• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX 88HL can't adjust high power.

Low_Boy

Jan 21, 2010
Rochester N.Y.
I have been testing parts and can not find anything bad including VR16 and VR13. Both VR 13 and 16 will adjust low power but when I put the button in Hi I get a 20 watt dead key and it will not adjust. Any help is appreciated. I can not figure out jow the circuit works.

try this on it. turn the mic gain all the way down. turn the low power VR all the way down. then adjust the high power 1st. then try to adjust the low power to 1 or 2 watts. see if that will work.

I had a 88 a few years ago and the low power would keep the high power unadjustable if it was turned up too high.

Last edited:
Make sure R238 is still there and not modified or shorted out or replaced with a diode or wire.

Reactions: Robb
R238 is in it is the right value and tested good.
I pulled the front off the radio. No one ever monkeyed with the Hi Lo power switch or it's wiring.
Wiring is correct and the switch checked good. The switch wires go to where they are supposed to go as to Galaxy 88 wiring diagram. Then I traced the two traces that go to VR 13 and VR16 no blobs, breaks or bad traces. Low power I get 3.4V on VR 13 and VR16. High power I get 9.22V on VR13 and 0V on VR 16 I tested that against my other Galaxy 88

The good working radio gets the same voltages for low power. On high power I get the same 0 volts on VR16 and I can very the voltage on VR13 by moving the variable resistor. but even cranked all the way open I can only get 7 volts. So possibly something is putting out more power than it should be.

Could it be a bad mode switch? Does not make sense.
I hope this can be understood I am going on little sleep.

Fixed
Can someone please explain. The leg of vr13 that goes to ground was never soldered. That is how it was when I got the radio. Some VR's only have 2 soldered legs. Why does this need 3 to work?

Attachments

• 20190606_182211.jpg
    20190606_182211.jpg
    585.8 KB · Views: 16

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated