• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX'er - the application you may need :)

DX'er

Oct 19, 2012
Cologne
code.google.com
Hey dear radio amateurs!

I hope I can post this topic here. To begin I just want to say that I am NOT an amateur operator and I just registered here to present/show you what I have done due to my father's request in order to improve my application and in order to show my application to all the other radio amateur operators. I am studying Geophysics and Meteorology here in Cologne and in my free time I am building applications for me and for others (until now all freeware!). I am interested in aviation and due to this I like Flight Simulator for which I did also do several improvements.

To start the introduction of my application I first want to thank my father for giving me the idea and the necessary help in order to create DX'er (the name of the application I am presenting you). With this application I really want to thank him for everything he did, he does and he will do for me. Thank you daddy! :) In addition I want to thank WorldWideDX.com for giving me the possibility to present this application here (also if I am not a radio operator).

So after this introduction, let's come to what you are interested, the application itself.

DX'er is an application which helps you (until now, maybe a lot of more things in the future) to get contacts in every country of the world/region of the world. It is a simple application with which you can see if there is a country online which you do not have. In order that the application shows you this, you need to take a few minutes to prepare everything correctly in order that the application knows which country you have and which one you are aching for. The application is a simple .exe-file which you need to execute. The application will then load the previously created file with all the countries you already have. After checking the countries which have currently been reported to DXSummit.fi it will show you all the countries you do not have in a simple list. If you altered the settings the application will also show or hide the frequency on which the new country has been heard, the date, the time and it will play, depending on your settings, a sound if there is a new country "online".
This application was/is/will be freeware, but if you want you can donate a few bucks. The application will also not always stay in V 1.0.0.0, because I want to enhance and optimize it and maybe add new features requested by users. For this I need your help. Report issues, problems and anything what you want.

The application does not need any installation because it is a simple .exe-file. The only system requirements this application has are:
- an active internet connection
- .Net Framework 4
- optionally a working sound card (if you want that the sound will be played)
- enough time to configure DX’er correctly

In the downloaded archive is a ReadMe.pdf included which contains a step-by-step guide on how to "install" the application properly. So I hope you now want to give it a try and that you help me to make it better. If you choose to help me please go here and get DX'er.

I hope you like it as much as I do and I hope you tell me your wishes!
If you have any problems or so, please ask me and I will help!

regards
Kevin
creator of DX'er

P.S.: I hope I did not make any mistake/problem with this post, if so please tell me as I am completely new here and as I could not find any regulations regarding this subforum.

No offence intended.....we have had folks come through here before informing us of items such as yours......since we do not know you,why would we want to download anything from anyone we do not know here...most of us wouldnt download anything from regular members here muchless from someone we do not know......

Oh first of all a big thank you for answering. This is what I was acheing for. Someone who gives me an input.. A big thank you.

Well I know that people are quite aware of the fact of viruses/malware/... however I can assure that my applications are free of all that shit. A proof? Sure here the virus total test:

Here VirusTotal.com Test The one which says it is a virus is a truefalse error. Don't know why this appears..
Nothing changed! Check the SHA1 Codes. Both the same

I just wanted since I love to do applications, to get behind what the computer understands and to create simply but useful applications to let everyone know that it is available. I want to enhance DX'er to a higher level but for this I need input and what you guys (those who maybe need this application) thinks.

I can only offer you this application. Sad that so much people are that negative against. I hope I can read once an input from you!

cheers guys
Kevin

Why don't you find some testers/amateur radio ops, etc.... who live near you in your country?? Seems odd that you would post to a forum in the US and then be dissappointed when we don't respond favorably. Can you understand why we are not too excited to download your .exe file?

Reactions: 1 person
Why don't you find some testers/amateur radio ops, etc.... who live near you in your country?? Seems odd that you would post to a forum in the US and then be dissappointed when we don't respond favorably.

mhh well good question though. My faster introduced the application in our amateur radio club but no one seemed to be interested. Only one said that he wanted to test it, but afterwards he did never respond again, so it was more hot air than anything else. I have no clue why they are not interested. If I would know this I could try to change it.

Can you understand why we are not too excited to download your .exe file?

Yes for sure I fully understand you. I would be also that negative if a newbie would come and say: "Hey download my .exe this is an application for you." I would have too doubts and I would too wait until others would say, go for it. This is what I am trying here to get. Some people who tested it out and who tell the others to use it. I know it is a large step for you to make but I hope that some day somebody does it and that then all the others (hopefully) follow. I would be more than happy to make DX'er better to your gust. I love to make people happy and well due to this I am eagerly awaiting that someone "helps" me to break the wall :)

@HomerBB
Thanks. I hope you like it. If not tell me what I should change! Really appreciating!

DX'er
I am not an Amateur.
I was willing to download it on my computer and extract everything and have my antivirus scan it. It is now left up to someone to actually try it out given the concerns regarding a .exe virus is removed.

No offence intended.....we have had folks come through here before informing us of items such as yours......since we do not know you,why would we want to download anything from anyone we do not know here...most of us wouldnt download anything from regular members here muchless from someone we do not know......
Sandbox is the way to test it :)
Mike

Reactions: 1 person
Hey guys just a heads up: The coming days I will add a few more Wiki articles to make the application a bit clearer.

I hope people like it :)

If you have anything to say, please go ahead! :)

regards Kevin

I like the concept of the app. but i am worried of some hacking .
example i download your file which secretly allows you remote access .
Or worried that downloading your file allows you to up load from me (same concept as limewire used to have )

Sir these are worries i have for downloading from private source.
apps are the hottest thing on the market . get a patent and start making money.
The apps store on every phone is always adding more aps and they are a money making machine . and by doing that it becomes trusted being that it has been evaluated by the app store managemant .
signs of fraud in my opinion .
A.keeping it free out of the goodness of your heart.
B. an amateur radio club turning down FREE software in hometown sounds
Extremely Shady. not one person jumped on it ?

my conclusion is the app is terrible or something is wrong .
the story of the every one in the local club turning a neat app doesnt hold water to me .

my advise to you simply make a YOUTUBE video of your app and you doing a walkthrough
and ill bite . post a link of the video here and MAYBE if someone sees it in action we can give you input .

73's
Dan
SOC NSW
USN retired

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated