• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Great radio days can be few and far between but always worth the wait

loosecannon

Mar 9, 2006
I just had to post about the contacts i made on the radio last night.

There have been good and bad days as far as conditions go, and being home so much has me getting on the radio more and more often.

around these parts there is a guy in another state who drives up to the top of a 6000 foot hill and talks to us in town on ground wave at about 84 miles away.
he comes in at a solid S9 with about 700 watts.
Its fun to just listen to him talk as he will talk to a trucker through three states.

So as you can imagine it's always fun when he gets on the air. not to mention he's a great guy with a very talkative upbeat personality. that always helps when it comes to the radio hobby.

so last night i was talking with him an another local, all of us laughing about his 'CB field day', when he tells us to hang on a minute, and then to go to a quieter channel.

so we go to the new channel and keys up and tells me that he's talking to someone in his state who knows me!

he starts 'passing the five' for both of us, and the guy is asking if i remember talking to him on the old CBtricks forum.
he tells me the username and i flip out!
this is a guy i've corresponded with for years, helped eachother with projects, and then it occurs to me that i think the amp i am talking on was sold to me by him.

sure enough, the other guy asks him and he confirms it, "yep im the one that sold you that DX400 scorpion".

so not only did i get to have one hell of a nice night chatting to someone in another state, but got to "talk" to an old friend i hadn't heard from in forever because of that.

I have to say that i am very inspired right now to set up a hilltop station and find a high spot to go talk.
this guy was talking up to 300 miles on ground wave at 11pm on 11 meters.

so if you live in the middle of nowhere and the local radio is always dead, head up to the mountains with your amp and transmit to the whole area.

hope everyone is having a great and safe 4th of July.
LC

Well, I got home night before last after a 16-hour day, 600-miles , horrendous traffic and near tornadic winds coming into Dallas.

106F indoors at the house. Took till 0200 to cool below 80F.

Last night the power failed. I slept in truck. First time home since May.

An hour ago I had a new neighbor want to start a fight with me on my front steps.

I’d started the truck APU to cool it down from the 103F ambient to work inside. He was afraid Id leave it on again all night.

We sorted things. Practically friends now. Talked awhile.

How does it relate?. He and I both pushed too hard by circumstances of late. Not what’s on TV.

A man grows lonesome feeling he can’t be heard.

Call mine the darker flip side of the same coin as the OP s main post.

I hope you will indeed make yourself an EMCOMM GoBox. Climb the hill.

I found out my neighbor is an electrician. Won’t be hard (I think) to try and persuade him on a CB base station for his trailer. I have some donations to help.

Time hangs heavy. The spirit grows weary.

A welcome voice is one I’d look to make contact with every time I went that direction as a truck driver.

Keep us informed.

I like to find the highest point to see what I can scare up. There's a couple hills around here, but nothing like that dudes spot. That would be sweet.

You roll thru Knoxville there’s a guy like that. Easily heard, and friendly to boot. Understands the terrain, traffic and pressures. But I believe he’s parked in a BarcaLounger (at home).

Conditions were mental for DX last night. At 1am in the morning I was on the 20m band listening to loads coming in stateside and that band usually dies the death around 10-11pm.

10m band all day had loads on too.

A couple days ago I actually heard truck drivers on 19 discussing current news like the days of years gone by. Just made me smile, because you know it has to be true if you heard it on the CB.

That’s a regular. Everywhere. FOX and Rush. Not “news”, but insiders secrets revealed.

AM-19 also has rhubarb patch commentators. Wisdom-distillators. Comes a point I like to ask them their name and address. Leave 19 to truck drivers.

Having fun with “news” is common. Entertainment potential with lies promoted.

The Narrative died with the fall of the Berlin Wall. (Any idea of seriousness).

Being a conversationalist takes time to rough-cut, then hone.

“T-Bone” at Houston has the gift. Says nothing, but keeps the ball rolling. Used to hear him nationwide skip rolling, but not lately. A touch of this, a dollop of that. Sports, weather, not-really-news . . . and he adds reassurance about radio signal quality (almost walk over anyone) then is ready to move on.

Great voice (equipment is tuned perfectly). Locals getting a wee bit too drunk and he’s answering calls from skip-land.

Things stay in bounds. The ideal tavern owner. Action starts near 1700. Goes till about 2200.

Does mobile work at the X64 IH45 Flying J Travel Center. Shop nearby. Minimal mentions. Have only heard him solicit a time or two. Usually telling men where he can be found is the extent of that.

Can make a 29 walk the dog.

The tools are in being an essayist. Mike Royko, or Charles Lamb. Taki, or Bellaire. Having a take, but it’s Everyman. WE, not “me”. The art isn’t in an opinion on the subject, but in the presentation.

Being good used to mean there’s at least two camps claim they know your true feelings politically.

Erasure of self, is the power.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Delaware has no mountains, but we do have a lake in town. I am going to drive by today after work to see what the noise level is there.

2NC995 or someone mentioned what we expect of that: an old-fashioned copper radiator as your system ground heaved on 2/0 cables into the water from the launch ramp.

Run the V8 engine idle up to 1,400-rpm on a vernier-control throttle.
Engage remote amp start.

Cookin’ with gas down Delaware way.

Got myself a shiny new President McKinley yesterday, dug my 20 year old Imax 2000 out - it's 24ft Marconi ;), popped it on the 20ft pole my Cobwebb used to sit on and had a blast on 11m this afternoon.

Just spent 15 minutes having one of the best conversations I've had on radio for the longest time talking with a QRP station 350 miles away about building antennas. Reminded me of what the amateur HF bands were like when I first started, not the 5/9 73 QRZ "norm" it has become today.

Was also nice to run a frequency for a while with DX from all over Europe coming in, especially given I was running the McKinley barefoot.

Slo , Iv'e mentioned that H20 thing many times . All I can say is it worked for me . I first learned on a 56' Bertram while on a date w/ my " Now " wife ! We use to take my uncles boat move down to the local Night Club , " Chick Hot Spot " ( Did this Many times before we met ) give the guy a 20$ bill & dock there Friday Nights . I talked a lot of DX on that 23 ch Am Navaho w/ a Big Stick from the Fly Bridge while sipping Cocktails ! I think that's why my wife puts up with my radio addiction now , considering how we met .:LOL: Also on dates " Sometimes " I would back my 63' Ford Ecoline Van down the boat ramp on the Salt Water , through 2 jumper cables in the H2O connected to my frame & talk DX ! Not sure why ever did these thing on a date , but still married after 45 years ! Guess what ? She still thinks my hobby is Stupid ! :ROFLMAO: I wonder why ? :D Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless ! Leo

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?