• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Golden Falcon Base Amp - 10 tube

Those TV sweep tubes go for $60 plus new IF YOU CAN FIND THEM. If you have to re-tube one with 10 tubes you will pay $600+ for tubes. Makes no sense. If you have to use more than 2 tubes to make the power you want then you have selected the wrong tube.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
If I pull them from my 10'x20' storage bin of TV sweep tubes I have been hoarding for the last 35 years (400-600 total NOS sweep tubes) it is easy and cheap to re-tube a 10 tube (or a 12 tube) sweep tube amp.
If I ordered 2 3-500Z's from RF Parts for $480.00 (plus shipping) for my TL-922 or my SB-220, how long will these Chinese tubes last? Priced Eimac's lately?
Will the solder melt from around the pins of the tube in the first 5 hours of operation? (Again!)
The same Chinese 3-500ZG tube sold today for $239.50 was $100 less 12 years ago from the same retailer. Has the quality of that Chinese tube improved over the last 12 years to warrant more than a 100% mark up?
How about a steel tube Ameritron AL-1500? Priced one of those 8877 tubes lately?

I will stick to my sweep tubes until I run out of them. At the rate it is going I will probably be ok for another 20-30 years.

If you see any decent sweep tube amps (with a good transformer or without!) send them my way.

73's
David

I will stick to my sweep tubes until I run out of them. At the rate it is going I will probably be ok for another 20-30 years.

I too have a stash of NOS sweeps & feel the same way. I stocked up on them back in '99, when feebay sellers could be trusted & tubes weren't $80-$140 ea. (6LF6, 8950, M-2057)

I have roughly 30+ amps tucked away for 'whatever', along with a 43P Bird, Hickok 800A, xformer / cap checker, ect.

IMHO - way cheaper than stocking up on steel tubes.

8908 is a 6lw6 with 12v heater.
i dont remember if i had to change anything besides pairing the 6.3v heaters to run from 12.6v.
if it were mine i would rebuild at least the hv power supply.
a friend has one with a roasted plate transformer to show the presence of shorted capacitors.

8908 is a 6lw6 with 12v heater.
i dont remember if i had to change anything besides pairing the 6.3v heaters to run from 12.6v.
if it were mine i would rebuild at least the hv power supply.
a friend has one with a roasted plate transformer to show the presence of shorted capacitors.

The 6LW6 has its suppressor grid tied directly to the cathode. That eliminates their use in just about every RF amplifier unless the amp is grid driven. They have become quite popular with the tube audio folks for use in AF amplifiers that are grid driven.

First, I realize I am bumping a 12 year old post.
I put the 8908 tubes in this amp many yeas ago when I worked as the tech at Soltronics in Anaheim CA early 1980's. Andy did not build these amps with 8908s. This amp either had 8950's or 6LF6's originally. Andy was not in San Jose, he was in So Cal, La Canada IIRC. I still have his phone number and address written down... somewhere. I do not know if Andy is still alive... if he is he is probably in his late 70's now (or older). I don't remember how much older than me that he was... When I told him I was modifying his amps putting 8908s in them he cussed me out! I did several like this. Another respondent in this thread stated that 8908s are 12 pin tubes. They are not, they are 8 pin Octal bases. The M2057 tubes were the 12 volt heater 12 pin Compactron base versions of the 8908 made my MaCo. I did some swap outs on a GF 2K to M2057 tubes... for one of my friends/customer from CH.6 Can't remember his name and handle now, probably could if I thought about it for a while. Both tubes, 8908/M2057 and even the 8950 and 6LF6 are very difficult to find now. Sometimes you find them on Ebay but they're getting scarce. I sold all of my old stock there. Another poster stated that these sweep tubes can be replaced with Russian EL509/EL519... that is correct but the sockets have to be changed out and the power output will be considerably less.
My history: I've worked at several amp manufacturers and repair shops including my own over the decades, been into CB since the 1960's.
Sundance Electronics/Yak Shak in Garden Grove, CA where we made the original Silver Streak amps (and others); Soltronics in Anaheim, CA made Soltronics (with Bob B. the engineer from Hayden Electronics Sidewinder Amps) amps and repaired/modified many many amps and radios; I built the TX 250, 300, 350, 400, 500, 600 and 800 amps in the mid and late 1980's with Bob P., Worked at Yaesu and Kenwood as a repair tech, had a shop in several locations in Fullerton CA. I built the first AFAIK "8 pill" for 11M out of a Metron MA1000/swapped in 100 watt transistors and added a keying circuit (at Soltronics). Built a few 16 transistor amps and one 32 transistor amp. Then decided to let that business go and work in Telecom. I've built/rebuilt/modified thousands of amps over 5 decades.
I realize the amp discussed in this post is probably long gone to a new home somewhere. I hope someone is still using it.
I'm looking for my personal Golden Falcon 500 that I modified to 2 driving 6 tubes. It's very distinctive amp because the off/on switch is an AC breaker. If anyone knows where this amp is I would like to buy it back... or trade. I sold it 25+ years ago but regretted it ever since.
Steve

Hi - Jon here...
I have a Golden Falcon big base amp, with no tuning instructions.

A little history on the amp - first. It was made in the San Jose CA area -back in the day- by a man named Andy Anderson. Not sure if he's still around - but they were a great amp. Untill -I think- the FCC or "Uncle Charlie" (we use to call him) came a'knockin...

Anyway; does any techie know the proper tune method to tune this monster? It uses ten 8908 tubes. 1 drives 3; then the 3 drive 6 more. There's 4 tuning knobs - 2 for the driver section that say "plate" and "coupling". Then 2 for the final section that say "plate" and "antenna". I've tuned all for max output.

Has good output.
The amp puts out around 1400-1500 PEP/SSB on my LP-100A watt/SWR meter.
Very close to that on AM too.

So with that; who's the expert here?
The thing that throws me on this - is the coupling section.

So all of you "geeks wanna-be techies" - show me your stuff!
Anybody know how to tune this monster?

Here's my eBay listing for it:
GOLDEN FALCON 10 METER AMP - eBay (item 200425178727 end time Jan-12-10 16:52:18 PST)

Thanks!
Jon WB6SEW
-aka KW-35...

I put the 8908 tubes in this amp many yeas ago when I worked as the tech at Soltronics in Anaheim CA early 1980's. Andy did not build these amps with 8908s. This amp either had 8950's or 6LF6's originally. Andy was not in San Jose, he was in So Cal, La Canada IIRC. I still have his phone number and address written down... somewhere. I do not know if Andy is still alive... if he is he is probably in his late 70's now (or older). I don't remember how much older than me that he was... When I told him I was modifying his amps putting 8908s in them he cussed me out! I did several like this. Another respondent in this thread stated that 8908s are 12 pin tubes. They are not, they are 8 pin Octal bases. The M2057 tubes were the 12 volt heater 12 pin Compactron base versions of the 8908 made my MaCo. I did some swap outs on a GF 2K to M2057 tubes... for one of my friends/customer from CH.6 Can't remember his name and handle now, probably could if I thought about it for a while. Both tubes, 8908/M2057 and even the 8950 and 6LF6 are very difficult to find now. Sometimes you find them on Ebay but they're getting scarce. I sold all of my old stock there. Another poster stated that these sweep tubes can be replaced with Russian EL509/EL519... that is correct but the sockets have to be changed out and the power output will be considerably less.
My history: I've worked at several amp manufacturers and repair shops including my own over the decades, been into CB since the 1960's.
Sundance Electronics/Yak Shak in Garden Grove, CA where we made the original Silver Streak amps (and others); Soltronics in Anaheim, CA made Soltronics (with Bob B. the engineer from Hayden Electronics Sidewinder Amps) amps and repaired/modified many many amps and radios; I built the TX 250, 300, 350, 400, 500, 600 and 800 amps in the mid and late 1980's with Bob P., Worked at Yaesu and Kenwood as a repair tech, had a shop in several locations in Fullerton CA. I built the first AFAIK "8 pill" for 11M out of a Metron MA1000/swapped in 100 watt transistors and added a keying circuit (at Soltronics). Built a few 16 transistor amps and one 32 transistor amp. Then decided to let that business go and work in Telecom. I've built/rebuilt/modified thousands of amps over 5 decades.
I realize the amp discussed in this post is probably long gone to a new home somewhere. I hope someone is still using it.
I'm looking for my personal Golden Falcon 500 that I modified to 2 driving 6 tubes. It's very distinctive amp because the off/on switch is an AC breaker. If anyone knows where this amp is I would like to buy it back... or trade. I sold it 25+ years ago but regretted it ever since.
Steve
As

Steve
As

La mia storia: ho lavorato in diversi produttori di amplificatori e officine di riparazione, incluso il mio, nel corso dei decenni, sono stato nel CB dagli anni '60.
Sundance Electronics/Yak Shak a Garden Grove, California, dove abbiamo realizzato gli amplificatori Silver Streak originali (e altri); La Soltronics ad Anaheim, in California, ha prodotto amplificatori Soltronics (con Bob B. l'ingegnere della Hayden Electronics Sidewinder Amps) e ha riparato / modificato molti amplificatori e radio; Ho costruito il TX 250, 300, 350, 400, 500, 600 e 800 ampere a metà e alla fine degli anni '80 con Bob P., ho lavorato presso Yaesu e Kenwood come tecnico di riparazione, ho avuto un negozio in diverse località a Fullerton CA. Ho costruito la prima "pillola 8" AFAIK per 11 M con un Metron MA1000 / scambiato in transistor da 100 watt e ho aggiunto un circuito di manipolazione (presso Soltronics). Ha costruito alcuni 16 amplificatori a transistor e un amplificatore a 32 transistor. Poi ha deciso di lasciare andare quell'attività e lavorare in Telecom. Ho costruito/ricostruito/modificato migliaia di amplificatori in 5 decenni.
Mi rendo conto che l'amplificatore discusso in questo post è probabilmente andato da tempo in una nuova casa da qualche parte. Spero che qualcuno lo stia ancora usando.
Sto cercando il mio personale Golden Falcon 500 che ho modificato in 2 pilotando 6 tubi. È un amplificatore molto caratteristico perché l'interruttore off/on è un interruttore AC. Se qualcuno sa dove si trova questo amplificatore vorrei riacquistarlo... o scambiarlo. L'ho venduto più di 25 anni fa, ma da allora me ne sono pentito.
Steve
Sei grande !!!!

Sono in Italia e già nel 1973 ero affascinato da queste cose. Conosco personalmente Magnum Electronic (ME 1000 Amp. CB) che ha realizzato amplificatori lineari per CB. Ha usato 6KD6 1 + 4.

Bei vecchi tempi !!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated