1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

FCC should just open up 11meters as a Citizens experimental band.

Discussion in 'FCC Activity' started by jdobbs2001, Mar 16, 2018.

1. jdobbs2001

jdobbs2001 Active Member

no one uses it except CB. At this point why not just open it legally and allow people to use Ham equipment to operate on the band. Ham radios are clean and dont splatter etc.. and it would give people a chance to get a taste of working HF and might get them into getting a Ham license and operate all HF.

Thats what got me interested, got my feet wet and wanted to get my license so I can work 20 meters etc..

I bet Icom,Yaseu etc.. would love to see this happen, they would sell a lot more radios and the legit Amp companies like Acom,Ameritron etc... would love it as well.

2. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

They just got rid of the maximum legal distance restriction not too long ago. Hopefully they will open it up to higher power at some point. Not that it stops people now.

Staybolt and Sonar like this.
  3. Road Squawker

Road Squawker Sr. Member

Won't happen

4. StrangeBrew

StrangeBrew Sr. Member

It wouldn't be as much fun if it was legal.;)

Staybolt, BammBamm, murdog and 2 others like this.
  5. wavrider

wavrider W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Listening to some of the stations on 11 meters and the operators it does seem like an experiment always

n8fgb, LeapFrog and KD2GOE like this.
  6. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

And children should be encouraged to play with flame throwers and hand grenades.
    I know I would have enjoyed those as a kid!

n8fgb, binrat, wavrider and 1 other person like this.
  7. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

Don't forget the cigarettes.

Tallman likes this.
  8. Tallman

And the homemade wine!

LeapFrog, binrat and wavrider like this.
  9. Sonar

Sonar Sr. Member

That's an extreme comparison imo.

10. Tallman

I think just throwing the doors open on 11 meters with no qualifications or enforcement would be very much akin to that.

binrat and Sonar like this.
  11. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

I don't know a single person that follows the rules that are in place now .

Staybolt and Sonar like this.
  12. Sonar

Sonar Sr. Member

11 m is a wash with all types of equipment that brakes every rules the FCC set forth for CB Radio use. The FCC has to know what's going on. I think trying to rectify the issue would be like trying to drain the Atlantic Ocean with a straw.

Staybolt, Tallman and murdog like this.
  13. LeapFrog

LeapFrog Sr. Member

How I imagine things would play out if "they came for the (legal) guns".
    This isn't Australia after all, and I feel the FCC really only cares about interference.
    They are likely busy attempting to stop unlicensed broadcasts of copyrighted works.

Sonar likes this.
  14. Sonar

Sonar Sr. Member

I would imagine unlicensed broadcasters, and copywrite infringement's are low on the list (although higher than 11meter, and ham law breakers.)
    I would think they're focused on people using the airwaves for covert terrorists, and or anti US government activities. The ones using the airwaves for sending coded Transmissions, I believe are out there. If that's the case I don't blame them (fcc) for putting citizens band, and amateur radio operators at the bottom of the #got to get'em" law breaking/bending operators list.
    I'm not one big on conspiracy theories. But I have heard strange Transmissions above channel 40 LSB and USB. I could only imagine what amateur and SW listeners hear while tuning around the thousands of frequencies they're monitoring.
    In all honesty I couldn't distinguish a data communicating signal from a CW one.
    But I've watched some interesting youtube clips.
    Weather these are Cuban, Russian, or Al-Qaeda communique's, I don't know. But those hobbiest's who stand out on their porches for hours with a loop or other type of antenna waiting to hear some data chat from the international space station know the difference. And those are the kinds of people posting clips of questionable Transmissions. Thats where I believe the FCC puts most of their resources, and should. Am I experiencing an conspiracy theorist moment? 73's

LeapFrog likes this.
  15. LeapFrog

LeapFrog Sr. Member

Sonar, I've heard (and seen on SDR)
    some odd and or strange things, I'm just now getting into PSK and other "digital modes" so I cannot say that I've ever observed anything I knew for certain was "covert terrorists" but I honestly believe some foreign (not friendly) governments transmit on portions of the 11 meter band, some frequencies within the CB are noticeably "jammed" (CH 4 or 5 and Ch 39 + above) with some type of data, that or I'm noticing an an illicit beacon possibly used for determining propagation?

#15 LeapFrog, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Sonar likes this.