• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FM coming to CB in the US ?

Did some FM DX a few weeks back, KY to upstate NY. I was a FM virgin before that. Not sure how much I would use it in place of SSB.

What was the reason, that FM was banned in US?

Not what the FCC had in mind for a "Citizens Band" when they tore the 11 meter band away from amateur radio. Seems as if FM would've been a good fit for what they mandated the CB to be however; short range local communication for citizens and small businesses. Instead they gave us a mode and band that would propagate long distances and told us not to use it that way.

So if you read the PDF it looks like Cobra's request for FM use on CB was granted in 2017.
Now we have to dig through the later paperwork and find out where this stalled in the last 4 years.

Jeff

I have difficulty understanding these government-issued reports, but my interpretation of the reference to 2017 was when they lifted the 150 mile-contact limitation, and whatever else they did back then, Cobra’s request for FM mode was not authorized at that time. I think this says Cobra basically pushed the issue, and it is now a “reconsideration” of the 2017 R&O.

Since the request is coming from a manufacturer, and it seems the FCC is on board with the idea, I think this will happen. And yes, while we can use FM now (illegally), and the FCC doesn’t care about us, this would allow Cobra and President Electronics and others, to sell new multi-mode radios to the US market, and that is the big factor here. Always follow the money. It will lead you to the truth (same can be said about the recent “pandemic”).

4. Section 95.967 is amended by revising paragraph (a) to read as follows:
§ 95.967 CBRS transmitter power limits.
(a) When transmitting amplitude modulated (AM) voice signals or frequency modulated (FM) voice signals, the mean carrier power must not exceed 4 Watts.

5. Section 95.971 is amended by revising paragraph (a) to read as follows:
§ 95.971 CBRS emission types.
(a) Permitted emission types. CBRS transmitter types must transmit AM voice emission type A3E or SSB voice emission types J3E, R3E or H3E, and may also transmit FM voice emission type F3E.

6. Section 95.973 is amended by revising paragraph (a) to read as follows:
§ 95.973 CBRS authorized bandwidth.
(a) AM and FM. The authorized bandwidth for emission types A3E and F3E is 8 kHz.

7. Section 95.975 is amended by adding a new paragraph (c) to read as follows:
§ 95.975 CBRS modulation limits.
(c) When emission type F3E is transmitted the peak frequency deviation shall not exceed ±2 kHz.

the appropriate sections of Part 95 with regard to CBRS and the FM option have been amended.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?