1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

FM coming to CB in the US ?

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by CDX8412, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Crawdad

Crawdad Down in the mud invasive species

Yes, it'll be great when all three modes are operating (or attempting to) on the same frequency at the same time. With big amps. Can't wait. Should be fun. Maybe they'll add CW in too. C'mon FCC, hurry up.

2. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

We have FM since forever here.
    99.9% are using AM.
    I use FM to DX - many stations abroad use FM only on legal 40. AM is banned in some EU countries.
    Also I use FM on local chitchat more pleasant to listen, better bandwidth.
    Mike

3. Crawdad

Crawdad Down in the mud invasive species

Am not bashing FM. It's the combination of three modes onto one set of 10kHz spaced "channels" that doesn't make sense. We're not like Europe here, yet. It's already like unrestricted warfare in parts of the USA. Adding another mode won't help unless their intention long term is to remove AM/SSB. That should be fun.

4. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

And one more thing: there is much less interference from FM, channel bleedover is not existent.

WECSOG, Bow, Slowmover and 2 others like this.
  5. The20poundhammer

The20poundhammer Sr. Member

I used to work a station in Costa Rica on FM and it worked really well for us. Also a friend in Brazil and I did it a while back works pretty well for DX.

AudioShockwav and Crawdad like this.
  6. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

I wonder what the deviation standard will be? I can see it now, the truck stop cb shops will be selling the FM super whack pack.......

USXDriver, NZ8N and Crawdad like this.
  7. midnight special

midnight special Sr. Member

my thoughts,, we have a cber with to much to drink here in the tampa bay area that gets on 19 fm and just wants to upset every one,, fm is fine but the need to expand the band for it,,, and with so many snake oil ideas it will be a poop show,, there are cbers that have been in it for years and cant even use ssb think of them when fm comes along and they trying to get it to swang swang on fm with 1500 watts,, here there are so many agitators that if ya try to talk sideband they will be right there talking to their selves on am,, i can imagine what happens with fm,,

NZ8N, Shadetree Mechanic and Crawdad like this.
  8. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

Ah yes, the New Kids On The Block - will now be known as - The New Kids On The Stereo

Rwb and Crawdad like this.
  9. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

IIRC 2.5KHz was the standard deviation used in Europe.

10. Cabover Bob

Cabover Bob Tap tap tap......pay attention

It's now subject for YT videos as well.

Novice question - can am and fm operators communicate with each other ? Or are fm transmissions only received by an fm receiver ?

Shadetree Mechanic and Rwb like this.
  11. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

It's fun to see someone reinventing the wheel :)

12. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

yep the fred flintsone of airwaves

Bow and Crawdad like this.
  13. Jay Mojave

Jay Mojave Sr. Member

FM on CB this will be great! Repeaters will show up and the wars will start, oh what fun. AM and SSB will always be there, but now long range repeaters will go up and have significant longer range as compared to say 2 meter repeaters, some what.

We had CB repeaters back in the 1980's in the San Fernando Valley in Southern Ca, what fun it was. And there were FM, every body had 10 meter type radios modified for CB or Ham radios modified for CB.

If I remember right the input and output was different than the standard 10 meter repeaters having 100Kc separation. The input was below CH 1 and the output was above CH 40, probably 600Kc separation. The ham bones said our linear amps wouldn't work on FM, no they worked just fine.

Yes FM, what frequencies do they want to use?

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

14. TM86

TM86 Sr. Member

Shadetree Mechanic and Rwb like this.
  15. grimace

grimace Active Member