• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

First QRP uBitx contact.

QRP FT8 can be very successful. I was doing 4 watts on my KX2 in Feb.

Attachments

• Malen FT8 2020 02 02.PNG
    Malen FT8 2020 02 02.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 178
Reactions: vu3hzw and HomerBB
QRP talk is like end fed talk. Most here look down on it. Perhaps someone with your standing can further the cause without the backlash. Hope so!
Love your setup, Homer!
Then I guess at times I would be banished. If there are trees on a mountain summit, I used an EFHW tossed up in the trees and use slightly more than QRP (12 watts). I have talked from Spain to New Zealand and almost every state / province in NA. Only time I use power (45 watts) is when the conditions are bad.

QRP talk is like end fed talk. Most here look down on it. Perhaps someone with your standing can further the cause without the backlash. Hope so!
Love your setup, Homer!
Riverman, I don't know about any standing, but I do know about having fun. And I know that QRO isn't possible in all places or circumstances.

As most know, I have never gravitated toward high power. The most I've used on a continuing basis was ~100w. Usually it has been whatever the radio supplied. My Icom provides up to 100w, and I often find it tough to get into pileups with that. Managing contacts with QRP just offers another dimension of operating with its own allure.

Operating 100w on 80m a ham once told me to get more power or get off of 80m (I did not "friend" him on Facebook). So, I realize some hams find it frustrating to try working a station sending to them QRP. They can do what they do when they don't want to talk to a station... Some of us enjoy the challenge and the joy that comes from a long distance QRP QSO.
Then there is the portability aspect. Having a light weight, fast deploying station in a bag, box, or suitcase is the solution to feeding the ham radio appetite, especially in and from obscure locations (like my mother-in-law's house ). I am disinclined to pack up my entire station to go stay a week somewhere, and mobile setups are, IMHO, a terrible compromise choice on lower bands.
Besides, building an antenna system that works well QRP is my kind of thing. If it will do QRP, I believe it certainly will do QRO.
I have to wonder what I can possibly be missing...?
Radio
Antenna system
QSO...
Yep, it's all there.
Homer

Riverman, I don't know about any standing, but I do know about having fun. And I know that QRO isn't possible in all places or circumstances.

As most know, I have never gravitated toward high power. The most I've used on a continuing basis was ~100w. Usually it has been whatever the radio supplied. My Icom provides up to 100w, and I often find it tough to get into pileups with that. Managing contacts with QRP just offers another dimension of operating with its own allure.

Operating 100w on 80m a ham once told me to get more power or get off of 80m (I did not "friend" him on Facebook). So, I realize some hams find it frustrating to try working a station sending to them QRP. They can do what they do when they don't want to talk to a station... Some of us enjoy the challenge and the joy that comes from a long distance QRP QSO.
Then there is the portability aspect. Having a light weight, fast deploying station in a bag, box, or suitcase is the solution to feeding the ham radio appetite, especially in and from obscure locations (like my mother-in-law's house ). I am disinclined to pack up my entire station to go stay a week somewhere, and mobile setups are, IMHO, a terrible compromise choice on lower bands.
Besides, building an antenna system that works well QRP is my kind of thing. If it will do QRP, I believe it certainly will do QRO.
I have to wonder what I can possibly be missing...?
Radio
Antenna system
QSO...
Yep, it's all there.
Homer

Homer,
Nothing more need be said. You nailed it.
(y)(y)(y):D:D:D

Reactions: HomerBB
I like my ubitx. I put mine in an old cb base gutted. Added a gel cell 12v battery inside. It's my power fail radio and fun qrp. Its actually impressive for what it is

Reactions: HomerBB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.