• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Getting the ticket

It's the formality that keeps me from taking the plunge. The 5 year olds olds make me want to move up and away. There's very little etiquette anymore nor forgiveness for formality forgetfulness in the learned.
I also was was wary of the formality compared to 11m but havent really found it. I have found very little formality, just a level of respect and etiquette that keeps things working well. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it all works without the need of the Frequency Police that the Amateur bands are "known" for on the 11m band. Just use your callsign and respect others and you'll have no problems.

Reactions: S&W357 and Rwb
I also was was wary of the formality compared to 11m but havent really found it. I have found very little formality, just a level of respect and etiquette that keeps things working well. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it all works without the need of the Frequency Police that the Amateur bands are "known" for on the 11m band. Just use your callsign and respect others and you'll have no problems.
I'm just not a huge fan of ham hf. The randomness is kinda boring because you never know what to expect. I can hop on 27.385 and know exactly what I'm going to find and how I'm going to operate. I know I'm probably going to find some old timers on .355 and .365. 27.400 is where I find good qso's.

I've had a 1000 watt station setup into a 20m dipole for almost 2 years and I haven't keyed it since CQWW 2021. It's really strange, but it just doesn't really float my boat like 11m does.

Well that's the first time I have ever heard that. Randomness is usually what keeps things interesting and far from boring.
The best I can explain it is like this

Ham radio is like walking through a giant office building. Everyone acts similarly, dresses similarly, and talks similarly. It can be difficult to know what kind of people you are talking to.

11m is more like walking down the street. They are actually themselves and that shows through in their operating style and what street they are on.

My preference is definitely not typical. Based on what I have seen of the OP's post on the forum, I think he'd like amateur radio.

The best I can explain it is like this

Ham radio is like walking through a giant office building. Everyone acts similarly, dresses similarly, and talks similarly. It can be difficult to know what kind of people you are talking to.

11m is more like walking down the street. They are actually themselves and that shows through in their operating style and what street they are on.

My preference is definitely not typical. Based on what I have seen of the OP's post on the forum, I think he'd like amateur radio.

Well your experience is far from mine in that regard. People are people and any group is merely a cross section of society and that applies to ANY large group.

A general license gives one privileges that can easily allow for playing radio any hour of any day of any year of any solar cycle. That is pretty amazing, as it does kinda suck waiting for 11m conditions. Even ft8 is amusing for a while, especially if you live in a less common state.

Well your experience is far from mine in that regard. People are people and any group is merely a cross section of society and that applies to ANY large group.
While I completely disagree with your statement, I don't want to completely derail the thread with an argument about demographics.

Reactions: Rwb
The best description I have heard is ham radio is like a formal affair and 11 meters is like a back yard bbq lol... one black tie the other cutoffs and tee shirts lol
That's good, really good. But I'd liken the difference between a formal affair and crowded loud rowdy bar wherein you can't hear the person hollering in your ear.

Sadly, the loud mouths on 11m have their long lists of contacts to check off, seems nightly, have no regards for the lesser endowed. An operator simply needing a radio or mic check can't get a word in edgewise. Can I have a little Limburger, please.

Crawdad, your input is encouraging.

I do not find the HF bands to be formal. You can find formality on the bands if you look for it. It is there in places.
I find the HF bands to be very informal. You can find a qso to get in on most anywhere. No formalities, black ties, or tuxedoes required.
I get in with several different groups on several bands and just have a good ole time. Not everyone trying to talk over everyone else all the time as on 11 meters.
Don't get me wrong, I still get on 11 meters to catchup with some local and long distant friends, but at least on the HF bands, I don't have to yell over the masses or wade through the crowds.
I much prefer the HF bands over 11 meters.
11 meters is more like a mud wrestling "free for all" contest, whereas the HF bands are more like walking up to a buddy and slapping him on the back and saying "How's it hanging today?".

Last time I took the test I missed passing by two questions. I really should have studied, but it was on a whim as I was told they were testing others at that time. Maybe someday. I was surprised how many answers I knew about on the hamstudy site!

I rarely have any problems with starting a conversation and keeping it going. But then, I'm usually going 30 WPM or so on CW. If you only operate voice modes, you're missing a lot of fun, DX, and so forth.
I hope someday I can do 10 wpm, I only do 30 wpm on a keyboard, but I do hope to enjoy that part of radio. I have decided to get my ticket but I will always be a freebander at heart

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated