• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fathers Day Weekend - LSB 16

Rick330man

WDX 404
Mar 16, 2013
Florida Keys
The idea of "reclaiming" LSB 16, the original SSB hailing frequency on CB as part of an effort to bring some relief to the LSB 38 pile up has been kicked around here quite a bit. I propose that folks here make an effort this weekend to both monitor and shoot some skip on LSB 16. If operators on here show up and Mother Nature cooperates it could work.

What do you think?

Please feel free to use my online SDR receiver to listen to activity in the southern New England area. This link tunes right to Ch 16L:

http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/?f=27155.00lsbz6

If you have never used one of these receivers before it allows 4 people to listen and share an online receiver covering 0-32MHz. Common courtesy is to not use it for hours on end as it only has four slots but if you check the users tab you can see how many people are using it and what frequency they are listening to.

If the receiver is full, please consider giving up your slot so someone else can jump on it. You can see in the image below that RX2 is open but the other three are active. There are a lot of groups that frequent my receiver so please be considerate. (There is a user banning and frequency deletion feature on this radio!)

upload_2019-6-14_10-11-43.png

There are hundreds of these receivers worldwide - https://sdr.hu/map - but some do not have good antennas or are optimized for only certain frequencies.

- Rob

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-14_10-9-53.png
    upload_2019-6-14_10-9-53.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Binrat deserves a lot of credit. He sets up the Dx contests on this forum. Success in building a second (or reclaiming the original) CB SSB hailing frequency could make those Dx contests better by relieving the LSB 38 log jam. Outside of contests, it would add something by creating more options and just overall improving operators' 11 meter skip experience.

I'll be taking my 18' Shakespeare 176-1 Big Stick on board my 19' open fisherman down here in the Keys. I'll have my Cherokee AH100 SSB walkie talkie with me. I hope to QSO with some of you this week-end on LSB 16.

Last edited:
Is there any reason why skip became so entrenched on am 6, lsb 38, from a technical point of view, are these frequencies more conducive to skip, or just where people tended to group. Why does nobody ever use upper side band? Again is there something about lower that works better, Just thought I would pose the question, perhaps somebody has some thoughts on this, will be on 16, when I can all weekend, hope to hear some of you, "North 7" Ontario, Canada.

Hello All: I was whistling and tuning up my old rig on Ch 16 LSB 27.155 Mc, yesterday and had a nice chat with a Oregon station running a barefoot mobile. Kind of neat being able to talk to a low power mobile as we did years ago. Not buried by the big boys with all the steam.

I will be in and out of the Advanced State of the Art Research and Development Center, the Garage, but will keep an ear open on 16 LSB. Breaker...

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Made a very short contact with 179 from, I believe North Carolina, skip was up an down, but we managed to say hello on LSB 16, "North 7" Ontario Canada
That was us, bunch of nimrods on 17 am running some real junk, roger beeps, noise toys,tearing up 16 pretty bad here.
Thanks for the contact, NC179

Just got back in from being mobile , a few contacts on 38 LSB , but 16 LSB was quiet on my end , I'll be monitoring on & off through the day . WDX 1183

I was on around 11:45A.M. There was some activity on LSB 38; however, LSB 16 was dead. I called out a few times on LSB 16 but did not get any responses. I'll try again later tonight and a few times tomorrow.

Suggestion:

what if we set up a schedule? For example: we would try noon eastern time (9:00A.M. pacific), 3:00P.M. eastern (noon pacific) and 6:00P.M. eastern (3:00P.M. pacific). Since there is a small group pursuing this, maybe coordinating the time would help improve the chances for making contact.

Maybe we could try it tomorrow?

Food for thought.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated