• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Going for Tech Test?????????????????????????

Big Dog

Sep 4, 2008
Im studing the AARL Ham radio manual and Im only a couple of chapters in and Im coming across some technical info that is way over my head. Im not saying I will give up but subjects like the metric international system of units and schematic symbols in circut diagrams, do these subjects have to be memorized? Just how complex is this test? I thought alot of ham radio was "learn as you go" after you get your license. Thank You for Any and all responses

Well it is and it isn't "learn as you go" there is a certain base level of knowledge required. I suggest if you can look for an amateur club in your area, they may hold classes that can greatly help you. Stick with it, it may seem difficult but with a little time and study it will come to you.

Good luck

I would recommend using a different book than the ARRL manual to study for the tech test. Try Gordon West's book...he explains things MUCH simpler. The book is cheap, too.

I agree with Moleculo BD, get the Gordy West book. I used them for both Tech & General. You're be in like Flynn.

Who the hell is Flynn anyway?

+1 execllent books! Also eham.net has some good random 35 question practice tests.Once you start passing them your in!

well, "some" things, you just HAVE to memorize,... band limits, allowed modes, power limitations, ect. ;)

other things fall into the "understand and figure it out" catagory.

can't help you with the first, but if you don't understand a particular theory or have a particular question, then post it up.

Im studing the AARL Ham radio manual and Im only a couple of chapters in and Im coming across some technical info that is way over my head. Im not saying I will give up but subjects like the metric international system of units and schematic symbols in circut diagrams, do these subjects have to be memorized? Just how complex is this test? I thought alot of ham radio was "learn as you go" after you get your license. Thank You for Any and all responses

Use this if ya want something a little easier

The KB7TBT Free Ham Radio Manuals and Help Page

Scroll down about 2/3 -3/4 way to where it says self study guides.

Ron

I also vote for the Gordon West study guides, they don't bog you down with a lot of theory you don't need to memorize, they give you the actual questions, the pool of answers, the right answer, and a simple to understand explanation of the right answer.

When I first got licensed in 1988, I used the Radio Shack Novice and Tech manuals and tapes, they were also written by Gordon West, when I got back into the hobby this past December, I again got the Gordon West Tech manual to brush up on the things I forgot, and the General manual. With only three weeks to study, I not only regained all that I forgot up to the Tech Level, but also passed my General test with ease.

Hookedon6 is also correct, you do need to memorize some things, and band limits are one of the most important of these, with no less attention given to things like modes, baud rates, power limits, and a lot of common sense safety working with electricity and RF.....

I was in the same boat as you. I got to chapter 4 and I was all confused. Ended up just going start to the question and answer and started memorizing then. Now that I passed, I'm reading the rest of the book.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.