• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX-94HP from Bells... Backwards Swing

well he did a shitty job. i never bought any radios from bells. and after seeing what he did to your radio. i never will
C'mon man, don't make it all doom and gloom. I just dropped $425 on this thing. I need some good news. lol

It works, but this one radio from them and I'm done with Bells. I just wish it weren't so damn hard to find a decent tech to buy from. Mark at Fine Tune seems to be a great tech that puts the test equipment first, but I can't wait forever.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Ouch. Hate to say this, but this radio is NOT a good choice if you are using it mobile and want to use it for SSB. Being a former tech guy, these radios have many issues with poor soldering from the factory that don't hold up well to the vibrations and such in mobile applications, and they are very "drifty" in SSB, you would have to keep a hand on the clarifier quite a bit to keep it on frequency. I have had many of these Galaxy radios come across my bench with the problems mentioned above.

I wish you would have came here to the forum first and got a recommendation before buying this radio. People here would have pointed you in another direction.

Now, as far as the "scratchy" sound you're getting at lower power levels, it is possible that the radio was not aligned 100% correctly. I have had people bring bone stock radios to me in the past with complaints of distorted and scratchy audio, and it turns out that the radio needed a proper alignment, which includes proper biasing of the driver and final MOSFETS. I have found the biasing of the driver and final to be off as much as a half of a volt(!) in some radios from factory. I'm not saying that the bias issue is the entire problem, but it can be a contributing factor. Good luck on this one. :(

~Cheers~

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
I wish you would have came here to the forum first and got a recommendation before buying this radio. People here would have pointed you in another direction.

I did, but not much activity on the thread. I was considering a few radios but in the end I picked this 94HP for it's classic looks and functionality as well as the side mic jack since I'm running a remote mic jack in my mobile. I'm not too worried about drift because it's dead-on frequency after it warms up a few minutes, and I've heard Galaxy has done better with build quality in more recent years.

Hmm, I must have missed that thread. Oops!

In all seriousness, since I'm not 100% sure what Screwdriver did on this particular radio, it wouldn't hurt to check the bias voltages on the driver, final, and on the PA board. They might be set a little low. The last 94HP I did I set the driver bias at 3.8V, the final at 4.0V, and the PA board at 4.2V. The radio did about 95W PEP on my Bird 43A meter on SSB. I set the low power limit on AM at about 8W, and the high power limit at 20W (deadkey). I never messed around with any limiters, and i did not "volt" the final or add any swing or NPC mods.

~Cheers~

I would say it would be good to send it back to undo what they did or get someone else to undo it. If my memory is correct, to open the frequencies up is to change that black wire from 1 pad to another.Everything else is their tune.

I would say it would be good to send it back to undo what they did or get someone else to undo it. If my memory is correct, to open the frequencies up is to change that black wire from 1 pad to another.Everything else is their tune.
I'd like to find someone to align it properly, but I did pay extra for a receive "mod" and the receiver seems excellent in the radio. I just don't know who I could trust to send it to.

C'mon man, don't make it all doom and gloom. I just dropped $425 on this thing. I need some good news. lol

It works, but this one radio from them and I'm done with Bells. I just wish it weren't so damn hard to find a decent tech to buy from. Mark at Fine Tune seems to be a great tech that puts the test equipment first, but I can't wait forever.
JUST ASK HIM. LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.