• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Electric Fence

kd0fx

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Aug 16, 2009
EN10bt
My wife is bugging me to add a few electrified strands to the yard. How much trouble will that cause me? Is it just a given that electric fences will generate rfi? Are there any particular types or brands of fence products I should look for that will give me the best chance of not generating unwanted output?

electric fence should be ok until the weeds or grass start shorting out the fence, then you will hear a popping noise on most bands, sort of like a spark gap transmitter.

Keep the conductive weeds off the hot wire and you should be ok.

electric fence should be ok until the weeds or grass start shorting out the fence, then you will hear a popping noise on most bands, sort of like a spark gap transmitter.

Keep the conductive weeds off the hot wire and you should be ok.

there is one called a weed burner.

We used to have one years ago called a weed chopper. Nice power output, solid state control that "looked" at the run with a milivolt current to sense a ground path.
It would then fire the HV pulse and blow or burn the weed off at the fence level.

Talk about sending a cow, bull, pig etc back towards the center of the pasture.

(Also funny as hell to watch a cat or dog walk under it) :D

We used to have one years ago called a weed chopper. Nice power output, solid state control that "looked" at the run with a milivolt current to sense a ground path.
It would then fire the HV pulse and blow or burn the weed off at the fence level.

Talk about sending a cow, bull, pig etc back towards the center of the pasture.

(Also funny as hell to watch a cat or dog walk under it) :D

My grandfather used one of them on his dairy farm, the city cousins would come visit us. :D sure was fun watching them jump and holler until mom got a hold of my backside for being mean.

Well, I got electric fencing about 50 yards away from my tower. Its going all the time. 10/11 metres is where I hear it the most. Nothing on 20/40/80 metres.

Thanks for the advices. Now I can make a more educated stab at it. The ARRL article is exactly what I was looking for.

Reactions: 1 person
I've got a 20 mile charger running 50' or less from the tower base, then it takes a 90* and runs within 100' of the tower base headed the other way, and I don't hear it at all. The charger/ground rod itself is close to 75 yards down the line away from the tower by the garage.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.