• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fm broadcast?

Cheech

Apr 6, 2005
Medina county Ohio
Anyone into pirate radio? I know at this time it very illegal but the FCC might be changing things. This has got me interested in it becouse we have nothing but crap stations here anymore. They play the same bull over and over and when there not playing that its comercials. I would like to start a station and play good music( Clasic rock, Rock, Hard rock and some metal) without all the stupid comercials and overplayed crap! I think it would be funny to put some of theese stations to shame but it would only be a small area becouse I can not aford to run the power like they do. Anyway I would like to know if anyone else is into this and has info on it. Thanks!

It's still very illegal. Check the FCC page for citations. The vast majority are for illegal FM stations in the standard FM broadcast range.

pirate radio

I know that there is a segment in the ruling that states u can run a low power radio station. If u stay with oin power and focus on the antenna u would be surprised , there is also internet radio that lets u play what u want, to a directed audience.

Yep it seems they are trying to get the FCC to change there rules for low power FM. If I remember right its only 100 watts or less but right now its only for educational and buissness purposes.

And there are the folks who make a political argument for "non-corporate" broadcasting, as the last bastion of truly free speech. The broadcast spectrum is a finite, scarce resource that is managed on our behalf by the FCC for the collective good. These folks make the comparison to another finite, scarce resource, Yellowstone National Park. So, if it gets overcrowded, you only let folks in who can pony up a twenty-thousand dollar "user fee". This cuts down overcrowding so the crowds don't destroy it for everybody. They make the comparison to broadcast license priveleges. If you can't pony up the millions for a broadcast license, you don't get heard. They compare it to putting a newspaper press in your basement, so you can distribute your "underground" paper where you wish.

Yeah, yeah I can hear the skeptical noises already. But here's one golden example of the political troublemaker at work, God bless him.

Free Radio Berkeley

Stephen has pretty much quit selling the transmitter/antenna/filter kits and now concentrates on education, showing folks how to get on the air. How to build, maintain and operate the equipment. He invited me to help put on his seminars outside the USA, but I had to turn him down. Got a job, and it won't wait while I traipse off to Brazil or Mexico for a month.

The latest new development is his TV-transmitter designs. FREE TV! No joke. Stephen's a talented RF designer and his stuff works. But hey, he's a real, live free-radio evangelist. Check out his site and see if you don't agree.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.