• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

EBAY SELLERS

I cant see those prices unless you are a die hard hardcore collector that is very nostalgic. Sure they look nice and bring about memories of days gone by, but not very usefull to combat the hash and trash of todays 11 meter use.

I cant see those prices unless you are a die hard hardcore collector that is very nostalgic. Sure they look nice and bring about memories of days gone by, but not very usefull to combat the hash and trash of todays 11 meter use.

I see that. The GE's and the Royce I have can't stand a chance compared to my CRE and 959 without some serious modding. The GE's have a so called mic preamp circuit. I've tried using a Road Devil on them and another CB'er's GE but can't turn the RD's mic volume up past 1/8 or else they'll squeal. I've been wondering if I can bypass that mic preamp circuit and inject the audio signal further down the audio stream. They're nothing like the export radios.
The Royce has a very slow reacting AMC circuit. It will peak big time but then the AMC kicks in.

P.S. I had been looking at the SBE because I thought it would be neat as a first base station. It's honking big.

Last edited:
The 11 meter Galaxy base station looks so ugly. The Connex Saturn base station looks nice but the facisa could use a facelift,especially the speaker grill

I cant see those prices unless you are a die hard hardcore collector that is very nostalgic.

When the nostalgia bug bites, I'll pay more than something is actually worth (within reason). Currently assembling a modest collection of tuners, scanners and CB radios based ones I owned in my youth (70's). It's been fun and I'm going to set up a new shack to house everything.

I've been wondering if I can bypass that mic preamp circuit and inject the audio signal further down the audio stream.

:blink::blink::blink:

But But But....
That is so you do NOT have to use a mic with a pre-amp in it, no need.
I have had a couple of these little GE radios and they work rather well for a FCC rig just as they are, no need to redesign something that works well as is. ;)

Jeff

I asked that question because I am curious. I've been pouring over the schematic for these GE radios to learn about radios.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    701.8 KB · Views: 4
3-5813A ..
I understand how circuits work on a basic level. It's all these components that I wonder how they work.

P.S. I don't see where the mic preamp is as advertised. The Royce 604's schematic plainly shows it's mic preamp.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
3-5813A Legend
I'm trying to help set a fellow CB'er's GE3-5814A's modulation. His Road Devil can only be turned up 1/8. I have his AMC turned up over 100%. These guys around here are used to loud distorted audio. His radio isn't overly loud but I can tell that his audio is compressed. When he eats the mic. These GE's mics do good when they're about 3 or 4 inches away from the mouth and speaking directly into them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    887.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I have the GE 3-5813B that DTB who did a basic tune along with a different value main audio cap. On the NOS/NIB GE 3-5813A that I bought from the same EBAY seller,I made a few internal adjustments to the modulation that was only at 60% and brought it up to around 100% with my voice( I don't whistle talk). The receive was way low and adjusted that. It seems to be very close on frequency as I don't have a way to test that. Dead key was 3 watts so I brought that up to around 4 or so watts dead key. I blew the factory 2 amp fuse when I adjusted the modulation to my liking. A 3-5 amp fuse will do. It now has a 4.5 watt dead key with a 28 watt PEP which is 2-3 watts higher than the DTB tuned GE due to a higher modulation. Like I said before,a mild amplified mic would be perfect for this radio. It sounds good with the stock mic but I have to talk right in it and raise my voice. I get good radio reports from my brother(my critic). He's in favor of good natural sounding audio. He's also convinced me of running my Road Devil's mic volume at half or less on my 959. The modulation meter is calibrated on that one. I heard another CB'er on a self tuned used 959 with a Road Devil with the mic volume and radio modulation turned all the way up and sounds unintelligible. That's another one I'm communicating with about how that it's not how loud but how good you sound on a radio that counts. My plans for my 959 is to use the Ranger SRA-198 mic on it and adjust the modulation to match it.

P.S. I should've bought the Lafayette 2400FM off of him. It has the best natural sounding good audio I've ever heard.

P.S. P.S. I bought a few Sams Photofacts books for my vintage radios off of Ebay. That's why I was able to "tune" my GE. All you need I'd wisdom,favor,and some good tools.

P.S. And then some;I bought an Astatic 636L that I might use in my 959 and maybe the GE's. I have a short mic adapter cord that I could rewire for Galaxy mic pin outs to work on the GE's. The GE's mic pinouts have the audio reversed with the ground/shield and the transmit reversed with the receive from how a Galaxy is wired.

Last edited:
:blink::blink::blink:

But But But....
That is so you do NOT have to use a mic with a pre-amp in it, no need.
I have had a couple of these little GE radios and they work rather well for a FCC rig just as they are, no need to redesign something that works well as is. ;)

Jeff

Thanks. Yes,no need to redesign them,just some good modulation. (y)

Here's my latest acquisition. A Royce Power/SWR meter. The pic of it looks like they've wiped the dust off,most likely from an estate sale. Hopefully it's NOS.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 6

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.