• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Favorite fiberglass antenna?

One of my locals blew up 3 Gainmasters. I think he's done with that antenna now.:LOL:
They do have power limits, so if you plan on running a big box then you have to look elsewhere.
I think Marconi was running a 3-500z into his when he had it up.
If you are running bigger, best look for some Aluminum.

Jeff

I have 2, actually. My 7 ft skipshooter and my 5 ft Wilson Silver Load. They both perform very well and very similar to each other. Just my 2 cents worth.

my favorite is my 5 foot skipshooter ..also used wilson silverloads which i like equally well..and firesticks which i thought were ok. most times my skipshooter works as good or better than my wilson 5000 magount and wilson 5000 trucker.if ya on a budget and not running alot of power skipshooter is a great choice..if ya running lots of power looking into predator 10k ,mr.coily ,ect. or 102 whip..just my experience thru the years

I've got an A99 up at one location and an IMAX 2000 up at the other. No fiberglass antenna of mine goes up unless it is wrapped in plastic wiring loom. The loom takes the beating of the UV rays, not the antenna. That's why my 1/2 wave fiberglass Radio Shack Archer Crossbow (made by Shakespeare but sold as a Radio Shack product) still lives. The antennas come down every year whenever there is the threat of a hurricane - like now. The loom gets replaced at those times.

Are they the best talkers or ears out there? I doubt it, but they have done their jobs well for years. I don't remember how old my A99 is, but I paid $55.00 for it new. I paid $106.00 new for the IMAX. Both have years of use and are still going strong.

I've got an A99 up at one location and an IMAX 2000 up at the other. No fiberglass antenna of mine goes up unless it is wrapped in plastic wiring loom. edited for brevity; not to say yer long winded,u AH

Are they the best talkers or ears out there? I doubt it, but they have done their jobs well for years. I don't remember how old my A99 is, but I paid $55.00 for it new. I paid $106.00 new for the IMAX. Both have years of use and are still going strong.
I wish I'd gotten several Imax 2000 when they were as cheap as my 1st.
I'm ignorant of any other fiber glass antennas other than A99 and Imax 2000?

I'd long believed the 5/8λ was the better of the two. Most recently I'd read, on the all truthful internet, the 5/8λ is short range challenged; whatever the "short range" unit of measurement is? Since I upgraded the GPK it's got the ears I hadn't realized before. See recent post: Imax 2000 GPK 103.

Wire loom; what color, the braided sort? I'm a fan of several cured coats of Carnauba wax. Very long lasting, possibly approaching the scale of forever; when not subject to > 200d F and abrasive automatic car wash detergents. Quite possible oxidizing inorganic aerosols aren't healthy for the wax. Once upon a time I saw the accumulation of coal soot, power plant nearby, on non-treated fiberglass GPX radials; but, not on the antenna. I upgrade the GPK recently.

Taking yours down for hurricane threats suggests you are in sand country. Another one of them abrasives.
Speaking of hurricanes; my 1st Imax 2000 met it's match during decaying tropical storm winds in C. AL. Couldn't stand the match-up with oak tree branches it had become surrounded by over it's long life. Twisted up like a pretzel when I got it down and I'm sure the carnauba wax was no help.

Never accused of being long winded; but, self-diagnosed with diarrhea of the key-stroke.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.