• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Got a Sirio m 400 Star duster

If you want local, 9' to 43'.
If you want DX, ground mount it, or go to 52'.

Can't tell you about all around. Mine is at 44', but no real DX conditions right now. Worked out from 300 to 1300 miles. Nothing internationally.
Works fine locally.
I finished testing my homemade 11m 1/4 wave vertical dipole this morning and had a qso with a operator in Wyoming. He said I was coming in loud/strong. I had the base 30' off the ground.
I'm thinking of replacing my homemade 5/8 wave vertical dipole with it.
My research/testing had told me that the
1/4 wave vertical dipole will work better due to it's high angle radiation pattern at a distance.
The 5/8 wave vertical dipole is good for low angle radiation pattern towards the horizon. Alot of operator's that use to use the Starduster's back in the 1970's loved them because they could hear thing's that 5/8 wave antenna's couldn't. The last 2 day's I experienced this especially today when tuning around the band and not hearing any dx.
I then asked for a radio check on 27.185mHz am and a mobile operator came back to me from Wyoming said that I had a booming signal coming into his mobile. When solar cycle 25 starts to pick up I will switch back to my homemade 5/8 wave vertical dipole.
Living in the desert valley surrounded by mountains my homemade 11m 1/4 wave dipole antenna is better antenna for my area.
HomerBB why did you decide to go with a 1/4 wave?

I am also a ham operator, and CB is just one of the bands of interest to me. Because the conditions are currently poor to hit and miss on 11m I put up a simple reliable antenna while I concentrated on other bands.
I can circle back around to something else for 11m in time. This antenna keeps me active locally in the mean time.

I am also a ham operator, and CB is just one of the bands of interest to me. Because the conditions are currently poor to hit and miss on 11m I put up a simple reliable antenna while I concentrated on other bands.
I can circle back around to something else for 11m in time. This antenna keeps me active locally in the mean time.
Like you I like to build different types of antenna's to see which works best.
I have a 11m extended double zepp I build a few months ago and was thinking about putting it up in a inverted v configuration pointed north/south. Have you ever tried using a inverted v on 11m? Do you think it would work if I could get the bottom legs up 36ft off the ground for 11m?

When you get to the electrical dept. Buy some EMT in sizes that slide into each other for making a pushup pole. Close price to fence rail, and easier to use, IMO.

The coax will need to exit that pipe above the ground since the antenna will be mounted directly on top of it unlike most ground plane antennas.Have a short section mounted to the side of a longer mast is almost a must with these antennas unless you cut a notch out of the bottom section at ground level on one single run of pipe from the antenna.

SIX-SHOOTER

Like you I like to build different types of antenna's to see which works best.
I have a 11m extended double zepp I build a few months ago and was thinking about putting it up in a inverted v configuration pointed north/south. Have you ever tried using a inverted v on 11m? Do you think it would work if I could get the bottom legs up 36ft off the ground for 11m?
I have made and used an inverted V several times along the way. It is simply a dipole with a better impedence at the feedpoint. Some claim it's omnidirectional because of it's shape, however, so is the horizontal dipole when close to the ground. But, like its straighter cousin, as you get it in the air higher up it becomes bidirectional off the sides with horizontal polarization. Good for DX, but not for most locale work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boat Anchor 63
HomerBB,
Thanks I will stay with my homemade 11m 1/4 vertical dipole instead due to it performing better than my homemade 11m 5/8 vertical dipole.
I live in a desert valley area surrounded by mountain's and its working spectacularly awesome the last 2 days I tested it so the 5/8 is coming down. I always knew I needed a high angle radiation antenna and my 1/4 wave gets the job done.

How do you set the swr onthis antenna. The instructions suck on this thing!!!

1). Set antenna parts in back yard. Open window to house.

2). Go inside and have loud argument with wife.
(preferably when she’s gone).

3). Now, go set outside, clean & oil that .34-40 Winchester ‘86.

4). Grumble some. Spit. Mumble, “Any other cotton-pickin’ thing messes with me gets blown to kingdom come”.

5). Go back inside and get another cold one from fridge.

6). Return, . . and the antenna SHOULD have both assembled AND tuned itself during your absence.

7). One that isn’t ready for action will never do. Defective. Return and exchange for a live one.

Last edited:
undertaker, look at the tuning chart,

pick your frequency at the bottom of the graph & follow the line up to the thick black line,
then look across to the left for the length you set the radiator and radials to shown as L on the antenna image,

for 27.205 they want to be 2610mm or 261cm to get you in the ballpark,

then fine tune from there with your vswr meter by adjusting radiator & radials equally.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated