• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 98 VHP question.

Why isn't anyone talking about the new RCI-63FFC4 already listed on ranger's website. This radio is advertised as a 400watt radio with (4) 2879 Toshiba transistors in it. This will be the undisputed king of the mass production radio, so does that mean Galaxy will have to scramble to put out a similar model? I believe many radio junkies will hope so! Although, I did see forum member 4600 turbo beat Galaxy to the punch by converting his 98VHP to a 4 big pill making his the biggest Galaxy radio in the world!!! WAY TO GO 4600 TURBO!!!

I emailed RCI to see when this radio will be available and they responded back and stated it will not be out till later in march. Here is the link for this radio...
http://www.rangerusa.com/rci-63ffc4.html

other than the website i havent seen that radio forsale anywere,havent really looked
for it though

it has 4 -2879s
amp draw is 22amps

i bet i could take my cobra 29 with my 4pill 1446s and beat it to death
and better yet i would go as far to say i take my cobra 29 into my 3pill and still cut it lips off.

I can't see why someone would trash on Ranger radios, (although everybody is entitled to their own opinion) Ranger is the manufacturer of Galaxy, Connex, and General radios too. All these radios in my opinion are excellent. One difference is the features, or lack of, that sets one radio apart from the other.

This new Ranger radio does have a six digit frequency counter by the way, but yes, it has a small meter. The large meter on the galaxy radios does set them apart from the others without a doubt, that's just one of the reasons I prefer Galaxy over other radios!

This version of the high powered Ranger radio doesn't have sideband, but if you're current on new radios, you'll see Ranger has made a sideband version of the RCI-63FFC2. This radio is the RCI-69FFC2. One might assume that Ranger will probably come out with a sideband version of the new RCI-63FFC4 and call it the RCI-69FFC4, just like the differences between the current RCI-6300 and the RCI-6900 models wouldn't you say?

All I wanted to point out is that there is now a truly high powered radio already manufactured and I was wanting to know why there wasn't a buzz on any forums about it yet.

Last edited:
isee some now just another connex which is made by ranger anyway.yuck.
add a 6 digit counter large meter and ssb that would be a GREAT radio

I can't see why someone would trash on Ranger radios, (although everybody is entitled to their own opinion) Ranger is the manufacturer of Galaxy, Connex, and General radios too. All these radios in my opinion are excellent. One difference is the features, or lack of, that sets one radio apart from the other.

This new Ranger radio does have a six digit frequency counter by the way, but yes, it has a small meter. The large meter on the galaxy radios does set them apart from the others without a doubt, that's just one of the reasons I prefer Galaxy over other radios!

This version of the high powered Ranger radio doesn't have sideband, but if you're current on new radios, you'll see Ranger has made a sideband version of the RCI-63FFC2. This radio is the RCI-69FFC2. One might assume that Ranger will probably come out with a sideband version of the new RCI-63FFC4 and call it the RCI-69FFC4, just like the differences between the current RCI-6300 and the RCI-6900 models wouldn't you say?

All I wanted to point out is that there is now a truly high powered radio already manufactured and I was wanting to know why there wasn't a buzz on any forums about it yet.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking, Ray. No new design with 2879's...just use the existing amp from the 4300-300 and slap it on the 98VHP...call it a DX99XHP (XHP = eXtreme High Power), and we have our new radio we've all been waiting for. Galaxy's creme of the crop. It would sell like hotcakes.

Seriously Ray...we'd rather have that one now then wait forever for the 2879 model that has been put on hold indefinately.

What would set it apart would be a built-in noise filter, because there isn't one on the market that has an amperage rating high enough that would work with it.

Just a thought :)

I couldn't be more disinterested in the Connex 4300-300...basic crappy looking radio, small meter, no freq counter, no sideband...yuk. But a Galaxy with the same amp? Now THAT'S a radio!

Man, I have hundreds of posts here, but shows I'm a newb. Weird. Something must have gotten reset.

You could do that. LOL I've already done it, and since I have changed the pills in the amp from the 1446's to the 2879's. You to can have the biggest GALAXY RADIO IN THE WORLD!

The amp on the Connex 4300-300 was initially designed for the 2879 pills.

Oh, wait. don't do it. It will void your warranty and let me have the only 4x2879 pill Galaxy in the world! LOL

It sure is an AWESOME SETUP.

Oh, Also cobra 29's with a 4x1446 amps don't stand a chance. LOL.

Buy a bigger amp.

LOL Having the BIGGEST GALAXY IN THE WORLD SURE IS FUN!

Thanks GRTS.

Thanks sixbrix for acknowledging that what I've done is a great idea. Although, at great personal cost to myself. LOL I humbly accept this compliment.

Last edited:
Why isn't anyone talking about the new RCI-63FFC4 already listed on ranger's website. This radio is advertised as a 400watt radio with (4) 2879 Toshiba transistors in it. This will be the undisputed king of the mass production radio, so does that mean Galaxy will have to scramble to put out a similar model? I believe many radio junkies will hope so! Although, I did see forum member 4600 turbo beat Galaxy to the punch by converting his 98VHP to a 4 big pill making his the biggest Galaxy radio in the world!!! WAY TO GO 4600 TURBO!!!

I emailed RCI to see when this radio will be available and they responded back and stated it will not be out till later in march. Here is the link for this radio...
http://www.rangerusa.com/rci-63ffc4.html

Thanks, fourstringburn.... sniff,sniff, sniff...That brought tears to my eyes.

i wasdnt trashing ranger radios just giving my opion.if im gonna spend hundreds of
dollars on a radio its gotta have ssb otherwise a uniden 78 or cobra29 will do.lol
however i was wrong on one thing it does have the 6 digit counter.but why?no ssb
dont really tune or clarife ssb.im sure its a decent radio but WAYYY too much money
for just a am/fm only.and i havent seen the ssb version...yet

if you build it........they will come
im waiting for a 9 pill Kraco (1x2879 driving 8x2879) :p

im waiting ti hear someone talking about their 98vhp or their "4pill" ranger
and you watch me jump out the bushes and put a beating on that radio by itself
with my cobra 29 and my 4pill with 1446s

so you telling me
a ranger radio with 4-2879s will do 400 watts at 22amps draw max

anyways till i hear one on the radio or hear one of my local ducks
im gonna have him looking at his cb like its a tv and i got the remote control

but it will be a nice radio both the 98vhp and the new ranger coming out

im waiting ti hear someone talking about their 98vhp or their "4pill" ranger
and you watch me jump out the bushes and put a beating on that radio by itself
with my cobra 29 and my 4pill with 1446s

so you telling me
a ranger radio with 4-2879s will do 400 watts at 22amps draw max

anyways till i hear one on the radio or hear one of my local ducks
im gonna have him looking at his cb like its a tv and i got the remote control

but it will be a nice radio both the 98vhp and the new ranger coming out

First of all. Your wrong about the amperage draw of 4 x 2879's. Second My Galaxy 98VHP with 4X2879's does 550-600 watts. So the little 4x1446's is to small to compete. Not to mention that it is driven with small wattage to begin with. Your fooling yourself.

Your small amp does about 280watts max.

If and when you hear the Biggest loudest 98VHP 4 pill in the world. Run and hide 'cause you don't stand a chance. LOL.

"it has 4 -2879s amp draw is 22amps........"

14VDC X 22A = 308W DC INPUT.

in your dreams. how do you get 400W out if the DC input is barely over 300W?
second of all, the PEAK current draw for 4X2SC2879's is right at 80A., not 22.
hell, the amp is FUSED higher than that.

14VDC X 80A = 1120 DC INPUT........
@ 50% efficiency that's 560W OUT.

as far as the 1446 is concerned the difference in power output between it and a 2879 @ 27Mhz. is on the order of 10W.. with 4 devices that's 360W for 4XSD1446's and 400W for 4X2SC2879's........@ 50% over spec that's still 135W for the SD1446 and 150W for the 2879........

it's a lot of talk about nothing.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.