• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Frequency counter hook up???

Flyincoyote

Jan 28, 2018
Minnesota
Does anybody know how to hook up a frequency counter...i bought a cheapy chinese freq counter..put a bnc to pl259 and plugged the coax from my radio to counter??? Nothing started smoking...but had crazy frquency fluctuation

Ok thanks..hope the counter isnt fried..i have the scematics for the radio, ill try to find the heterodyne

Take a 3-4 inch piece of solid 12 ga copper wire, wrap it 5x times around your radio's coax, and then connect each wire of the freq counter input to each end of that coil. Tape that coil to the coax with electrical tape so it doesn't get unraveled or let it move around. It will get the signal to the freq counter by the principle of INDUCTION.

Hope you didn't already fry your counter . . .

Last edited:
Take a 3-4 inch piece of solid 12 ga copper wire, wrap it around 5x times around you radio's coax, and then connect each wire of the freq counter input to each end of that coil. Tape that coil to the coax with electrical tape so it doesn't get unraveled or let it move around. It will get the signal to the freq counter by the principle of INDUCTION.

Hope you didn't already fry your counter . . .

Frequency counters are not all created equal.

Finding out what you have would go a long way towards figuring out the best way to make it work on your radio.

Then again, if it's the kind that should hook to the inside of the radio, it would help even more to find out what kind of radio.

Reactions: Flyincoyote

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.