• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dielectric Grease

if you mean when connecting together and not assembling,, yes i have a few times especialy after i had cleaned silver plated ones,,, i just a thin coat to just lube it some,,,

this works good on about any electrical connection. I have even used vaseline on connectors that are out of the weather when I am out of the other grease. helps to keep the connection seated and working as it should. that is why the factory puts it on spark plug wires to help keep a good connection.

Silicone based dielectric grease should be used on the outer threaded part of the connector only and never on the center pin. As for suitability of it, every Andrew heliax or hardline connector I have seen from 1/2 inch up to 3 inch fittings comes with a small tube of it to use. It's what the big boys use on their big toys. LOL

Reactions: Bundy and 222DBFL
Silicone based dielectric grease should be used on the outer threaded part of the connector only and never on the center pin.

I'd be interested to hear your explanation as to why silicon dielectric should not be used on the center pin. I've always used a light coating on the pin. My reasoning was that the force fit of the connector would push the grease out of the metal-to-metal contact areas, but would allow it to fill in the "voids" so to speak, and prevent water from entering the connector causing corrosion. I've measured the resistance of connectors with and without grease and never saw an increase in resistance when using it.

However ... your reason for not using it may outweigh my reasoning and I'd like to hear it. Thanx and 73s.

Reactions: RatsoW8
What should be used as cleaner prior to applying the grease?

I use REAL LEMON concentrate to do the initial wipedown. Excellent at removing solder flux traces and the like. Then I wipe it down with a solvent called "Prep-Solv". Its used to remove wax, grease, fingerprints, etc., as the final wipedown before painting a car. Leaves a spotless clean surface, and no residue. I can't buy that brand here, and have been using "Max-solv" instead. Same stuff, different name.

solvent.png

I'd be interested to hear your explanation as to why silicon dielectric should not be used on the center pin. I've always used a light coating on the pin. My reasoning was that the force fit of the connector would push the grease out of the metal-to-metal contact areas, but would allow it to fill in the "voids" so to speak, and prevent water from entering the connector causing corrosion. I've measured the resistance of connectors with and without grease and never saw an increase in resistance when using it.

However ... your reason for not using it may outweigh my reasoning and I'd like to hear it. Thanx and 73s.

My experience has been with high power where you do not want ANYTHING to compromise the surface to surface contact of the fittings. A tiny imperfection can be catastrophic with several kilowatts flowing in the system. Also Andrew Corporation explicitly notes NOT to get any on the center pin of their connectors during assembly so they know more than I do. LOL

Thanks guys, those were the answers I was looking for. I have a 3' RG8 jumper that was a little dull on the pin, so used a Scotchbrite pad to clean it up, and wanted to use lubricant. 3's an thanks again.

When I was certified by Andrew back in the day, for making coax jumpers for cell sites, the Andrew rep suggested to use very very little of the grease that is provided with the Andrew connectors as all its for is to make sure the rubber grommet that is the compression part of the fitting is placed on the grommet or rubber grommet that is the stop and compression piece for the rear part of the fitting. And he also noted NOT TO GET IT ON THE CENTER PIN!! To be honest I made connectors daily for years, yes Andrew connectors. Have boxes of left over Din Male and such connectors. We used to throw the little silicone packs away as they caused more trouble then they helped as like said if gotten on the center pin, it will ruin a sweep and also a PIM test. It will cause issues for sure! Like I said, I've made thousands of connector ends. And that is the truth. From Andrew to Eupen, RFS, and a few others. Have certifications for all of them as to how to properly install them on coax from 1/2" to 1 5/8" hardline coax. Anyways, point is be careful as to how you use dielectric grease. JMHO.
Also here is a pic of the small pack of grease that Andrew sends with their coax. Also note in the photo below that they actually show you to place the grease directly to the rubber grommet and not to your fingers. This is to keep from spreading it.
Not sure if all of this helps, but hopefully some of it will. Also a total installation instruction manual for a Din Male connector if it's readable. Also the connector shown first is made for 1/2" super-flex or FSJ4-50B coax. Again, hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,005.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg