• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC ULS Database Privacy?

boomerbill

Sep 6, 2010
I am a newly licensed Technician class. My new call sign appeared in the ULS database just today - along with my home address.

Is there any way I can opt NOT to have my home address listed with my license info? For reasons of personal security and privacy, I would prefer not to have my actual home address accessible to anyone who hears my call sign.

Call me Mr. Paranoid.

You can get a PO Box and use it as your mailing address, but why? I've had my home address (and before that, my folks' address) in call books, etc. for the last 51 years.

As an FCC licensee, your mailing address, whether the street address or the PO Box number, is in the public domain, like it or not.

Ok guys, I'll get over it then.

I just don't like my home address quite so readily available. I wish I'd known when filling out the license paperwork that the address was published. I do have a P.O. box and would have used that.

I checked on the FCC site regarding change of address. Hell, it's more complicated than passing the license exam :eek:

So I guess when I'm mobile, I'll try to remember not to say I'm on vacation out of state for two weeks and then give my call sign......

You can UPDATE your information with them and substitute your PO Box as the new address. This is the same procedure as if you moved. When moving or changing address, you're supposed to do this within 30 days anyway. So just look for the form for submitting an update....should be able to do this online at the FCC ULS site, and UPDATE your license.

Thanks Wire Weasel. I think I'm jumping-the-gun here.

From poking around the FCC ULS website I see that the easiest way to update (change) my address is online. To do that, I need my FRN number (which I have) and my FRN password - which I believe is coming in the mail.

The only other way that I can see is to download "form 605", fill it in and mail. Form 605 looks like a bureaucratic masterpiece that I would rather avoid.

So I think my best course is to:

1. Wait for the FCC paperwork with the FRN password.
2. Update the address to my P.O. Box online.
3. Stop wasting bandwidth with these posts and get on with the radio stuff.

Thanks for indulging this newcomer :tongue:

Your name, address, phone #, SSN, place of employment, maiden name, kid's names, etc, is on dozens if not hundreds of publicly available lists already. That's not to mention the sites which you have to pay for.

If you have a friend of a friend who knows the dispatcher at your local Police Dept, Sheriff's Dept, etc it is a very simple matter for him to enter your name in the NCIC database and print the results.
He can log the inquiry to any one of the active patrol officers and never get caught.
Been there, seen it.
In this day and age the only way to be invisible is disappear into the forest and live out the rest of your days living off of the land.
(Of course you could always join the MIB. They know how to erase you from ever having existed) :LOL:

I'm not trying to live off-grid at all. Way too late for that.

I'm trying to prevent this:

My wife and I are planning a trip across country. While mobile, I inadvertently mention that we're traveling and give my call sign. Any person hearing the call sign can cross reference via ULS database to my real home address. Knowing that we are not home, they burglarize the house. This kind of crap happens all the time on Facebook.

This is simple security, and I'm surprised I'm the only one who has mentioned it.

Anyway, I'm changing my ULS record to my P.O. Box.

Case closed.

so what your saying is a thief is going to across country to burglarize your house because your not home? get real. burglars are optimistic predators. your way more likely to get robbed by not having a timer on your lights.

if your transmitting out of town an a burglar catches your call (really how many burglars know what a ham is or even would even put forth the effort to listen to hams.) hes out of town as well. you would have to have a really massive repeater network or play with echolink to even worry about it.

so what your saying is a thief is going to across country to burglarize your house because your not home? get real. burglars are optimistic predators. your way more likely to get robbed by not having a timer on your lights.

if your transmitting out of town an a burglar catches your call (really how many burglars know what a ham is or even would even put forth the effort to listen to hams.) hes out of town as well. you would have to have a really massive repeater network or play with echolink to even worry about it.

All the smart one's looking for an edge to further their crafts and happen to stumble across threads like this one via a Google search.... that's how many.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.