• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

fcc and station inspection

AE5RD

Reformed CB'er
May 4, 2005
If the FCC came to my house and inspected my station would my Yaesu 101b be type accepted and be a legal radio. It has 11 meter capability from the factory.

Last edited:

The Yaesu Ft 101 B with the 11 slot is a legal radio, however it is not legal to use it on The CB frequencys.
It is not "Type Accepted" for CB. A Long time ago, 11 meters was a Ham band, then FCC changed the rules, and made it class d cb radio service.
So in a nut shell, you can have the radio, but you cant use it to transmit with. You can use it to listen.
The best thing to do, is study for your Tech Lic, it is not hard to pass the test, and then you can run that radio on Ten Meters.
Ten Meters works just like 11 meters when the band is open, is a lot cleaner, and you don`t have to worry about it. Heck if you study just a little more, and do the general, you can run Legal Limit, 1500 watts and be legal as Ice cream (y)
Funny thing is, you hardly ever need to, 150/200 watts on SSB on ten meters, and you really can work the world when the Cycle is up and the band is open.

Jeff

'III-Jack',
In the last 10 years of so, I only know first hand of one station that was 'inspected' by the FCC. There were probably more than that, but I haven't heard of them. There were several of us who listened to that inspection being done over a three day period. The 'accused' wasn't guilty of doing what was claimed, and it was proved to the FCC's satisfaction. In fact, they also did an inspection of the 'accuser's residence, and that was a totally different story :).
If/when one of those inspections is done, if you treat the inspectors as you'd want to be treated, it's a friendly sort of thing. They may have suggestions about changing things if needed, but they really are not the monsters people make them out to be. Don't misunderstand, they don't 'over-look' the biggies, but they also don't make big deals out of the little stuff.
That license is sort of a 'ticket to ride' in a lot of ways. Along with having rules to follow, it also protects you from a lot of stuff and well worth the trouble of getting.

As far as the 'FT-101b' is concerned, it was 'type accepted' a long time ago. There should be no problems with it, if you have that license, or can show that you are trying to get it, sort of. Lots of things in this world to worry about, but that one isn't exactly at the top of the list, you know?
- 'Doc

If you don't have a ham license (any class), an FCC inspector will probably look a little harder at things if he sees your Yaesu. If he's been monitoring for a while and identifying your house/apartment as the source of radio transmissions and you're not licensed to transmit on those frequencies, you may find yourself in a spot of trouble. If the monitoring shows transmissions on 11 meters and they see the Yaesu, the 101B might well be gone.

Just get your ticket
is easy to get...use QRZ.com (there are a couple other sites good to help you)

Is actually a good thing to have
Is a great hobby and a natural progession from cb to ham

I agree, get the ticket and that Ft-101B will open up a whole new world for you as far as propagation and great contacts on a lot of frequencies.

Yaesu

Well guys I am a General. I just was wondering what would happen if they came and saw my old Yaesu since it was capable of 11 meters.

Good Deal. The fact that the radio has 11 meters is fine, the only time you will have a problem, is if you use it to transmit on the Cb band.
Have fun, I love the 101 radios, I can not wait untill the band picks back up again. There were a lot of guys running AM on these radios up on 29.mhz AM sub band during the last cycle.

Jeff

The 101b is a great radio to have and as long as it has not been modified in any way you are in the clear (other than a mic or maybe a tube that would cross with a factory tube)

If I am not mistaken the rules state you can not modify to transmit out of band.But if it is done from the factory you should be fine in that area.And as long as you are not transmitting out of band as to what your ticket will allow you ,I would say dont loose any sleep on it :)

As a licensed amateur radio operator (which 3I-Jack didn't mention up front):glare:, you can modify a radio to your heart's content, BUT you can't transmit, or allow modulation products, splatter, etc, outside of the amateur bands and sub-bands.

Knowing now that he's a General, the Yaesu would be just fine, unless the FCC had been monitoring and had identified his station as the source of CB transmissions, or transmissions outside the ham bands. Then all bets would be off.

As a licensed amateur radio operator (which 3I-Jack didn't mention up front):glare:, you can modify a radio to your heart's content, BUT you can't transmit, or allow modulation products, splatter, etc, outside of the amateur bands and sub-bands.

100% correct, that is the thing about Ham radio, you are allowed to experiment to you hearts content as long as you keep the signal clean, and in the bands you cover with your Lic. This is much different than other radio services were you are stuck with a radio that has to stay the way it was when it left the manufacture`s plant.

Jeff

Best thing you could do is play by the rules as set forth by the almighty FCC and have the 11 meter mod reversed.

The 101B model has 11 meters on the band switch stock, it came the way from Yaesu, no mod needed.
At one time, 11 meters was a Legit Ham Band.

Jeff

I think someone missed something but I am not sure who or what. :blink:

Yes the radio is 100% legal to own. It does not need any mods undone. Yes it would be illegal to use it on 11m even though 11m was installed as stock from the factory. That was done before 11m became a class D CB service.That is the short and to the point answer.

The problem is Amateur's lost 11 meters to class D CB in Sept. 1958. My FT-101B was made in the 70's with 11 meters stock. I think Yaesu has a history of this sort of thing. 757gx is an example. But bottom line is it can't legally be transmitted from on 11 meters as was previously stated. Not illegal to have.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.