• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

electronic cleaner spray can prices

Rwb

tell the devil im gettin there as fast as i can,r
Jun 30, 2018
was running low on electronic cleaner. i usually buy crc cleaner in 11 oz cans for average $12.

was at our friendy john deere dealer n seen bigger can of electronic cleaner,13.5 oz . price shocked me $8. a can n get 3.5 oz extra,plus at farm store tax exhempt as i can use it on bad contacs in a tractor.
now the flaming prolly starts sayin i can use this on radios got to buy the expensive deox because its what YOU USE .
tried a sample spray on a sticky squelch and a few turns it was cleaned n working fine.
from every other chemical john deere sells made to their specs has been very good quality
20230119_034208.jpg
20230119_034100.jpg

For things like dirty pots WD-40 will work. I have used it in a pinch and never had a problem with it. I wouldn't use it all the time but just saying that for dirty pots it is as good as a product made for electronics. Deoxit is a great product and is preferred in some applications, especially relay contacts. I am guessing that JD simply has that cleaner made by someone else and has it relabelled for them.

The difference between contact cleaner and deoxit is that deoxit will leave an oily film to lubricate the contacts or pot. When using contact cleaner and you find yourself going back periodically to clean again, then deoxit would be a better choice. This oily film also prevents further oxidation by sealing the surface to prevent oxygen from reaching it. Contact cleaner cuts oil and leaves no residue, squeaky clean. So if something is gunked up and needs to be irrigated, then contact cleaner leaves no mess. They are two different things used for different reasons.

What i seen its got lube in it. Better than crc so far. Used to get cleaner lube from rs but we know where that went.
Price for this is reasonable.
Captain kilowatt your wd 40 made me think back to a neighbor.he had a surge milk system.huge box full of contacs all connect via side lever 220 volts. He asked me how to cure dirty connections i said what i use or wd 40 but shut lectric off first. He sprayed wd 40 in the box n didnt shut lectric off as i told him . SNAP FLASH FLAMES. Called surge dealer $500 later he was in buisness. I arrived as dealer showed up.i said didnt listen did you? He said why shut lectric off.dealer hit floor laughing n said that why im here now.

I prefer Deoxit Fader Spray for most pots and occasionally Deoxit Fader Grease for those old AM transistor radio volume controls.

Note: The Deoxit spray cans come in two types, old school straw applicator, and the new flip-up applicator style. IMO I originally thought the new flip-up type was a great because you never needed to worry about losing the straw, but not only do you need to keep the applicator extended horizontally, it still leaks all over you hand regardless. Unless they someday improve the flip-up, I'm going back to the original straw cans.

Reactions: Dr_DX and Rwb
The difference between contact cleaner and deoxit is that deoxit will leave an oily film to lubricate the contacts or pot. When using contact cleaner and you find yourself going back periodically to clean again, then deoxit would be a better choice. This oily film also prevents further oxidation by sealing the surface to prevent oxygen from reaching it. Contact cleaner cuts oil and leaves no residue, squeaky clean. So if something is gunked up and needs to be irrigated, then contact cleaner leaves no mess. They are two different things used for different reasons.

Actually that depends. SOME contact cleaners do indeed contain a lubricant. I used to use a switch and contact cleaner made by GC Chemicals that would leave an oily film. I used it on REALLY expensive slide pots used in audio consoles. I also used to use a product called Blue Shower too on rotary pots. It actually was blue and foamed up at first application, and it would last almost forever in a pot. Non-residue type cleaners are best for things like switch and relay contacts. Electricians at work use a non-residue cleaner on the 480 volt 1200 amp three-phase slip rings on the machines. That is a place you DO NOT want any residue left behind. LOL

Actually that depends. SOME contact cleaners do indeed contain a lubricant. I used to use a switch and contact cleaner made by GC Chemicals that would leave an oily film. I used it on REALLY expensive slide pots used in audio consoles. I also used to use a product called Blue Shower too on rotary pots. It actually was blue and foamed up at first application, and it would last almost forever in a pot. Non-residue type cleaners are best for things like switch and relay contacts. Electricians at work use a non-residue cleaner on the 480 volt 1200 amp three-phase slip rings on the machines. That is a place you DO NOT want any residue left behind. LOL
kinda like that surge power divider box id think. radio shack spray cleaner was a great product . wish radio shack was still up n running. always went in to get abput any lectric item 1 could desire in radio projects and repair

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
I made the mistake of spraying a circuit board with Radio Shack TV tuner cleaner when I was a kid. It has a sticky grease residue to lubricate the plastic gears in a TV channel selector mechanism. What a mess, kind of had a funny smell that almost smelled good. It was kind of weird that way.
I remember that. It was a weird kind of sweet smell and you are not alone in making that mistake. That film would attract and hold dust.

kinda like that surge power divider box id think. radio shack spray cleaner was a great product . wish radio shack was still up n running. always went in to get abput any lectric item 1 could desire in radio projects and repair
Radio Shack was excellent, until they tried to be a cell phone store and got rid of all their components and such. That was their demise.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.