• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

driving a sb220

Of course, there's the old standby method. Read the plate voltage, read grid current, know the approximate output of the driver, and the average efficiency of the amplifier (hint: 60-65%), do the math and know what the thing it putting out.
If that output isn't up to your standards you have two choices, three actually.
1. Adjust your conceptions of 'standard' to what actually is. (doesn't hurt at all)
2. Adjust amplifier to some silly amount. (can hurt your wallet terribly)
3. Adjust quoted meter readings to what ever suits you and lie like hell. (if they say it doesn't sound like that much, just tell them you're in a RF 'dead' spot)

Typical anticipated results seldom match actual results. Which does not necessarily mean something is not "up to par", except maybe your expectations. Quality education usually solves that problem. Experience isn't exactly 'quality' education unless it is able to be reproduced reliably and the reasons for those results explained in a logical manner. Unfortunately, that requires some of that 'quality' education to provide the logic. Obtaining that 'quality' education on the internet is just not a very good idea, too many 'illogical' teachers. It is certainly possible in a few instances, but certainly not reliably.
'Polls' are the most unreliable method of finding out anything. All polls contain 'PC' and 'NN2K' entries. ('PC' = P'ing contestants, 'NN2K' - No Need to Know poster) Unless you can account for those, you're out'a luck.
Does all that sound 'Un-democratic'? So what, we don't live in a democracy.
- 'Doc

lords said:
been there looked a while ago and even blew the dust off that old site......I do like there stuff but theres better...
first the stock unit can handle and input of max 250 watts...from a
old heath tech
I know what your saying but a long time ago is a long time ago
what I see and do has nothing to do with what your showing
so on that note I will standby now :p
I stated what I output and have no problem with what your past says...Number15 wanted to know stuff I posted...and now he knows it modded as for the transformer it has been updated along with other stuff
also all SB220's didn't have the same transformers theres been like 3 updates back then....

i got a picture or 2 of a modified 5tuber heathkit with external peter dahyl transfomer
with 3-500zg

some one pm me with the email i can send it that way

my driver for my 5tuber deadkeys 500 watts bird modulates 1500
talk all day and all night

QRN said:
King Mudduck said:
I'm with everyone else. That seems like a hell of a lot of drive to me for an SB-220!

Remember this is CB we are talking about. Something magical and mystical happens to amplifiers when they are operated on 27 MHz.The drive requirements go way up and the power available from the tubes goes waaaay up while distortion and IMD goes down. :roll:

Your right and that is one of the main reasons i'm going ham. I'm sure there may be BS with ham as well but i don't think it will be anywhere near the damn bullshat i have to put of with every time i turn the base on! I don't care what kind of transformer you run. It wont save any kind of tube that was not meant for that much drive.

If you want to blow your amp up then by all means go right ahead, it's your money! It's no wonder all of the old high quality amps/radios are getting so hard to find un molested!

Actually I find that for the most part CB'ers want to push an amp to the limit and beyond in the quest for watts while for the most part hams are content to run amps according to what the manufacturer specs are.Sure any ham amp can be pushed for more watts but why not run clean and have the tubes last for a decade or two instead of gaining an extra 1 or 2 Db which will not be noticed except for the neighbors TVI problem anyway.

Reactions: TheRealPorkchop
What is all boils down to, sort of, is knowledge, or the lack of it. That lack isn't as noticeable now as it used to be at one time, unfortunately.
If you don't at least have an idea of what's reasonable, how do you tell when something isn't reasonable? If you can find someone who does have that required knowledge you can at least take their word for something. The 'trick' is finding that knowledgeable person, not just someone who ~thinks~ they are knowledgeable (or who can B.S. you into thinking they are).
There are limits to everything. Knowing what those limits are saves gobs of time, trouble, and money (not to mention reputations - lol).
Can you build a 15 tube 3-500 amplifier? Of course you can. But that has got to be the dumbest idea I've heard of in a while! [Sort of like being proud of producing the largest fart know to man. Yeah, right, good for you, just stay far down wind from me, please!]
- 'Doc

Reactions: oldtymer
musicman said:
QRN, I notice that magical and mystical thing as well.

On the other hand, it could be a CB radio operator that clearly has no clue how to use an amplifier.

Bit of a low blow there ,I would say , but I've been picking up on the "my way or the highway" attitude lately .......Hmmmmm

OH and before I forget ........(Your right and that is one of the main reasons i'm going ham.) IM sure the cb world will miss you dearly KMD .......NOT. This is just stereotyping non-sence towards cb'ers and that "they" don't know how to tune a amp along with anything else negative others can come up with ..... and that's out and out BS !! It's these kinds of attitudes that have always made it easiest for me to not be a Ham !!

Well I certainly wouldn't put name calling past you , I figured that was next after your first 5 posts here .......Hmmmm ....funny how you guys can glow with the attitude before you even spew it out. There all all kinds of ways weather there right or wrong according to you , others like what they like weather you like it or not , by all means stick to the facts but there's no need for name calling or as I put it , "your way or the highway" people are willing to learn what you have to offer but I personally ain't one to take it jammed down my throat ither. There's alot of nice people around here that do what they do and seldom ask for a tongue whipping from the likes of you , you got a better way ? Well state it then , without name calling and putting others down for what they do .

W5LZ said:
...and while you're looking for a different driver, you might also invest in a couple of new tubes.
- 'Doc

I'm with you... SB220 won't take that kind of hammering, let alone the tubes... Whew someones blowing smoke alright. Ain't the kind I'd want. Afterall, to go to the next S-Unit (6 DB Gain) you'd have to go from 1500 watts (Max for SB-220) too 6,000 watts ...

So all that damaging hammering is useless and a waste of time, if you can't keep the energy on your frequency and are splattering it across the spectrum, why there's another waste of energy, time, and needless abuse on the equipment.

I'll run mine within' specs, get the same signal report, and get a much better audio report too boot...

Can't change the laws of physics no matter what kind of smoke your blowin'...

I couldn't agree with you more HM , but you know how it is with guys , they ain't happy and content unless there blow'in it out there asses (figuritively speaking of course).........leave it not to me to rain on there parades (good chance they might on mine but I'll try not to let it bother me ,usually don't do me much good anyway) , it's there money and there equipment , and a lot of those guys are pretty nice people all the same. I may not be perfect when it comes to all of this , but it's surely a breath of fresh air to know that I don't need to run the snot out of anything .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.