• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Difference in ARRL Study Guides

Shasta69

Jan 18, 2011
NW @ 49th Parallel
Good Morning,
Was able to score a ARRL Study General guide for the exam which changed last year.

Am wondering if I am wasting my time studying for the General with this study guide or I should just buy the new guide.

Are the tests very different from each other?

Thanks in advance.

73's

They have a pool of questions they use for their tests.....you can download them on qrz.com

The questions asked may vary from test to test but the theory behind the answers will never change.

I am a VE and I always ask the VE team I am on why we do not let people know what questions they get wrong.

I finally talked my team into letting the testers know what questions they got wrong.

Then the debate began on the VERY FIRST TEST we let the people know what questions were wrong. The person testing decided that the answer key was wrong on some of the answers he got wrong. Started explaining his "interpretation" of theory and would not let it go, he insisted he was correct. He only missed two questions and still passed but wanted the other ones marked correct for a perfect score.

We told him we did not create the test, we go by the answers and that is that. When trying to get him to sign the paperwork to get his license, he refused. He would sign them after we made his score 100%

Unfortunately, it got to the point where we had to call the police to the public library where we administered the test. He was then trying to bully the police to force us to change the score, which we did not do. The guy started yelling as loud as he could at that point and one of the police officers asked him to calm down. Then the guy shoved the cop. We didn't have to do anything more after that. But the guy knew the instant he shoved the cop he messed up, you could see it on his face, as the other cops tackled him. :eek:

So theory may not change, but interpretation does.

Reactions: 2 people
I am a VE and I always ask the VE team I am on why we do not let people know what questions they get wrong.

I finally talked my team into letting the testers know what questions they got wrong.

Then the debate began on the VERY FIRST TEST we let the people know what questions were wrong. The person testing decided that the answer key was wrong on some of the answers he got wrong. Started explaining his "interpretation" of theory and would not let it go, he insisted he was correct. He only missed two questions and still passed but wanted the other ones marked correct for a perfect score.

We told him we did not create the test, we go by the answers and that is that. When trying to get him to sign the paperwork to get his license, he refused. He would sign them after we made his score 100%

Unfortunately, it got to the point where we had to call the police to the public library where we administered the test. He was then trying to bully the police to force us to change the score, which we did not do. The guy started yelling as loud as he could at that point and one of the police officers asked him to calm down. Then the guy shoved the cop. We didn't have to do anything more after that. But the guy knew the instant he shoved the cop he messed up, you could see it on his face, as the other cops tackled him. :eek:

Sounds like the guy was an ego maniac....couldn't accept that he was wrong.....prolly be a good idea to give people their test results by phone. :)

Talk about that person having issues (ie. psycho).

Thanks for all the responses. Will just use the manual I have and look at the updates on QRZ.com.

73's

You can interpret something any way you want to however that does not make it correct. I think the guy you mentioned was an egomaniac and just wanted bragging rights so he could say he scored 100%. I am not an egomaniac but I can say that I did indeed score 100% on my exam way back in the day. No cops were required either. :laugh:

I am a VE and I always ask the VE team I am on why we do not let people know what questions they get wrong...

VE manual 9 th edition (ARRL VE)

"...the test may not be returned to the candidate for any reason, including for review or to find out which questions the candidate answered right or wrong. "

page 52

""
IMPORTANT: No candidate may review the test booklet or answer sheet after it has been turned in, nor may the VE team give advice to the candidate as to which topic(s) to study for a better (passing) grade. "

page 55
When May VEs Refuse Service to an Applicant?​
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
VEs may not refuse service to anyone who is seeking an amateur license or upgrade, with the following exceptions:
• The applicant does not provide adequate identification document(s) to the VE Team;
The applicant is disruptive during the examination;

page 49

I would have asked him ONE time if he wanted the CSCE or not,...END of discussion;)
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Never returned the test or booklet, we just told him the question and his wrong answer.

We offered the take it or leave it option, his response to kick all our asses prompted the call to the police LOL

We never to this day refused him, he just got arrested instead

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.