1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Diathermy, & "don't touch that bare metal object"!

Discussion in 'Announcements & Open Forum' started by LeapFrog, Jan 26, 2018.

1. LeapFrog

LeapFrog Wielding Hanlon's Razor

[​IMG]

Yes, I am mad as a hatter..
    So, what happens if you touch a metal desk while receiving this treatment?
    RF burns? Are you providing a path for the current to travel to, if you touch bare metal?

2. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

Sounds like your body would become a wave guide for the energy transmitter. So your dipoles would line up correctly, like they know which way they are supposed to be to begin with?

Tallman likes this.
  3. LeapFrog

LeapFrog Wielding Hanlon's Razor

Yeah, I keep reading a lot about older medical practices that are now considered quackery.

Tallman likes this.
  4. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

#4 Shadetree Mechanic, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    codeman likes this.
  5. StrangeBrew

StrangeBrew Sr. Member

Makes you wonder what they'll think about what we're doing now in a couple hundred years.:unsure:

LeapFrog and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  6. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

I used to repair and calibrate diathermy machines back when they still had tubes in them.

The patient is supposed to be on a non-metal treatment table out of the reach of nearby metal objects.

Tested them the obvious way. Put your arm between the "treatment plates", the antenna. If your arm gets hot, it's working.

Not so different from standing near a CB antenna with serious wattage on it. Touching a metal object can get you a RF 'sting' without touching the antenna directly.

LeapFrog likes this.
  7. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

When Doctors Literally “Blew Smoke Up Your ....”
    I wonder if it was menthol or regular?
    I tried to explain to an spinster aunt how a microwave ovens worked. She dismissed me as a "Fool with too much time on my hands to dream up B.S. like that." She did it in such a mean, cruel way I became infuriated and left the premises.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.