• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Farthest 11 meter DX contact and equipment used?

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
From my qth in the Pine Barrens of Southern New Jersey, to Guam. About 7,000 miles plus with an IMAX 2000 8 feet off the ground, Uniden Madison, Silver Eagle on upper side band, with 500 watts.
Although not as far my most satisfying contact was with the station of a young kid on the east coast of Turkey. With the same setup I mentioned above. It was when the skip was really strong to Ireland and the UK. I think it was about two or three years ago. I made a contact to the UK on the free bands, and it was a Station I spoke to on several occasions already. He was having a qso before I got to the frequency and that qsl was with that very station in Turkey. He was apparently acquainted with the young fellow in Turkey. The UK station asked me to shout out his young friend in turkey to see if we could make the contact. I called his call sign, and he called back. That kid was so so so excited! I was actually happy for him. Apparently he was using some type of balcony antenna. I don't know what his station consisted of or if it was stock. It was around 11 a.m. and the upper side band frequency we were on was fairly quiet. The station in Turkey only came in at 2 s units or even less on my meter but I certainly heard him. We heard each other enough to have a short qso. I will never forget his excitement! He couldn't believe he was speaking to someone in America. I thought that was pretty cool. Contact to east coast of Turkey was approximately a dick under 7,000 miles.

Last edited:

The farthest I have talked was California, by accident. I was on a bone stock Cobra 29 testing different microphones on a quiet channel and listening to myself on another radio in the other room. We talked long enough to exchange information and then he was gone, just like that. Mother nature was on our side for sure. Normally the conditions will only take me west to the Mississippi river and that's it. Every once in a while I can get some states just on the other side, but not often.

My DX machine is a Stryker 955 with an X-Force 4 pill doing about 600w. A dynamic studio MIC and some rack gear put the audio right where it needs be. The Sirio Vector 4000 is about 40ft to the feed point and has done a great job in the two years that it has been up. I have a Sirio 4 element in the works and I am hoping that it will give me a little boost. Unfortunately the summer DX is a most over, looking forward to more activity as the solar cycle ramps up in the coming years.
Chris

While testing the first Interceptor 10K Antenna, a highly modified Maco V5000 at ten feet, with a bone stock Motorola System 500 mobile radio, a station breaking in wanting to know what we were all testing. MY friend was running plenty of steam, and talked to this guy from Australia, then I talked to him for a few minutes. I'd like to think the antenna had a lot to do with it, but conditions were pretty good. Still was all jazzed over that contact.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert.... "Next Gas 150 Miles"

From my qth in the Pine Barrens of Southern New Jersey, to Guam. About 7,000 miles plus with an IMAX 2000 8 feet off the ground, Uniden Madison, Silver Eagle on upper side band, with 500 watts.

Whilst 10m so technically not 11m but as I was using a popular 11m export radio.....

4155 miles from UK to Hyderabad in India using 20W from a President Lincoln into a Hexbeam 32ft off the ground. Managed to make it through a pileup.

Ignore the shouting, I got a bit excited....

For me, it was from Missouri (me) to Italy (them) on 27.385 MHz (38 lower) we then tuned down to 27.380 and talked a bit to get away from the noise. I had (and still have) a Kenwood TS-2000 and I don't know what they had. The antenna was an Imax 2000.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated