• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Donkey Stomper

I take it that’s an early BBI amp?

I don’t have much interest in any of these amps beyond just letting YouTube roll, but it always seemed to me that Gatekeeper’s looked pretty nice inside. Have no idea if things are done right or not, but he seems to put some effort into bias also.

That was an amp that someone sent to him (maybe 10 years ago) and those were improvements he made. I think his username was Rubicon on the MD forum.

He gave up on the little fans and the next big thing were the mirror boards across the pills to prevent the transformers from "talking". Amps on printed boards can benefit from this but when the emitters are soldered to a copper board there's enough surface area to carry the current. It's was just bbi philosophy.

Gate Keeper has some pretty amps, that's for sure. He has done a lot of work with the HG when they first came out. I bought my Stryker 440 from him too.

His work space and videos are a bit sketchy, but his product sure looks good. If I wanted a product like this, I’d probably buy a biased amp from him over the others. Don’t often see him mentioned here...glad to hear your report.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
That was an amp that someone sent to him (maybe 10 years ago) and those were improvements he made. I think his username was Rubicon on the MD forum.

He gave up on the little fans and the next big thing were the mirror boards across the pills to prevent the transformers from "talking". Amps on printed boards can benefit from this but when the emitters are soldered to a copper board there's enough surface area to carry the current. It's was just bbi philosophy.
Lmao, I remember his little fan thing. At the time he was quite proud.

His work space and videos are a bit sketchy, but his product sure looks good. If I wanted a product like this, I’d probably buy a biased amp from him over the others. Don’t often see him mentioned here...glad to hear your report.
Ask him to build you one with thermal tracking bias

Reactions: Crusher
No amp builder can last a year if their amps don't work. The word gets around. Even if you are a good builder you will take crap on every forum from Know It Alls. I can't think of a single amp builder who has avoided criticism. Know It Alls are by definition Unpleasable. That is why my marriage only lasted 12 years. Or perhaps it was the fact I went to too many Strip Clubs.

Last edited:
I really don't like all those 2879's lined up in a row on the heat sink.
Boo built a big amp for one of the members here a long time ago and he mounted the transistors pairs on the sink in a V pattern spread out on a very large heat sink.
He did it to help spread the heat across the sink to help it run cooler he said.
I believe it was a great idea.
Wish I had saved a picture of that build.
I think on that amp he even shielded each stage of the pairs that he combined.
Might have been for One Eyed Jack.
That guy. (Boo) could build some very nice, well thought out biased amps.
Don't see anything like that anymore.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.