• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Delta EC-1 Echo Box, have to crank it

tchr01

121 The Professor
Mar 31, 2022
Massachusetts
Any ideas why when I have my talkback on to test my echo I can hear it loud, clear and no problem... but a local contact that I give S5 to cant hear it unless I crank the box all the way up just about? Could I be pinching it off with the mic gain being too high or low? My meter reads consistent output and he can hear me fine otherwise it seems. thanks!

running stock mike
980SSB (LSB)
RM-Italy 203p
Echo box is "Delta EC1"

The only way to know what you sound like for sure, is to listen to your transmit signal. The talk back is just the mic amp.

If you have an extra radio, turn it on and listen to it with headphones and no antenna. Great for setting mic level and for trying out different microphones.

I have a Cobra 148gtl that I use as a dedicated station monitor. I would not run my station without it.

exactly right @Eldorado828 - Delta makes an in-radio echo baord too.. this one is just external.. it has a Delay and Echo knob (plus roger beep button). Im wondering too if the ALC inside the 980 is clipping it off,.... No internal gain afaik

exactly right @Eldorado828 - Delta makes an in-radio echo baord too.. this one is just external.. it has a Delay and Echo knob (plus roger beep button). Im wondering too if the ALC inside the 980 is clipping it off,.... No internal gain afaik
I'm with shadetree on the monitor radio though. I don't know why the limiter would have an affect on the echo. I was referring to a gain control pot on the echo board itself.

I drive lots of highway so get to hear lots of radios both far and close. At times while having a conversations with a distant driver, I've noticed as they get closer that an echo becomes audible but when far I couldn't pick it up. I've noticed that it's been when echo wasn't cranked up to heavily reverberate if that makes sense. Then there's those guys who have so much echo and nothing changes no matter the distance because of how high they have it cranked up.

As shadetree mentioned, try listening through a monitor radio and see what you can hear yourself.

I have not opened one, but the microphone on your 980 may be a condenser mic element. The Delta EC-1 clearly states that it will not work with that. Let us know what you find. My Delta box works fantastic on a Cobra 29 LTD Classic using a Turner Plus Three B microphone. Mic gain on the radio at 12 o'clock, 9 o'clock on the mic and both settings on the box at level 3.

Reactions: G-Golly Wally
You really need a monitor radio to let you hear the truth.

Talkback is only a reference and not accurate to what you're actually transmitting.

Over the air reports could or could not be accurate depending on too many variables.

You really need a monitor radio to let you hear the truth...... oh I had already said that!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated