1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Directional 11 meter for SSB to europe

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by mb91w126, Jul 29, 2014.

1. mb91w126

mb91w126 Active Member

any suggestions for a directional pointed at London??
    Sitting in a EW valley in Northern NJ. I have a pretty clear view east but south is a wall and north isn't remarkably better.

Thanks!

2. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Any directional antenna would work but remember propagation is going to control everything.

Marconi likes this.
  3. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

I have been thinking about using a wire I could use a little help with my east/west you can make one or purchase one they are between $8.95 an $34.95 on Ebay if you only want North to South this should work fine .(y)

4. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Elmer

Are you handy at rolling your own antennas? How much you willing to spend?

5. dx31353

dx31353 Active Member

I roll my own...

...cigarettes. :D

Blackcat630 and jazzsinger like this.
  6. Rick330man

Rick330man WDX 404

Co-phase to achieve 3DB gain East-West

(1) Take 2 antennas. 102" whips would be the easiest.

(2) Place them so that: (a) one is 180 degrees opposite of the other - one being north and the other being south; and (b) they are 108" apart.

(3) Run equal lengths of RG59 - one from each antenna - to a "T" plug or utilize a co-phasing harness. If doing the former, run standard 50 ohm coax from your radio to "T" connector.

This simple co-phased array will give you 3db gain to the east and west. You'll have significantly less gain to the north and south, but that sounds like a limitation you were accepting anyways.

Good luck.

Slowmover likes this.
  7. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

Build a Moxon Rectangle. 10dBi gain over average ground. Far easier than all that co-phasing bollocks.

Grogan, jazzsinger and Uncle Charlie like this.
  8. GnG8d

GnG8d Well-Known Member

A dipole would be simple to construct with stuff you probably have laying around, or for an additional 3dB or so, the Moxon is a neat little antenna that takes slightly more effort to build.

9. wavrider

wavrider W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Delta loop , quieter on receive and works great.

10. dxbarefoot

dxbarefoot W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

A horizontal dipole with the ends pointing NE & SW will give you a main lobe in an eastern direction.

I generally don't bring the ends any closer than 90 degrees. Think of how a catchers mit is aimed when catching the ball...

11. GnG8d

GnG8d Well-Known Member

If he's wanting into Europe, he'd want to stretch a dipole NW-SE. I'm not sure what you mean about the catchers mitt.

12. GnG8d

GnG8d Well-Known Member

Delta loop

13. Klondike Mike

Klondike Mike Sr. Member

When conditions are "in" my location (w. Canada), I point my IMAX 2000 (@12ft.) and get multiple contacts into the UK.

14. dxbarefoot

dxbarefoot W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Thanks 359, a simgle typo will get you every time...Meant to say point the ends NE / SE (not SW) hence the catchers mit - figurtively speaking.

15. GnG8d

GnG8d Well-Known Member

I guess I'm still not following. If I point my antenna due east from Ohio, I'm pointing at S. Africa. If I want Europe, I point ~45* to the NE ....... is that what you mean?

Are you laying an inverted "V" over on it's side and pointing that due east?