HARA Arena was more than 100,000 feet square, not to mention parking!

73 Rod aka mechanic

The Dayton Hamvention is an amateur radio convention (or hamfest), generally considered to be the world's largest hamfest. It is held each May in the Dayton, Ohio area. Starting in 2017, it will be held at the Greene County Fairgrounds in Xenia,Ohio near Dayton. Prior to this it was held each May at the Hara Arena in Trotwood, Ohio. Hara Arena has been the home of Dayton Hamvention since 1964, but the convention has been held since the year 1952. Hara Arena announced its closure in 2016 with the Hamvention being forced to move as a result. The Hamvention offers forums, exhibit space and a flea market and usually claims to have over 20,000 visitors (25,621 in 2015). Many Amateur Radio enthusiasts go out of their way to attend the Hamvention, travelling from all over the United States, Canada, Mexico and various parts of the world and even as far as Australia, Japan and Russia.

According to the American Radio Relay League, the 2016 Hamvention had been the 65th held in Dayton, but was the last held at Hara Arena which planned to close in August 2016. The closure was not unexpected and the Dayton Amateur Radio Association was planning for a new location in the Dayton area for the 2017 Hamvention. The new location has been decided as the Greene County Fairgrounds.

Well they look to have the space...
However only 1 building is Heated and Air Conditioned..
The other large buildings though are cattle and livestock barns though they do have concrete floors...but also have livestock containment pens
I looked at the Satellite view and parking will look to be an issue!!!!
It sets right in the Heart of a big residential area with no direct Interstate access...
We will see...
All the Best
Gary

The Dayton Hamvention is an amateur radio convention (or hamfest), generally considered to be the world's largest hamfest. It is held each May in the Dayton, Ohio area. Starting in 2017, it will be held at the Greene County Fairgrounds in Xenia,Ohio near Dayton. Prior to this it was held each May at the Hara Arena in Trotwood, Ohio. Hara Arena has been the home of Dayton Hamvention since 1964, but the convention has been held since the year 1952. Hara Arena announced its closure in 2016 with the Hamvention being forced to move as a result. The Hamvention offers forums, exhibit space and a flea market and usually claims to have over 20,000 visitors (25,621 in 2015). Many Amateur Radio enthusiasts go out of their way to attend the Hamvention, travelling from all over the United States, Canada, Mexico and various parts of the world and even as far as Australia, Japan and Russia.

According to the American Radio Relay League, the 2016 Hamvention had been the 65th held in Dayton, but was the last held at Hara Arena which planned to close in August 2016. The closure was not unexpected and the Dayton Amateur Radio Association was planning for a new location in the Dayton area for the 2017 Hamvention. The new location has been decided as the Greene County Fairgrounds.

Well they look to have the space...
However only 1 building is Heated and Air Conditioned..
The other large buildings though are cattle and livestock barns though they do have concrete floors...but also have livestock containment pens
I looked at the Satellite view and parking will look to be an issue!!!!
It sets right in the Heart of a big residential area with no direct Interstate access...
We will see...
All the Best
Gary
My only comment would be that it is not the worlds largest hamfest, just the largest hamfest in The United States.
The Hamfest was a success from the standpoint that a lot of good amateur radio equipment manufacturers were located within a 150 mile range of the hamfest during it's initial inception. Companies such as Astatic and Dentron were local companies.
Amateur Radio in the USA for the most part was a local endeavor, with amateur radio stations that later became the first AM radio stations in the country - such as 14KQV and KDKA - were not all that far away.
Even WLW - is only a stones throw away.
Other clubs could have tried to put on an event of this caliber, but it was the DARA that was the first to succeed.
Many of the local - OHIO hams went on to become legends. K3LR, K8CX, etc.

The Hamfest was not in the best location, but was the only location available at that time that was willing to allow it to be on their property.

The Hamfest itself was successful due to the number of club members willing to work to make it happen.

For anyone involved with a club today, we are lucky to have 20 members and maybe 5 stations on the air for Field Days. The exception being large clubs like The Frankford Amateur Radio club, which in itself isn't really a club per se, but is an organization. Several smaller clubs, all related to each other by name, and a group of people that operates as a group, but not all at the same place at the same time.
What they call a contest club.

Had someone been successful in taking away the thunder of The Dayton Hamfest, they could have moved the hamfest somewhere else, like Los Vegas, Atlantic City, New York City, Dallas Texas, or even California.

The problem is that there is not a strong enough group of hams in any of these area's able to pull it off, and it is hard to get a large group of people to all agree to go somewhere else. Amateur Radio is dying, no one is willing to accept it except those that are not licensed amateurs. Although the number of licensed amateurs in the USA has gone up, the quality of ham has gone down. No longer are we able to sell new HF equipment on a grand scale to new hams, because HF has been replaced with personal communications - cell phones, and FM repeaters.
Its hard to sell more than a $1200 HF radio in this market, and everyone has excuses from soup to nuts why they cannot afford a new radio.
In reality, those very same people are willing to pony up $500 every 2 or 3 years for a new cell phone, but are unwilling to spend the same amount once to buy a decent HF radio. Add to that the fact that it is a mans hobby, and most men competes with their wives and girlfriends for the family budget and the woman usually wins out.
How many famous hams today will tell you that their wives - not a HOA - does not allow them to put up an antenna, or use a room in the family home as a radio shack.

Just a lack of BALLS in my opinion.
When the women runs the home, the women gets what they want, and the women makes the rules. Probably the reason why I am still single!

The Hamfest needs to be in a location where there is enough accommodations to support 100,000 people, then it could become economically feasible for people that are poor to attend. With every hotel and motel within 50 miles booked solid the weekend of the Hamfest in Dayton, it has become out of reach for most licensed hams to attend more than one day.

There is probably football stadiums somewhere - like Dallas that could accommodate everyone under one roof, but would not allow automobiles to travel over the surface of the playing field, and most hams or vendors has too much equipment for sale or display to be able to carry it all in and out, and the foot traffic would destroy the playing field surface.
Anyone that has attended a county fair will attest to the problems associated with rain, foot traffic, and vehicular traffic all in one place for more than a couple of days.
Some porta-johns are much nicer then the restrooms at HARA. And at least you could have them in a place where a honey dipper could come and empty them at regular intervals. I don't look for hamfests to continue at this grand of a scale, when clubs do not have the resources to continue, nor the manpower to run them.

Ham fests are a dying bread as well. Most are becoming used computer parts and candle shows. I really sound negative but I remember what they used to be and they are nothing like that anymore. The internet/Ebay has sucked most of the life out of them.

Ham fests are a dying bread as well. Most are becoming used computer parts and candle shows. I really sound negative but I remember what they used to be and they are nothing like that anymore. The internet/Ebay has sucked most of the life out of them.
The last hamfest I attended, there were no computers anymore.
Only one or two guys selling CB radios, most were giving away old cb radio antenna parts - free.
One or two groups that were selling off the estate - minus what they kept for themselves - of a SK ham that belonged to their club, misrepresenting what it was, in the hopes that someone would buy it, take it home, and find out it wasn't a transceiver, or that it didn't work!
DX Engineering was giving away coupons for 20% - good for one week!
The only good vendor was Quick Silver Radio....

It's a shame to see Hara close down.I have spent alot of time in that place through the years and have many fond memories. Not only of radio related events but of hundreds of concerts I went to there. Aloha and farewell Hara..Thanks for all the foggy memories

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.