• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 98 VHP question.

"it has 4 -2879s amp draw is 22amps........"

14VDC X 22A = 308W DC INPUT.

in your dreams. how do you get 400W out if the DC input is barely over 300W?
second of all, the PEAK current draw for 4X2SC2879's is right at 80A., not 22.
hell, the amp is FUSED higher than that.

14VDC X 80A = 1120 DC INPUT........
@ 50% efficiency that's 560W OUT.

as far as the 1446 is concerned the difference in power output between it and a 2879 @ 27Mhz. is on the order of 10W.. with 4 devices that's 360W for 4XSD1446's and 400W for 4X2SC2879's........@ 50% over spec that's still 135W for the SD1446 and 150W for the 2879........

it's a lot of talk about nothing.

They do draw more amps than 22. It's closer to 40amps on my amp gauge.

I'm sure freecell is correct on the numbers, he usually is. Although,I beg to differ on the wattage of the 1446's.

Isn't it 70watts at 54mhz.

I wouldn't assume to know what that is at 27mhz. Is it greater?
That would make the difference between the 1446's and the 2879's 30 watts not 10watts.

Doesn't it also depend on what the pill is being driven by 4 watts or 30watts?

Although, The difference is still small. The 2879 box would come out on top. IMHO.

Last edited:
hey 4600 turbo you got any pics of this bad boy.(the 98EXP)

Just look at a pic of the regular 98VHP. there is no difference. It's the same heat sink. The only difference is on the in side of the amp and all you have to do is look at 4300-300 amp. Pictures of this amp are on cbtricks.com.

I believe there's a pic on this forum of the 4x2879 4300-300 amp.

98XHP or 98EXP. good names for this radio. LOL

I don't have the means to put a pic on the forum. Sorry.

Remember all I did was take the 4300-300 amp that was moded to have the 2879 pills in it and replace the original MosFet amp the 98VHP had. The mod for the 2879's is also on cbtricks.com.

Last edited:
I have a question. I got a 98 vhp in a trade. The receive is dead. Now when I say dead it does receive but like it has no antenna hook to it now pretend I'm not a complete idiot checked the front end every things as it should be. It transmits fine. The receive on am and ssb. Mixers are ok where do I go no work?

Can I translate this to It transmits fine on AM and SSB but there is no reception on either AM or SSB and when you transmit it modulates just fine on both AM/SSB?

That's right and I didn't say I've checked it with and without the amp section in line it is in the radio not the relay in the amp.
Does the receive "S" meter respond to a strong signal or even a weak signal just trying to establish certain criteria before going to a do this or that idea?

Yes it does to strong signals and with my old single generator. It's like q17 isn't working or d16 &d17 are bad but they tested good and I put in new in case I was reading it wrong.

so you don't have "no receive", you have "weak receive" is that right?

like, if you feed a 100uV signal into the antenna jack from the sig gen, you would expect to see around S9 on the meter.
what do you see at this input level?

1000uV?
what do you see on the meter?
can you hear the 1K tone from the sig gen, even if it is very weak?

if this seems to be your issue, the first thing i would try would be an alignment of the receiver. if any can does not seem to affect the sensitivity, that would be the section to start looking into further.
LC

the best way to do it is to keep turning the level of the sig gen down until you can barely receive the signal on the radio, and then align it.
as you go through the alignment, you may find one can that was way out of tune and when you peak it, the level comes way up.

turn the sig gen down again when this happens to keep the AGC from effecting your readings.

good luck!
LC

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.