• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dipole directionality

You could also make another one and put it over the other one facing the other direction. With the use of a switch box would allow switching between them.
This will most likely be what I do later... itd be interesting to have two identical dipoles mounted in opposite directions just to see if there is any change. Eventually id like to go the route Robb mentiomed and put up a vertical. Id like to have the ability to talk locally at some point. Thatd be great.
agreed,....... I think a lot of his "directivity is really his "skip zone".

I can get in the mobile and make contacts outside of New England with my wilson antenna.. it just takes more effort.

You get ready to make a vertical the easiest thing to do is cut away the braid and outer coating from the end of a coax line for about 9 feet leaving only the inner wire in its coating. Measure another 9 feet from the point you cut away the cover and braid and wrap the coax around a 4 inch pvc coupler 5 times. Secure it with tape or wire ties.
Hang this in the tree by the end which is folded over at 6 inches back from the end. Talk on it. This is for 11 meters.

Alright, so after having my dipole up for almost 2 months now, I can say that it is not entirely directional. I have certainly logged more contacts from the Northeastern part of America than anywhere else, but I am making more and more contacts from around the rest of the continent, the EU as well. It just took time, but now mother nature is really working for me. It's incredible how such a simple antenna can kick so much ass when the conditions are there

This was a great thread with good resources, anyone with a dipole should read through it if they haven't.

Info an knowledge on this site is amazing I joined over a year ago an have learned a lot from the members after being into 11 meters for over 45 yrs you can teach an old dog new tricks !

Reactions: wavrider
In easy language, A horizontal dipole is radiating it's strongest broadside on each side and a vertical dipole is omni-directional. There are other variants like a inverted Vee or an inverted L.

If possible, string the antenna between 2 trees north to south so the antenna broadside is east to west and you will cover the country well and work most of the world too.

A good option for you is consider using a rotatable dipole so you can direct your signal where you want it at will. You can build one yourself with two 102 inch whips. (I'm assuming you want 10 meters and CB so the 102 in. whips is a good compromise for both) Just make a bracket or use a ready made MFJ-347 dipole bracket and make sure one whip is insulated from ground and the other is not. An inexpensive TV antenna rotor on a inch and a quarter pipe for a mast will work fine for light weight antenna like these. This all shouldn't cost much more than $200.00

You should use a balun since a dipole is a balanced antenna and most likely be fed with 50 ohm feed line which is a unbalanced feedline if you want a good match at the antenna feedpoint ( hence the term "bal-un", balancing a unbalanced feed line to a balanced antenna). There are many threads ins this forum you can research showing you how to make your own simple balun if you might be interested in going this route.

Just something to consider...

Last edited:
Reactions: 357magnum

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.