• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Export Radios, Amps, and the Police?

Feb 14, 2013
The World
Here's a question I have searched for but have found no real answer and not sure there is a real one. Can the police arrest you if you have illegal export radio and amplifier in your vehicle hooked up? I have asked some that I know well and they didn't really know and said they wouldn't be bothered with it unless something was going on illegally. LOL! I have come over police radios in their cars right next to them only to receive a wave of cut it out. I did stop that when I learned what I was doing, many years ago. I was just wondering if anyone knew as I heard the FCC doesn't do anything unless your being stupid and they are around or get complaints.

You're more likely to be put under citizen's arrest by a deranged ham operator. :D
I was just curious because I had a episode with a parking cop who asked me about my antenna(predator 10K) and I said it was for cb radio and she said she thought that was for kids and I told her that it and ham radio has saved many lives and still do and people of all ages talk on the radio today. She got all red in the face and left. Couple weeks later Im outside by my vehicle and she was talking to a cop directing traffic by my house. When she left about 10 minutes later he comes over asking me about my antenna and radio stuff and if it was legal and did i have one of those trucker boxes. At the time i only had a Galaxy 979 and I let him look and I told him i only do cb and explained the antenna as compared to a whip yada yada he left. I was just wondering if they can arrest you for it if it was"illegal" stuff.

Reactions: KaydoKaylen
No, the FCC regulations have no teeth. If the FCC wants to do anything to you, they have to take you to court. They have no authority and if they want to inspect your equipment, you can refuse. At least from everything I have read about hams that go off the deep end. If you are interfering with government radio services, then that's a different story.

No, the FCC regulations have no teeth. If the FCC wants to do anything to you, they have to take you to court. They have no authority and if they want to inspect your equipment, you can refuse. At least from everything I have read about hams that go off the deep end.
I'm talking regular town police.

Reactions: S&W357
I think that if you are in possession of an amp the fcc will assume you use it. Without a ham ticket and a CB radio they will assume the truth.

The parking cop sounds deranged. You should have asked for her call sign. This is one of those times where you don't offer up too much info and these kinds of people will leave you alone. People thinking you're dumb isn't always bad.

If you are ever deemed a threat...

Loitering...
Trespassing...
Public Nuisance...
Stalking....
Generating Interference on PA (address intercom systems inside stores and homes - Alexia, Google and Home Entertainment not inclusive) interfering with communications not pertaining to you...

You can be arrested for such above, and equipment can be confiscated in civil forfeiture if you are charged with any misdemeanor crime or above...all it takes is a Police complaint about noises - if you are blasting your audio and the entrainment system of the home happens to be picking up your signal and they, being the party you're interfering with gets it recorded on the 911 call - it's kinda hard to testify against yourself.

So don't go around making a nuisance of yourself - don't bother anyone - and talk away...

But if you cause interference with anyone around you - it can get you into trouble. Especially with cameras on phones these days, you can get tagged and harassed, tailed and stalked by police and detectives for a long time...

The police don't need FCC to stop complaints - they just need to locate the person doing it.

The "Radio and equipment" is up to you to prove it didn't cause it - so the burden of proof is on you, remember the phone cameras and recording of the 911 call - if you're heard or seen on any of it - well, Better Hope the FCC may be the only people that LET you get your equipment back. That is if they decide to intervene.

https://uscode.house.gov/statutes/pl/106/521.pdf

'^° authorize the enforcement by State and local governments of certain Federal :—: Communications Commission regulations regarding use of citizens band radio [H.R. 2346] equipment.

SECTION 1. STATE AND LOCAL ENFORCEMENT OF FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION REGULATIONS ON USE OF CITIZENS BAND RADIO EQUIPMENT

https://uscode.house.gov/statutes/pl/106/521.pdf

'^° authorize the enforcement by State and local governments of certain Federal :—: Communications Commission regulations regarding use of citizens band radio [H.R. 2346] equipment.

SECTION 1. STATE AND LOCAL ENFORCEMENT OF FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION REGULATIONS ON USE OF CITIZENS BAND RADIO EQUIPMENT

I remember this being passed.

Still, I can’t imagine that most localities are even aware let alone equipped to do much enforcement.

Reactions: 530
Good job accountability for Barney Fife?

upload_2020-1-15_11-53-39.jpeg

If you are ever deemed a threat...

Loitering...
Trespassing...
Public Nuisance...
Stalking....
Generating Interference on PA (address intercom systems inside stores and homes - Alexia, Google and Home Entertainment not inclusive) interfering with communications not pertaining to you...

You can be arrested for such above, and equipment can be confiscated in civil forfeiture if you are charged with any misdemeanor crime or above...all it takes is a Police complaint about noises - if you are blasting your audio and the entrainment system of the home happens to be picking up your signal and they, being the party you're interfering with gets it recorded on the 911 call - it's kinda hard to testify against yourself.

So don't go around making a nuisance of yourself - don't bother anyone - and talk away...

But if you cause interference with anyone around you - it can get you into trouble. Especially with cameras on phones these days, you can get tagged and harassed, tailed and stalked by police and detectives for a long time...

The police don't need FCC to stop complaints - they just need to locate the person doing it.

The "Radio and equipment" is up to you to prove it didn't cause it - so the burden of proof is on you, remember the phone cameras and recording of the 911 call - if you're heard or seen on any of it - well, Better Hope the FCC may be the only people that LET you get your equipment back. That is if they decide to intervene.

Its nothing like that at all. Not sure if you saw my reply to a post explaining what happened. Check my second post.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated