• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fcc Warning To Pirates

2600hz and some other tones not made with regular telephone. Radio shack used to make a keypad that you could easily convert. Now it’s all done on out band signaling. Same part where you get caller ID and such now. Late 80’s early 90’s was the last that was possible.

Anybody remember Captain Crunch aka John Draper? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Draper

There were a lot of phone "hacks" back in the day. When AT&T first implemented touch-tone dialing and ESS (electronic switching systems), the Bell Labs wanted to brag and issued a paper telling how the system worked. Knowledgeable folks took the info and figured our how to manipulate the system in so many ways. One of the best was injecting a tone that turned off the billing switch and allowed free long distance calls. One of the best scams was when a phone hacker used his knowledge of the phone company switching system to fraudulently win a pair of his and hers Corvettes during a Socal radio station giveaway. Oh for the good old days.

Been three years since I last spoke to John, aka Captain Crunch. He seemed a lot more lucid than he had in years.

Seems he finally got around to writing about it all. http://www.webcrunchers.com/

When I posted about John I was thinking that someone here knew him but wasn't sure which member it was. I bet he has some stories. LOL I remember seeing him on television several years ago on a show about the history of hacking.

Every time I attend a con where John's on hand I'll seek him out to say hello and wish him well. Wozniak looked after him off and on for a long time best he could, but John seems to have gotten his feet under him the last few years. Living at a permanent address, rather than under overpasses.

But I doubt he'd know me from Adam.

A true genius. And proof that the line between genius and insanity can be mighty thin.

There were a lot of phone "hacks" back in the day. When AT&T first implemented touch-tone dialing and ESS (electronic switching systems), the Bell Labs wanted to brag and issued a paper telling how the system worked. Knowledgeable folks took the info and figured our how to manipulate the system in so many ways. One of the best was injecting a tone that turned off the billing switch And allowed free long distance calls. One of the best scams was when a phone hacker used his knowledge of the phone company switching system to fraudulently win a pair of his and hers Corvettes during a Socal radio station giveaway. Oh for the good old days.

I remember this. I seem to remember it was called "phone phreaking".

Reactions: unit_399

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated