• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

donkeystomper amps

I'm surprised it's described as AB1.
I don't like the gauge of the wires used in the amps build, but then again I don't claim to know much about the inside workings and what gauge wire should be used in an amp build. 4kw+! Wow that lodts of wattage! I'm not one who needs that type of wattage. If conditions are decent and I hear them I work them. And that's with 500 watts and an IMAX 2000 8' off the ground.
He'll certainly get out locally. All he'll need is the other local 150 miles away to also be pushing 4kw's. Over kill imo. But to each his own. I'm going to assume he wants to work the super duper bowl. Lol. I still wish him lots of luck. I hope someone gates him. I'd love to hear the way he sounds. Better yet I hope I get to contact him (once I'm back on the air.) 73

Looks like class C. It is listed as AB1 but I believe that only applies to tubes.

s-l400.jpg

Reactions: Unit 75
Looks like class C. It is listed as AB1 but I believe that only applies to tubes

Hey, Shade. Your correct. That 16 pill is biased class C. He has the base of the transistors tied to ground thru resistors. That photo you have isn't angled correctly to see but this one is. P.S. Most of us know better about seeing the "AB1" stuff on transistor amps Ha Ha Ha.
DonkeyStomper.jpg

I guess you could buy it and run it until it blows up then return it saying the item wasn't as advertised....lol being a class C and not AB. All sellers are responsible for their listings right??

Hey, Shade. Your correct. That 16 pill is biased class C. He has the base of the transistors tied to ground thru resistors. That photo you have isn't angled correctly to see but this one is. P.S. Most of us know better about seeing the "AB1" stuff on transistor amps Ha Ha Ha.View attachment 32648 .
The transistors appear to be mounted on the copper board. Isn't that fiberglass? How would that be effective? Must be solid copper. Maybe.

Yes, That is all copper. It's new. It has the strips on the transistors base so the resistors can go from there to the ground to keep the conduction angle correct, seeing class C generally needs negative bias of some kind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.