• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

First Radio?

Mongoose

Mar 11, 2009
Warren, Michigan
Hello, I just ordered the book for studying for my TECH license and was wondering what radio should I buy for starting out. Your suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

Any decent entry level HF radio should suit your needs. It depends on how much you really "want" to spend. You can get a good setup for around 1200-1500 new with a good antenna tuner, antenna and power supply. I have not yet taken the ticket plunge yet but will some day. I have been looking at HF radios for a bit myself and have really been keen to the Icom IC-7200 with an Antenna tuner as well. LDG makes a pretty good antenna tuner but are a bit on the expensive side. In the end it's up to you, I would really shop around before you make the purchase, if you can't afford new, look on CL or the forums and try to find a good used HF radio. With it new I guess you get some piece of mind that the unit will function and if not you have a warranty. Also there are extended warranties up to 3 years I think on some radios. Take your time and get the radio you want! JMO. And don't forget the antenna as well as this is the most important piece of equipment besides the radio. Do well on your test and god bless.

Reactions: Mongoose
Being on a tight budget, max budget is $100. I was looking at these or something similar to start out. If I don't like being a HAM then I will not be out much money.
Baofeng UV5R

Click to open expanded view

BaoFeng UV-3R PLUS
Baofeng 997-S GT

Good entry level radio to get your feet wet get the programming cable with it for 6 bucks and download Chirp to program it with. If you cen fit it into the budget a good after market antenna will make it a new radio, hte stock antenna leaves a lot to be desired in the performance dept.

Reactions: n8fgb and Mongoose
Starting out with an ht is not the best option but if money is tight the uv-5r is not a bad choice. Don't spend the extra for the gt-3 as it is nothing more than the 5r in a different package. If you want to spend a tiny bit more get the uv-b5, better radio for about $10 more. Whatever you do buy the programing cable as well and download Chirp software, this will make your life much easier with programing.

Good luck on your test!

P.s. don't rule out buying a used two meter mobile, you should be able to pick one up for around $60 and with an antenna for the car you would be in under you spending limit. This word give you a much better entry into ham radio with more power,

Last edited:
You mentioned used 2 meter, are there any that stand out that you would recommend?
I have been looking at the UV-5R but I was also thinking about a mobile but wasn't sure which one being new or used.

The handhelds you mentioned are good choices. Maybe pick up an extra battery and a little dual band magnet mount. If you shop carefully, you can get all three for a C note.

Do you have a lot of repeaters in your area that you can hit with an HT? You might not know the answer to that until you try it, but if you let us know where you're at, we can look up the repeater listings.

I like the idea of saving a bit of extra cash and buying a good used mobile. A 2m only 50 watt radio might just get you on the air with all your locals. You can often find deals on things like a Kenwood TM-281A, like this one on ebay that is $100 right now:

eBay item #181520840004

Last edited:
I live in Warren, MI 48088, That is just north of Detroit about 10 miles. I will get the UV-5R with an extra battery along with the programming cable try to understand the process and look for a mobile that you mentioned.

So far this is what I am looking to get from Amazon.

Baofeng Programming Cable for BAOFENG UV-5R

BaoFeng UV-5RB Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-Way Radio + Replacement Battery (Black)

Genuine Nagoya NA-771 Dual Band 144/430Mhz U/V SMA-F Antenna For BAOFENG UV-5R

Last edited:
I would think you could hit a 2 meter repeater 10 miles away (depending on terrain) with a good antenna and the HT. It will be a push with the stock or better HT antenna. There are some easy home brew 1/4 wave base antennas you can make from coathanger wire and a SO-239 bulkhead connector that only cost about 3 or 4 bucks, but then you still have to get coax. I use a N9TAX antenna, and it works great. You can build one yourself, too, but I found his assembly work to be a lot better than my own. http://www.2wayelectronix.com/Dual-band-2m-70cm-Slim-Jim-Antenna-with-16-rg-58-dual-slim-16.htm I would recommend that you order the SMA or BNC adapter on the coax assembly, and then order the small RG-174 coax adapter for flexibility and not messing up the connector on your HT.

For first timer savings while determining your interest in ham radio, I'd hold off on a bigger/extra battery for now. I've found my little stock Baofeng battery will hold a charge for a week to two weeks just monitoring (not scanning), and trasmitting usually gets me about 2-3 days depending on how long winded I get. I have a UV-5R and a UV-82. Both are great little inexpensive HT's. You can probably get the UV-5R cheaper. I actually looked some up, and you can get the programming cable for 7 bucks, and the HT for 30.76. Sometimes you can bundle items on Amazon and the total order gets you free shipping.. wither way you're looking at about 85 bucks total for the HT, programming cable, N9TAX antenna and adapter. And that will get you on the air in a real decent way! If you decide you like ham radio, then look at getting a higher power mobile rig. A Larsen 2/70B dual band 2 meter/70cm mobile antenna will work great, and not break the bank.

Keep studying... it's a fun hobby that I have just started to enjoy over the last two years. Passed tech last July, and passed General in August.

Brett

I have put my order in for the radio and such, now I need a SWR meter that will cover the 2 meter 440 range. I see antenna analyzers, do i need this or will a SWR meter be sufficient? I have a Dosy Libra 631 but I don't think it will cover the 2 meter range.

I have put my order in for the radio and such, now I need a SWR meter that will cover the 2 meter 440 range. I see antenna analyzers, do i need this or will a SWR meter be sufficient? I have a Dosy Libra 631 but I don't think it will cover the 2 meter range.

Cool... which radio did you order? The UV-5R? For meters, your Dosy won't do you any good for VHF/UHF. See Captain Killowatts links. I have the MFJ version of the Diamond one listed, and it works very well. Made of metal, too. One meter I'd stay away from (based on M42duster's review and the ARRL review) is the Comet CMX-2300. It offers everything you could want, except accuracy. :LOL: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/ProductReviewsForDeb/2013/pr072013.pdf

An analyzer is a really sweet tool, and I still plan on buying one. Not really necessary for you at this point, but you might be able to borrow one from a local club member.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.