• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy dx86v

Bump for 86v goodness. Thinking about buying one. Urge to buy radio very strong, can't hold out much longer.....

:whistle:

Got mine from the guy right above you (Post #32).

Pocket Rocket

In a car with a nice antenna system (as you’d do it), there’d be no real need for an amp (at least not turned on most of the time).

You’ve seen me say that the Galaxy nature of audio filtering (signal strength) and that big meter make for great feedback on approximating distances to other drivers.

You can make short work of decision-making while driving. After a while you’ll have their distance down to a mile or three when on familiar ground.

I think this a great thing in metro areas with two or more major roads about. Confidence

Next, a Galaxy pairs up great with a West Mountain Radio CLEARSPEECH DSP Speaker:

1). Hear (Amateur-level DSP).

2). Get Heard (Legendary Galaxy AM audio + dual-final juice)

— Add one very tall Sirio 5000 on a PL-145 mag-mount and bake at 77-MPH.

I realize you’re a ways out, but THE TEST in your region is Hagerstown, MD. That’s a high blood pressure zone where IH-81 and IH-70 cross and for a dozen miles in each direction. A weekday morning about 0830 and guys are starting to fall behind . . . the trucks and cars are both pushing the envelope too far.

Had me a little Voice-of-God in my pickemup thru there would be shuckin’ & sortin’ at a clip most couldn’t follow . . . .

You could also be the guy proves out, what microphone the rest of us ought to buy for a Galaxy, as I’d bet you could close most of the gap between them and Stryker (a bit more “clarity” they seem to have). (The 447 heard more than the 955).

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
And once you’ve done your rounds park at that local high spot and work some Skip. Or Sideband with your friends & family.

If you don’t have a Galaxy, consider the purchase the audio comparator for other radios on AM.

Didn’t realize my DX-99v2 was as muddy on SSB as it was till I got the Pocket Rocket.

A U880, U885 & U980 were all workmanlike radios I’d acquired in the years since the 99. Also, a 979. With or without a KL-203p, there wasn’t anything exciting about them.

The DX-86V was getting questions asked almost immediately. I wasn’t being requested to repeat myself on-air. Etc.

Granted, I’ve been on the learning curve awhile, so take that grain of salt. Had a good tune, had a great mic (after a few substitutions).

I’m certain you’d have no problem selling it here if it came to that given judicious alignment, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.