• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good antenna analyzer without breaking the bank

AIM 4300. Only one worth buying.
Why? Cable does not have influence when measuring. Key feature.
Mike

Mike, I think I may have asked you this question earlier, but maybe it was just a thought I had when reading your post earlier.

I think I agree with you about the AIM type analyzer. I think Bob85 used to own one similar. I don't think he specifically talked about this feature you raise, but he did have a high regard for his device and its accuracy.

Can you tell us what this analyzer generally does that allows the cable not to have influence when measuring?

Copied from manufacturer webpage:
  • SWR referenced to any impedance
  • Resistance and reactance at the cable input
  • Resistance and reactance at the antenna terminals
No idea how it's done, just works.
Also it is very useful when measuring antennas "far" from 50 Ohm, because many of VNA further from 50Ohm bigger measurement error have.
Mike

I own an AIM 4170. This feature works well. The device gives similar results to the Hewlet Packard commercial VNAs, which is why I bought it. Good device, but expensive, although no where near as bad as the HP stuff...

The DB

Copied from manufacturer webpage:
  • SWR referenced to any impedance
  • Resistance and reactance at the cable input
  • Resistance and reactance at the antenna terminals
No idea how it's done, just works.
Also it is very useful when measuring antennas "far" from 50 Ohm, because many of VNA further from 50Ohm bigger measurement error have.
Mike

I own an AIM 4170. This feature works well. The device gives similar results to the Hewlet Packard commercial VNAs, which is why I bought it. Good device, but expensive, although no where near as bad as the HP stuff...
The DB

Mike and DB, I posted earlier that I seem to recall Bob85 telling me that he had an AIM type analyzer at some point in the past. Maybe Bob posted or emailed me a picture, but something about the image above reminded me of what I remember about Bob's analyzer.

I did a search for such a conversation with Bob, but found nothing.

My memory could be failing me, but I seem to recall Bob saying his analyzer required a laptop to show analyzer results and such. I think he also said this system used a Bluetooth feature. We did not discuss details, but I assume now it might have meant it was wireless.

Mike could this be how it works and why you posted, "AIM 4300. Only one worth buying. Why? Cable does not have influence when measuring. Key feature?"

Or, am I just dreaming?

Reactions: 357magnum

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated