• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

driving a sb220

I haven't touched it since last winter. It is a labour of love project with an indefinite time limit.

Here is the plate xmfr with the four diode packs rated at 22 THOUSAND volts and 30 AMPS each. Below them are non-PCB oil caps for 55 microfarad of filtering.

View attachment 26753

Filter caps, main power, filament control and plate control relays. The yellow device on the left is a solidstate time delay relay for the high voltage. Far right is a 30 amp Corcom AC line filter. Just visable in the back is the plate variac. Not seen is the filament variac.

View attachment 26754

The business end of things with the filament xmfr seen in the upper right not wired at this point. It is now however.

View attachment 26755

48 inch high Hammond cabinet with full metering. Variac controls are at the bottom.

View attachment 26756

Close up of meter panel.

View attachment 26757

Older pic of the vac variables to be used in it. I have a different roller inductor to use. No bandswitch to burn up in this. Vac variables are 1000 uF at 7500 volts (maybe 10KV I forget).

View attachment 26758

What made you go with a roller instead of a tapped coil? Also curious what gauge the new coil is and what Q your shooting for.

I haven't touched it since last winter. It is a labour of love project with an indefinite time limit.

Here is the plate xmfr with the four diode packs rated at 22 THOUSAND volts and 30 AMPS each. Below them are non-PCB oil caps for 55 microfarad of filtering.

View attachment 26753

Filter caps, main power, filament control and plate control relays. The yellow device on the left is a solidstate time delay relay for the high voltage. Far right is a 30 amp Corcom AC line filter. Just visable in the back is the plate variac. Not seen is the filament variac.

View attachment 26754

The business end of things with the filament xmfr seen in the upper right not wired at this point. It is now however.

View attachment 26755

48 inch high Hammond cabinet with full metering. Variac controls are at the bottom.

View attachment 26756

Close up of meter panel.

View attachment 26757

Older pic of the vac variables to be used in it. I have a different roller inductor to use. No bandswitch to burn up in this. Vac variables are 1000 uF at 7500 volts (maybe 10KV I forget).

View attachment 26758

IGOR throw the switch!
th

Last edited:
What made you go with a roller instead of a tapped coil? Also curious what gauge the new coil is and what Q your shooting for.

No bandswitch to burn up basically and better selection of the optimum L to C ratio instead of selecting the best tap for the entire band. Not sure the gauge, it is edge wound ribbon and came from an old broadcast TX or possibly a military TX. It is good for several Kw in any event. Ultimate Q has yet to be determined.

Roller inductors are nice but do not overlook the need to keep them clean and dust free. Neglect this long enough and sooner or later the contact will line up with a dirty spot on the coil and arc trough. Pitting the silver on the coil and contact. Inductors with double, sliding contacts are the best for this application because they tend to clean the surface as they slide. The pair of contacts also reduces the possibility that a bad connection will form at both contacts simultaneously. Avoid the temptation to find the tuning "sweet spot" while keyed. Changing the setting under load is an invitation for this type of problem.

No bandswitch to burn up basically and better selection of the optimum L to C ratio instead of selecting the best tap for the entire band. Not sure the gauge, it is edge wound ribbon and came from an old broadcast TX or possibly a military TX. It is good for several Kw in any event. Ultimate Q has yet to be determined.

Roger that. I was looking at the long roller next to the ruler and trying to guesstimate what gauge it was. Going by Richard Measures' math Q x plate current = circulating current it looked kind of light duty for a 3cx3000.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Roger that. I was looking at the long roller next to the ruler and trying to guesstimate what gauge it was. Going by Richard Measures' math Q x plate current = circulating current it looked kind of light duty for a 3cx3000.

That's not the roller inductor I plan to use. That inductor in the picture is actually edge wound silver plated ribbon 3/8 inch wide and is not a roller type. It was used in an AM transmitter site ATU system and it will handle several Kw in SSB service. As for the 3CX3000A7 output.........this amp is not for 11m so balls to the wall is not planned. :LOL: My legal limit here is 2250 watts pep on SSB or a 750 watt carrier on AM or 3 Kw pep on AM. Not really interested in much more than that. Just looking for a very rugged amp that will take a beating especially on AM. I had all the parts scrounged from my broadcast days except a filament transformer which was given to me by a fellow broadcast tech still in the business.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
well i drive mine with a brute force 350
so the saturn 2 swinging 50 into the brute force 350 keying 150 swinging 350 into the SB220 which keys 300-500 swinging 3000

and redone for 220volts again the 110 was blowing a AC breaker at 20amps

don't max it over 400 into the sb220 and you will be fine
and min is about 125 to get some good output :)

thats just my opinion of everyday use which works great
Interesting. I can get 3kw out of mine using 100 watts less drive than you. Before I get jumped on, I rebuilt the 220 using all the new upgrades and the 3 500zg tubes. But to swing 400 in? Just plain stupidity and needless if modded correctly.

Actually I find that for the most part CB'ers want to push an amp to the limit and beyond in the quest for watts while for the most part hams are content to run amps according to what the manufacturer specs are.Sure any ham amp can be pushed for more watts but why not run clean and have the tubes last for a decade or two instead of gaining an extra 1 or 2 Db which will not be noticed except for the neighbors TVI problem anyway.

Well, my shack has an amp capable of 6kw, but I slow cruise it at 3.8. No need for more if my system is perfect and I own skipland.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.