• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Finally Passed my Technician & General this weekend!

FedEx just dropped off my 500" Spool of Double Shielded RG8X and my Tram Model 1481 Dual-band Base Antenna (It's the17ft Base Antenna, 8dB 144MHz/11dB 440)

Believe it or not, I found the best price on the Antenna online at Staples and I had over $25 in Staples credits bringing the price down below $50 and they shipped it fast.

The funny thing is that I ordered the spool of RG8X the same night online from Beach Audio (best price for 500 ft double shield) and both the Staples and Beach Audio orders shipped from the exact same location in Oklahoma. Who'd a thunk it!?! haha

Now I have the 50 ohm coax so I just need to order a few more items such as SO-239, Terminal Posts, Weather Proof Box (weatherproof PVC junction box), and probably more copper #12 or 14 ga wire.

I really wanted to try the ladder line but it's kind of pricey right now.

Thanks, Gary for the links ... almost too many to choose from as now I have to ask...Which one do I go with. hahaha Choices

Greg
(still waiting on my call to be posted)

RG8X 444 loss.jpg

Greg: That RG8x will be JUNK on anything above 10 meters, unless you only plan on less than 50ft TOTAL to antenna.
Then even still to that TRAM antenna on 2m.
RG8X loss 147.jpg

RG8X 444 loss.jpg

Reactions: YR Mason FL
View attachment 42849
Greg: That RG8x will be JUNK on anything above 10 meters, unless you only plan on less than 50ft TOTAL to antenna.
Then even still to that TRAM antenna on 2m.
View attachment 42848
View attachment 42849

Thanks Gary.

After buying a new rig my money was running out so I had to get what I could afford for now. The 60' tower will be approx 5' outside of where my radios will be.

Too bad that Bamboo doesn't make for good antennas ... I have a lot of it that is approx 20' tall. ;)

The Tram antenna got quite a few excellent reviews but suggests that the joining sections need to be sealed with sealing tape.

I have not had any experience in the game that is known as radio comms since the 1980s.

I do appreciate the assistance brother.

Did you ever receive my contact information in a previous conversation?

Did you ever receive my contact information in a previous conversation?

Got it NP.

That TRAM antenna is fine, but feedline loss is even MORE important than antenna gain.
You will have nothing left at the antenna if it all "bleeds" out before it ever gets there.
Case in point: My 6 meter beam...aprox 75 ft. from radio to antenna, I am running the equivalent of RG8 TRI-SHIELD (LMR400max)...not even close to where I should be.
This Spring will be changing over to at least 1/2 inch Heliax type, both on 6m and 2 meter antennas.
The new 50ft. tower another 60 + ft away will get 7/8ths Heliax from shack to top of tower. Then covert to 1/2 inch superflex around the rotor and to boom of antenna.
This change alone will gain about 2 extra dB to antennas.
You must remember 3 dB loss equals 50% power loss, that pretty much is BOTH transmit and receive ability.
Just FYI before you jump in and put that Dual-Bander up 50+ft (100+ ft. feedline) on the tower and run RG8x to it, won't be much signal left when it gets there,. plus not much coming back either.
All the Best
Gary

Got it NP.

Alrighty then.

I did put the dual-band Tram together today and mounted it approx 20' up for now. I used the RG8X and soldered a PL-259 on each end so that when I actually get my tower fully erected I will use the RG8X for an HF Dipole and get a different feed line going to the Dual-Band antenna.

You should know from past history that my priorities are in HF. VHF & UHF I have little experience with outside of the daily use of them while in the fire service.
Hopefully this year the propagation will begin to open up.

While waiting for my name and call sign to appear in the FCC database I have time (but limited materials) to build out my antennas. It is not easy looking at the radios on my bench knowing that I passed my tests but cannot transmit until my name appears in ye olde FCC database. And then I will apply for my chosen Vanity Call almost immediately. (y)

Hopefully, I can achieve success on these projects before the end of my lifecycle. :coffee::D

Thanks again Gary. Have a great day!
Talk to you later.
Greg

After 40+ years of putting it off, I finally sat for and passed Element 2 & 3!
Now I must wait because the VE says that he sends the paperwork via USPS instead of electronically so that will definitely slow down my official update in the FCC database.

I have heard people say that the vast majority receive their update the same day it is sent if electronic as the FCC auto-updates every hour during regular business hours.

Oh well, at least I passed! (y)

(y)(y)(y)

DX Engineering Multi-Band Dipole Antennas DXE-WA-135

$73.99

I spec this kit for several reasons: COST
It comes with all the goodies to build the 80 thru 10 meter Doublet.
135 feet of #14 flexweave wire.

The Center insulator w/stainless hardware.
The 2 end insulators.
PLUS 100 feet of Kilowatt++ rated #18 300 Ohm Twin Lead feedline~!

I built my 8JK (Phased Dipole Array) using 2 of these!(y)
I found them to be an Excellent Value, plus Very Durable.
The Center insulator is great.
All one needs is a good tall tree(s), to get the Center up about 40 feet (or more!:D)
Have enough real-estate to stretch it out, so the center legs are greater than 90 degrees at the apex.(I prefer to get greater than 120*).
Dacron rope or H/D Weedwhacker line...etc.
Then add a GOOD MANUAL tuner, or auto style that has a built-in balun using balance line connectors.

Your on the air, quick, simple and effectively.
This is a great starting point for any new or even seasoned operator.

When built for 80 meters (using the wire included).
This antenna will have GAIN in several directions on 20/17/15/10 meters !!!

DX Engineering Multi-Band Dipole Antennas DXE-WA-260

This kit will get 160 thru 10(needs lots of room 260ft end to end!)
OR: Build the 80 thru 10 meter version and have 130 feet of #14 flexweave wire left over for other antenna projects for just $15.00 more that the first kit listed!
$89.99

One could save a few pennies by building ends and center insulators them self's but be tough to save more than a few dollars by the time you buy and build it yourself. IMHO
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

Reactions: YR Mason FL
Thanks Gary! I'll check them out for sure.

Tall trees you say?
Well, I have a few here, well over two dozen or more mostly very old southern live oaks a few tall magnolias, and some tall pines. (if you look at the overhead of our property you can see there are a handful of trees to choose from :))

Right now I have a basic dipole up for 40 and it's not too bad of a match for 6 meters without the MFJ Tuner inline. Still, I need a better solution, and one of those that you listed might be that solution. I need to get this tower up.

It's not easy finding affordable bare twisted or braided #14 or 12 copper wire around here as I planned on building a nice multiband dipole and a balun. So many options.

Thank you for your continuing guidance on this is very helpful.

Were you on 50 this AM? (50.145) I heard a Florida station talking to someone but I was still basically sleeping walking at that moment. (not a morning person these days)

Have a great day Gary. Call or text me sometime. I'd love to chat with you while waiting on my call sign to be officially posted.

Thanks again.

Greg
Aerial View 2019.jpg Arial View.jpg Flags Red and Blue Thin Line.jpg

The DXE-WA-135 will not be in stock until after April 21, 2021.

They sure do put a high value on their 1:1 Balun! I think that I will build my own.
I do have a question about that balun. Of all the videos that I have viewed on building baluns, they use enamel-coated wire. DX Eng uses a jacketed one in this particular one. It appears to be similar to shielded coax (see photo).

Also, does a cap need to be used as some suggest on multiple-band wire antennas?

dxe-mc20-1-1t_wp_xl.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated